[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ what were some primitive ways to clean your gun and remove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Naval Weapons1000.jpg (117 KB, 576x415) Image search: [Google]
Naval Weapons1000.jpg
117 KB, 576x415
/k/ what were some primitive ways to clean your gun and remove rust.

I mean during the 1700s and 1800s probably early 1900s they didn't have the good stuff like we had. What did they use to maintain their funs?
>>
>>28066659

>YFW the metal was so damaged from salt water exposure and storm exposure in the Caribbean.
>>
oil + elbow grease.
>>
>>28066659
heard they used bronze in some way.
>>
>>28066730

>Oil

what? Whale oil during the 1700-1800s?
>>
>>28066775
any oil works vegetable probably
>>
>>28066659
Vinegar is great for rust removal, I've used it a few time to get rust off old tools and such.
>>
File: 1421038443348.jpg (22 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1421038443348.jpg
22 KB, 251x251
>>28066659

>MFW Movies that take place during the colonial period make reloading and using those so easy.
>>
>>28066659
animal fat and lard, water and soap
>>
>>28066775
I've heard that they had used sperm whale oil during the 1800's as a lubricant. Not sure of what its qualities as a rust inhibitor or a cleaner was, considering black powder is super corrosive to bare metal.
>>
>>28066835
White vinegar is a great bluing remover as well, since bluing is really "controlled corrosion".
>>
Reenactor here: it was actually tow cloth (rag) brick dust and sweet (vegetable) oil
>>
>>28067008
define brick dust. Unless it's literally take a brick and smash until dust.
>>
cops stopping off at chipotle for a quick burrito before upcoming standoff with final suspect on wells fargo
>>
>>28066659

Boiling water down the barrel, give it a few shakes, pour it out, and then sent down cleaning patches until they come out clean.
>>
>>28066847
british line infantry was expected to fire 3 rounds a minute. Veteran and elite unites could fire up to 5. But the british were the fastest in the world.
>>
>>28067008
What era do you reenact? I used to do French and Indian also rev war. Confirmed for brick dust. The bricks had less sand in the eighteenth century and had a tendency to break down into a fine abrasive. They called it rotten stone in the period
>>
>>28067772
Rotten stone is great for turning a gloss finish into a nice satin look.
>>
>>28066659
While on the blackpowder topic:

Brown Bess or Charleville? Which would you take /k/
>>
>>28067865
Charleville

Worked for Boney. Brown Bess is for dirty albion
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.