[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ I want to get a job and get ahold of some funs by taking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 13
File: spookyquiet.png (153 KB, 891x891) Image search: [Google]
spookyquiet.png
153 KB, 891x891
Hey /k/
I want to get a job and get ahold of some funs by taking courses and stuff.
Any idea what my first fun should be? I was thinking about getting a handgun and then a rifle. I live in Commiefornia so I'll need advice that pertains to that state.

Also, first time shooting tips would be appreciated too. I know you're not supposed to hold your breath like in Cawadooty and you're supposed to steady your breathing and exhale as you shoot.

Thank you /k/omrades
>>
File: LiterallySweden.gif (2 MB, 300x182) Image search: [Google]
LiterallySweden.gif
2 MB, 300x182
I think a gun first-timer should probably start off with a rifle, they are significantly easier to get a feel for. And I know this may sound retarded to you, but maybe get a .22 so you can start off not having to worry so much about the kickback.
>>
>>28063959
So you want to be a mercenary.
>>
>>28064040
I've heard lots of advice saying that .22's are the way to go for plinking and first time shooting.
I assumed that handguns would be easiest to learn first, but I'm no professional.

If anything though, I'd like to get a feel for both at the beginning.

>>28064056
If I joined Diamond Dogs, I probably wouldn't be in the Combat Unit ;_;7
Most likely Intel or Support.
>>
>>28064065
Nah start on rifles. Seriously.
>>
>>28063959
Yeah, start off with a rifle. My first dieting shooting experience was a bolt action. After stepping up a few calibers I moved onto shotguns and semi auto rifles. I'd say if you're starting to go something like that route, but don't buy a pistol first.
>>
Not OP but i have fairly much the same circumstances except
>Not commiefornian
>Just started a new job
>In market for military surplus rifle good for hunting
>>
>>28064089
How the fuck did my phone put in "dieting"?
>>
>>28064065
Handguns are a lot harder to aim accurately for a new shooter, especially if you're lacking in upper body strength. With a rifle, you can shoot from a bench rest easily which is the best position for a new shooter to start from.
>>
>>28064094
Mosin-Nagant is fine rifle, komrade. Bolt action, classic design, pretty widely available (and cheap) ammo. Alternatively, if you want a semi-auto, go for an SKS. Classic Firearms is having a sale on some Yugo SKSs right now, not sure about the quality but it can't be too bad.
>>
>>28064065
rifles are king, handguns are actually a bit difficult believe it or not, rifles have more control and are more utility i.e. you can push some longer ranges if you get bored with up close stuff which is pretty tough with a handgun, especially with a beginner.
a .22LR is a nice starter round but I've taught new people who think they're boring in a sense. they expect more felt recoil and a loud bang, which I will admit is part of the fun of a gun.
For people who say that I usually step them up to my AR and they have a... blast...
being in commieland getting an AR you like could lead to troubles but there are plenty of other 5.56/.223 platforms around that are legal in your neck of the woods.
as for .22LR I am partial to the Mod. 60 but thats because I learned on it, I would say a 10/22 would be a better rifle in the long run but there are plenty of others if you looked around.

tip for shooting is stay relaxed and focus on the front sight.
>>
>>28064094
>Military surplus hunting rifle

Don't destroy it, if you want to mount a scope or something buy a Savage rifle.

The cheapest milsurp bolt is still the Mosin Nagant. x54r is pretty good for deer.

K31s are still pretty cheap. 7.5x55 is a pretty good deer cartridge as well. The straight pull bolt weirds out some people but it's well made, albeit complicated. Most other milsurp rifles enter collection piece price range not cheap unorthodox hunter range. Yugoslavian Mausers are still pretty cheap too but 8mm Mauser is expensive.
>>
>>28063959
Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795. they're both .22s, semi-automatic rifles. Easy to purchase because rifle, cheap ammo, accurate, reliable, and they're good for small-game hunting if you're so inclined.

If you have a good .22, then you can build marksmanship fundamentals for 1/10th the cost of training on an AR or something.
>>
File: MemeDogAK.png (222 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
MemeDogAK.png
222 KB, 800x850
>>28064065
I know a couple people have already told you this, but handguns are seriously much, much harder to handle than a rifle. If you insist on getting one (honestly, not a bad idea to get a rifle and a handgun at the same time), I would just recommend going for a mid-size handgun. For some reason I have a hard time with how floaty and lightweight some compact handguns are. I got my mom a Sig P238 recently and I can't seem to hit shit with it. My friend's Kimber 1911 though is very comfortable, with a reasonable weight.
>>
File: pain.gif (3 MB, 356x217) Image search: [Google]
pain.gif
3 MB, 356x217
>>28064065
Handguns are exponentially harder and should be tailored more closely to the person. Learn to shoot first, Learn what works and what doesnt, learn what you like and what you don't, then start looking for a handgun.

If you're looking for a good trainer rifle, either a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60, they are both great 22s
>>
>>28063959
Turkish mausers are cheaper than Mosins right now.

I bought one for $150 while Mosins are going for +$250 where I am. (Illinois)

The surplus 7.62 x 54R ammo is drying up as well.

Use the saved money to get into reloading. I own both, the cost of shooting is slightly higher with the Mauser but the cost of the gun still covers the extra $0.05-$0.10 cents per round.
>>
File: anangelofpeace.png (74 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
anangelofpeace.png
74 KB, 636x900
>>28064081
Alright cap, I'll ask about rifle classes then.
Thanks!

>>28064089
>>28064100
Don't worry, I think it still made sense with dieting in it.

>>28064110
Thanks, I'll remember all of this, I had the idea that handguns would be a good way to get into it.

>>28064143
Alright, thank you. I've always had an interest in guns and I've been meaning to learn how to use them. I'm not sure who to ask either besides you guys since I live in Commiefornia and would probably get put on a list heh.
One of my old high school teachers shoots funs and is a fun advocate but I thought it would be kind of strange to approach him about it.

>>28064181
Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 795, I'll write these down and do some homework on them. Thanks anon!

>>28064194
Now that I think about it, it makes complete sense. Especially considering handguns do have a kick and stuff, easy to get hit in the face if you're barely dipping your toes into the water.

>>28064201
Ruger's already popular I see, I'll be sure to look at Marlin 60 too.
>>
File: tips fedorov.jpg (72 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
tips fedorov.jpg
72 KB, 469x463
>>28064201
way to post the same gif as the first reply, you damn redguard
>>
>>28064129
Mosin's are pretty cheap i'm aware, i've fired one before. They're very heavy i'm not too fond of that but it'll probably be my go to if i can't find anything else that suits my needs or i can't save up more than 200 dollars at a time.

What's the general purchasing process at a store or online?

>>28064163
>Don't destroy it
I don't believe in making beautiful rifles into bubba blasters. I have a hard on for plain ol' sights anyway.

K31 looks nice but the ammo prices don't really fill me with any confidence especially since it would be nice to get some range time too.

I was admiring some Lee enfields online since those are some sexy looking rifles and mildly affordable in used conditions but the ammo isn't exactly the cheapest either.
>>
File: EagleSalute.jpg (11 KB, 250x216) Image search: [Google]
EagleSalute.jpg
11 KB, 250x216
>>28064217
Good job OP, you're on your way to becoming a kommando. Don't be scared to ask questions, I would say that most people I know who own guns (and actually know a thing or two about them) are very happy to help somebody else who is just starting out. The more people who have guns and know how to use them, the fewer people there will be spouting nonsense about how "BLACK ASSAULT RIFLES ARE SCARY AND SHOULD BE BANNED."
>>
>>28064217
It depends which is more available for you at the time- both will serve you well. The Ruger has more aftermarket support I think, though.

Handguns are more difficult not due to upper-body strength or anything, but strictly due to the mechanical problem that there is no additional stablizing than your arms/hands.

Also the Marlin model 60 and 795 are fundamentally the same, however the 60 has a tube-feed whereas the 795 has a magazine.

Depending where you are and your local laws, it's your choice- you'll be entirely happy with either of the Marlins or the Ruger.

What's your budget? And are you more inclined towards semi-automatic? If not there are plenty of lever/bolt-action .22s out there, all of which are plenty reliable and enjoyable to shoot.
>>
File: dog_shooting_intensifies.jpg (186 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
dog_shooting_intensifies.jpg
186 KB, 960x960
>>28064232
Are you going to get butthurt that I suggested a 10/22 even though people have already suggested it?
>>
File: aww_yeah.gif (622 KB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
aww_yeah.gif
622 KB, 375x211
>>28064293
Mosins are cheap to buy and cheap to feed, but I can definitely see how the weight might be an issue for some. Honestly, AKs are pretty lightweight, tough as hell, and have fairly cheap ammo too.

I would also like to say that I am glad you are part of the RIFLE IS FINE belief. It is a sin to put Mosins in synthetic stocks or nigger rig modern scopes onto them.
>>
>>28064308
Luckily my town is an agricultural area of California so it's a little conservative. But there are still people who think guns have babby-seeking boolets. I'm interesting in learning for defense and recreation.

>>28064323
As I said before, I'm in a mildly conservative area of Commiefornia. (Area Code 559) Central Valley.
What's a tube-feed? I know what magazines are (Of course)
I've always been interested in break-action stuff too.
As far as my budget goes, I was planning on saving up $500 since that seems like the way to go in buying the firearm and the lessons etc.
>>
File: k_disgusted.jpg (62 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
k_disgusted.jpg
62 KB, 1024x1024
>>28064357
don't feed the troll, you'll just end up helping him derail the thread
>>
File: a_rifle.jpg (245 KB, 900x382) Image search: [Google]
a_rifle.jpg
245 KB, 900x382
>>28064393
If a rifle is tube-fed, it has an internal magazine that is literally a tube. The cartridges are all lined up inside and feed out the end into the receiver one at a time.

Pic related, the tube directly underneath the barrel is the magazine.
>>
>>28064449
Alright that makes sense, thanks anon.

/k/ is just about the friendliest/best board on 4chan imo.
>>
>>28064217
Just reread the OP and you're in California. As to how to learn, just ask a range officer to go over anything you're unsure of, but here's a good TL;DR for how to operate a rifle in terms of what's not covered in the owner's manual.

>shoulder the rifle firmly in the pocket between arm and chest
>raise the rifle, finger off the trigger until ready to fire
>non-dominant hand on the foreend, pulling the rifle into your shoulder
>adjust your head position until you get a clear line of sight through the sight- that is, the front post lines up in the rear notch (this will be illustrated in the owner's manual.)
>line the front post over your target.
>squeeze the trigger- don't pull, or it'll jerk your point of aim off-center.
>if you hit, then great! Continue to fire as you see fit.
>if not, look which way you missed. Were the sights on target? If not, then adjust your point of aim- if your sights were high, just aim lower. If to the left, aim right, etcetera.
>If they were, in fact, on target then refer to the owner's manual on how to adjust the sights.

>Above all else, do not aim at something you do not wish to destroy. Always assume the firearm is loaded and keep it aimed in a safe direction until you are ready to fire.

That's how you operate a rifle, made generic for whichever firearm you choose to use.

>>28064094
Any milsurp will treat you well, as they all fire .30-caliber+ rounds as far as I know. A 7.62x54, .30/06, .303, 7mm Arisaka, 7.5x55, or 8mm Mauser will all kill a deer dead just the same.

It depends on your ammo and gun budget, and if you're willing to reload.

If you are, get a K31. They're incredibly accurate, take a .308 bullet, all are in damn good condition, nice trigger, and they're cool as fuck. Plus the straight-pull action is extremely fast.

If worse comes to worse just get a Mosin. Wolf makes 200gr. soft-point bullets. Those will take anything up to, and including a moose.
>>
File: 1447747737958.gif (164 KB, 303x171) Image search: [Google]
1447747737958.gif
164 KB, 303x171
>>28064510
These are some great tips, of course keeping your finger off the trigger is common sense though.
But I do hear a lot about people disregarding trigger discipline.
The last bit is important always too, I always ALWAYS hear about not pointing a gun at anything you don't want dead/destroyed and always assuming that it's loaded.
>>
>>28064393
$500 will cover your rifle, ammunition, spare magazines, and maybe some new sights if you're so inclined. In CA you have to complete a firearms safety test that's basically a check you have a brain.

Like >>28064449 said, a tube-feed is literally a magazine that's a tube. I realize >>28064510 wasn't written too well in hindsight but that covers the gist of it, I think.

>>28064490
/k/ is always friendly to new shooters looking forward to getting into the hobby.

Also, in CA the firearm obtainment process goes as follows.

>find a gun you like
>"That one, please."
>fill out the Firearms Safety Test, only takes a minute and it's easy as hell
>fill out your Form 4473
>pay at least part of it, if not all of it in full
>leave, come back 10 days later
>Demonstrate you can operate the firearm safely
>Take your raifu home.
>>
File: why the UK doesn't have guns.gif (2 MB, 371x205) Image search: [Google]
why the UK doesn't have guns.gif
2 MB, 371x205
>>28064582
Just because something's common sense doesn't mean it's not worth repeating.

Don't leave the emergency brake on. Don't turn the stove on and walk away. Don't point a gun at someone's head and "I ALMOST SHOT YOU LOL".

I don't mean to seem overbearing but it's things that are worth repeating but seldom are due to being common sense that often get forgotten. That's why some people think anyone who's got a gun is some bumblefuck hillbilly or an idiot. .gif semi-related.
>>
>>28064583
Awesome, and I think it's a nice little chunk of information so no worries!
I'm starting to really think I can do it now, I wasn't sure where to start with any of it.

>>28064627
But of course, you're not overbearing. People just get too confident and then they slip up big.
>>
>>28064390
I guess if they're cheap to buy and cheap to feed then i could get used to the weight by taking it to a range or something from time to time.

If the weight is an issue would it be worth the extra hundred dollars or so to get the M44 mosin?

>>28064510
If i can't afford much use on the range to practice because of ammunition prices that probably severely limits my range of rifles i'm economically able to use.

>Those will take anything up to, and including a moose.
That's a good thing to know.
>>
>>28064935
The M44 is entirely respectable, but I don't know if you want to spend that extra cash just to shave off a pound or two. Honestly, it's not that bad. I have a 91/30 and it's not really that much harder to keep it leveled than the rest of my rifles.
>>
>>28063959
OP, your pic reminds me of Carrie from The Amazing World of Gumball.
>>
>>28064935
IMO no it's not, that 29" barrel or so is seriously nice because of the sight radius. Learn to use the sling to stablize and you can comfortably make 200-yard offhand shots.

>>28064653
I'm glad you're thinking you can do it. You can. It's literally just go out and take the first step.
>>
>>28065336
Carrie is a qt, I've never watched Gumball though.

>>28065359
All of the replies in this thread have convinced me to really grit down and start doing it. I'm excited and willing to try it out now!
>>
>>28065376
Good luck! If you have any more questions, just jump into a QDDTOT thread for the little guys, or make another if you have a few big ones.

In any case, good luck! There's a couple decent gun shops open near you for the next four hours or so. https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&q=gun+stores+in+559&oq=gun+stores+in+559 pulls up the first two, as far as I know. They're open for the next three or four hours.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.