[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain the Waffen SS to me? Were they a military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 33
File: SSCRUSHERCAP.jpg (28 KB, 709x565) Image search: [Google]
SSCRUSHERCAP.jpg
28 KB, 709x565
Can someone explain the Waffen SS to me?

Were they a military elite? Or were they political fuckboys who just got the best toys?
>>
>>28054424
My grandpa said he met a couple in WWII, said they were real assholes. Apparently they didn't want to have lunch with a grunt or something.
>>
>>28054424
The troops most dedicated to the Nazi ideology, the personal bodyguard regiment of Hitler and under his personal control or under the control of one of his trusted general.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
Initially they were a super exclusive club that recieved superior training to regular Heer soldiers.
Also Himmler outfitted his loyal Nazi goons with the best toys.
>>
They had the best uniforms of WW2.
>>
Weren't they basically a paramilitary part of the actual Nazi party?
>>
>>28054455
>Initially superior training

Lel. Early SS-Verfügungstruppe were mediocre rear-eschelon troops that everyone laughed at.
>>
File: Tiger II turret front.jpg (60 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
Tiger II turret front.jpg
60 KB, 800x513
>>28054424

Them Tiger II's, man
>>
>>28054447
Half right.

Himmelers personal army is more like it.

Not to mention all the foriegn volunteers.
>>
>>28054490

Go to bed Rabbi. Take your disinfo to Facebook or Reddit.
>>
>>28054498
Which is somehow logical. You only want a foreigner to join your army during wartime if he believes in your ideology for 200%.
>>
Basically the Secret Service for Hitler.
>>
>>28054490
This. From the start of the war until the invasion of Russia the SS were a joke. Most units used old or captured equipment
>>
>>28054485
That's the SS. Waffen-SS is the army branch of the political party hence the German term 'Waffen'.
>>
File: just girly things.png (638 KB, 500x951) Image search: [Google]
just girly things.png
638 KB, 500x951
>>28054424

Basically, the Wehrmacht was run by elitist Prussian staff officers, who while loyal to Germany, were not always specifically loyal to the Nazi Party, so the Nazis created a parallel army that was run through the Party under Heinrich Himmler. While in practice it was a part of the armed forces, it was officially part of the Nazi Party instead of the German Government, which is why Waffen SS troops were considered unlawful combatants by the allies and why they were not initially entitled to a veteran's pension after the war.
>>
It really depends.

Some were good and got the first pick of toys while others were basically the thugs and sociopaths pacifying territory of "partisans" real or not.

The one thing they had in common was that they were all true believers and there was little mercy given to them.

I would say they fought and died more fanatically than normal german troops trying to defend their homeland.

They ended functioning as Hitler's Varangian Guard of sorts.
>>
>>28054525
...what?
>>
They had priority for and received the best equipment over Wehrmacht Divisions, they had political indoctrination drilled into their heads and as shock troops were sent to some of the hardest battles on the eastern front suffering high casualties as a result.
>>
>>28054536
You're not wrong, but you explanation totally ignores the existence of the SA.
>>
>>28054537
Best answer so far. Quality definitely varied between different SS Divisions.
>>
File: SoldatenWeinachts.jpg (89 KB, 604x365) Image search: [Google]
SoldatenWeinachts.jpg
89 KB, 604x365
>>28054447

Ok, so you know how the United States has a ground force called The Army? But then they also have this other ground force called The Marines? inb4 autism, but it's a very little bit like that, plus a political alliance.

Waffen SS and the Wehrmacht were both military wings of the German Armed Forces, which had a greater title that I'm just not remembering, but it included air, sea, and land components.

The SS was specifically affiliated with the Nazi Party. Not all soldiers were nazis, but all SS were nazi's, so to speak. There are a lot of split hairs as the war dragged on and other, smaller, more nationalistic units got established, but for the most part the SS units were loyal to the party first and formost. As a result they were better supplied and equipped.

As an interested aside, the Wehrmacht officer corps was almost entirerly aristocrats or people that could very quickly trace their lineage to blue blood. The SS only required college education to qualify for their officer corps, so a lot of wehrmacht NCO's simply said "ya sure, heil Hitler, promote me." So the SS ended up with a very loyal, very veteran core group of leadership that remained effective even past the capitulation at Berlin.

But, you know, like all things regarding WWII, there's a lot of different facets that go into the question you're asking, and most people here are speaking the general jist of it.
>>
>>28054557
He's thinking of the 1st SS-Panzer Division "Leibstandarte"
>>
File: 1407977353163.jpg (204 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1407977353163.jpg
204 KB, 900x900
>>28054511
>>>/pol/

In addition,
http://www.4chan.org/rules
> 2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
File: 1396886640036.png (85 KB, 727x2108) Image search: [Google]
1396886640036.png
85 KB, 727x2108
>>28054498
>>28054512
>mfw the SS had over 100.000 Dutch and Belgian Volunteers
>>
>>28054424
They were a paramilitary force that came to prominence after the brownshirts got too uppity.
>>
>>28054616

What the hell are you on about?
>>
From what you guys are saying they were pretty much like the Revolutionary Guard (Sepa-he Pasdaran) in Iran? A completely different Army, but unlike the regular armed forces of Iran, they are like the Islamic guard, instead of just government troops?
>>
>>28054644
That had NOTHING to do with nazism.
A lot of Flemish went to fight with the Nazis against communism.
Those that survived were treated like animals when they returned. After fighting for Christianity, watching your brothers die in Stalingrad, some got the death penalty, life sentences or even got their nationality and rights taken away.
Disgusting after the sacrifices they lade for their religion and their heritage.
I will always respect the Flemish Ostfronters.
>>
File: 1441601141538.png (306 KB, 597x286) Image search: [Google]
1441601141538.png
306 KB, 597x286
>>28054702
They got what they deserved.
>>
Reminder that the difference between Nazi Germany cleansing Europe and Crusaders removing kebab is that the Germans did a much better job.
>>
>>28054424

In short:

Hitler makes SA (brown shirts)

Hitler gains power much through the power of the SA, realizes there are some among the brown shirts who arent to fond of Hitler.

SS formed, Hitler's personal bodyguards.

Night of the long knives: roughly 200 leaders of SA and other people Hitler didnt like are murdered. SA pretty much dwindles away.

SS gains pretty much all the power the SA once wielded, although the role of the SA is no longer really needed since the nazis are in power so Gestapo does the dirty work on the homefront.

War continues on, SS, being an "elite" group, gets more training, is tasked with many "final solution" roles, is assigned to high importance military action.

This last part is why they are often revered as elite soldiers, they went from bodyguards and mostly ceremonial to some scary nazi bastards.

Thus endeth the lesson.
>>
>>28054659
I never got that, apart from the chief of the brownshirts being a poof, what did the greater nazi party have against them?
>>
>>28054729
Thank you, professor!
>>
>>28054729
>>28054752
dankeshon
>>
>>28054702
>That had NOTHING to do with nazism.
i never said it did
i just looked up how many SS volunteers there were in the Netherlands and was amazed we outnumbered countries like the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, France, Italy.
>Flemish
i like how you guys always call yourselves Flemish instead of Belgian. Its almost as if you detest living with your countrymen who speak another language yet still refuse to admit you're a failure of a country
>>
>>28054696
That's a decent analogy

SA ≈ Basiji, except they got fired
Waffen SS ≈ Pasdaran - just remember, not all SS Divisions were the same quality. Some were experts with good supply, others were shit undersized Infantry "Divisions" of Brigade size, manned by teenagers and desperately lacking in supply and transport
Wehrmacht ≈ Artesh
>>
>>28054424
No I can't because they are far too politicized we won't get an accurate idea of the SS for another generation at least probably not in this life time.

They're either hyper elite top guys held to an absolutely rigid standard of ethics or useless barbarian monsters onky out to rape and kill.

The best telling is really that Patton quote about how the SS were really tough cunts but they all died in Russia by 1942 by '44 they were conscripts with a different badge.
>>
>>28054756
>>28054759

I like nazi stuff. hard not to be interested in it
>>
>>28054424
The German divisions were political fuckboys. The foreign divisions were basically the German version of the French Foreign Legion.

They varied from total fucking jokes, like the Arab SS units, to elites like SS Wiking.
>>
>>28054774
We are not a failure. Flanders is 80% of the economy, Wallonia is an agricultural region of France.
>>
Second-rate paramilitary. Poorly equipped compared to heer. Their most renouned divisions were equivalent to standard heer divisions at best, the rest were abysmal and only good for burning villages.

Anything else is pretty much post-ww2 myth. A large amount weren't even German, they were foreign volunteers.
>>
They were bad ass mother fuckers with bad tempers. Basically die hard Marines
>>
File: waffenssparade.jpg (168 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
waffenssparade.jpg
168 KB, 800x532
>>28054756
>>28054759
He's still wrong. They weren't all elites. Some SS were shit, some SS were elite. Some were in between. Some of them were less soldiers than liquidators, particularly the Dirlewanger Brigade.

See >>28054537
>Some were good and got the first pick of toys while others were basically the thugs and sociopaths pacifying territory of "partisans" real or not
>>
>>28054424

Using "Waffen SS" as an umbrella term will lead to amny misconceptions.
As others said it's not part of the Wehrmacht, but a separate branch, because politics.
And you must keep that in mind to understand that the SS covers both :
-Political partisans (foreign or Germans) armed dudes that killed resisting folks
-Guys fighting like regular soldiers.

Ignore naziboos telling you they were the best of the best, with the newest toys (while the latter being smewhat more true) it's cmpletly untrue considering the diversity (kek) under that term, and that explains why some groups were spanked, while others had regular results.
>>
>>28054796
try actually reading about it then instead of passing on memes and themes uncritically
>>
>>28054784
>the SS were really tough cunts but they all died in Russia by 1942 by '44 they were conscripts with a different badge.
i remember Beevor stating something similair in D-Day, later in the war SS units(Panzer divisions excluded) were only 'tough/hardcore/elite' because they just wouldnt give up or execute suicidal missions because muh Fuhrer
>>28054814
yet still you stand in the shadow of your parent...
>just fix your goddamn roads already
>>
>>28054848
Just speak Dutch instead of English when I come over.
>>
>>28054846

I do read about it, watch stuff about it and collect memorabilia. part of why i posted the run down of why the SS came about and their role. But thanks for your shitpost, it was really educational.
>>
>>28054511
He's right. Early in the war they where pretty much militias. Latter on some where elite and some where ideological driven fanatical garbage.
>>
>>28054877
Allow me to quote you:

>>28054729
>War continues on, SS, being an "elite" group, gets more training, is tasked with many "final solution" roles, is assigned to high importance military action.
>This last part is why they are often revered as elite soldiers, they went from bodyguards and mostly ceremonial to some scary nazi bastards.

If you don't see what's wrong with this statement you need to stop answering questions for anons
>>
File: weermag.jpg (55 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
weermag.jpg
55 KB, 328x500
>>28054496

those are normal wehrmacht panzer guys.

ironically, the panzer arm were the most 'nazi' looking frontline troops, since they had black uniforms with skulls on the lapels.

the skulls were a callback to prussian hussars and uhlans, and the black uniform is useful when in a greasy environment and you need to wipe your hands but still be able to fall in for parade.

you can identify waffen SS, because they have the eagle on the arm, skull instead of a tricolour cockade ontheir caps, and non-wehrmacht rank markings on their lapels.

and yes, the waffen SS were political troops who were mostly frontline but, since they were political troops, tended to be more involved in the whole "let's get these guys to dig a big trench and then shoot them" thing.

OP: read 'soldaten' - you'll find it interesting. pic related.
>>
>>28054909
I got that for 50p in a market stall. Enjoyed it up until the chapter about how German female soldiers in Africa would go around shouting about how they only wanted black cock etc and binned it.

I've never read a book and thought this has had a substantial rewrite before.

It was interesting anyway alot of the Luftwaffe stories where the best ones even if I didn't believe for a second they went out of their way to spray down ladies with prams.
>>
File: 1448740396031.jpg (88 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1448740396031.jpg
88 KB, 720x720
>>28054903

none of this is false, even if oversimplified.

why dont you provide something more concise instead of being a faggot?
>>
>>28054424

>Were they a military elite? Or were they political fuckboys who just got the best toys?

A little bit of both. They were considered elite, but a big part of the selection process was ideological purity. Anybody who got into the SS was a diehard Nazi. They didn't accept anybody who had been drafted. You had to enter the German military voluntarily to have a shot. You had to have all the proper genetic features that Hitler admired. You had to submit your family tree for approval. If you were related to anybody considered undesirable, no chance of getting in.
>>
>>28054909

So you're telling me the guys wearing the SS Totenkopf are NOT SS
>>
>>28054971

>I am too retarded to look at the collar and notice that the SS runes are lacking
>>
>>28054950
Oversimplification beyond a certain point is lying.
You still haven't acknowledged that different units were of different quality, ranging the full gamut from elite panzer divisions to shitty unmotorized divisions full of poorly-trained youngsters.
>>
File: image.jpg (421 KB, 2000x1307) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
421 KB, 2000x1307
>>28054812
>Wiking
>>
File: meineehreheissttreue.jpg (189 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
meineehreheissttreue.jpg
189 KB, 752x1063
>>28054903

SS, or schutzstaffel, literally translates to "protective squadron"

SS action in WWII:

>invasion of poland
>invasion of france
>involved in Warsaw ghetto uprsising
>battle of kursk
>many units tasked to defend in normandy
>operation nordwind
>vienna offensvie

the list goes on
are these not high importance military action in your mind?

war crimes aka "final solution":
>multiple massacres in poland, france, italy belgium and greece
>SS-Totenkopfverbände, an entire unit within the SS tasked to run concentration camps

>SS grew from 3 regiments to 38 divisions during the war

tell me more about how what i said is "memes"
>>
>>28055067
Read a book nigger.

Or listen to your superiors who actually read books:
>>28055011
>>28054537
>>28054812
>They varied from total fucking jokes, like the Arab SS units, to elites like SS Wiking.

While you are painting them broadly as elite
>>
>>28054601
>which had a greater title that I'm just not remembering

The word you are looking for is already written, it is Wehrmacht. The land force component of the Wehrmacht was called 'Heer', the airforce 'Luftwaffe' and the navy 'Kriegsmarine'.
>>
>>28055118

>elite

>listed almost nothing but war crimes

i think we have different definitions of elite
>>
>>28054424

They were heros.

Unless you're a redditor/degenerate/JIDF, of course.
>>
>>28054511

>He made fun of muh super-elite SS!
>He must be da ebil JIDF!

Blow it out your ass, /pol/ack.
>>
>>28054702

That's what you get for siding with scum like the Nazis.
>>
>>28055355
For real though, the Heer pretty much hated their shit.

At one point in the war, this happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter

Also, if you don't know that the best infantry of the war was FJs, you should probably go back to one of the containment boards.
>>
>>28054947

>Enjoyed it up until the chapter about how German female soldiers in Africa would go around shouting about how they only wanted black cock etc and binned it.

Uwotm8?
>>
>>28055382

Maybe you should go back to reddit with your anti-white nonsense?
>>
>>28055543
Even I will admit this is a jap cartoon discussion board
>>
File: 1433587449243.jpg (39 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
1433587449243.jpg
39 KB, 600x481
well SS soldiers from baltics for example were only there to defend their homeland from bolshevik invasion and had nothing to do with nazism. Waffen-SS was literally only way for them to fight commies effectively.
>>
>>28054490
>>28054528
They were given old shit because they were considered a joke, and considered a joke because the aristocratic Prussians in charge of the Army didn't like them for the reason of "muh army traditions."

After they got battle experience and proved not to be retards (though they tended to receive higher proportions of casualties than army units), the generals respected them just fine.
>>
>>28055543
>>28055355
>>28055291
>>28054971
>>28054825
>>28054511

>Everyone who says a bad word about the nazis is a kike/degenerate/redditor
>Nazis fought for whiteness
>Unironically defending the SS

You must be 18 years old to post on 4chan.
>>
>>28055605
This is what decades of unabashed liberalism does to a nation; now people are lauding fascism and racism, which is ironically just as degenerate, if not more so
>>
The Waffen SS was like any other force: It had both its geniuses and retards. Heroes and scum.
Some of them got good equipment, especially the ones favored by Himmler. For example camp pattern developed were reserved for the SS and where not given to the Heer.
Units made from foreigners seem to have been given the older stuff and made due with it.
Two things worth noting was the sense of rivalry between the SS and regular military. As well as that SS casualties were often very high because they refused to fall back even when it was entirely reasonable and the smart option.
>>
>>28055046
>implying elite units can't be ambushed
>implying fighting legit partisans wouldn't be both tougher and scarier than normal combat

Perspective man.
>>
>>28055587
True. Estonians/other Baltic people joining the SS is actually understandable.
>>
File: DrPatrickBrainStormSession.png (56 KB, 216x320) Image search: [Google]
DrPatrickBrainStormSession.png
56 KB, 216x320
Fuck. I sperg'd out hard over that too.
>>
>>28054947
>never read a book before
>reads his first book (about nazis)
>offended by implied interracial sex
just kill yourself desu senpai
>>
File: 1446163524756.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1446163524756.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
>>28054947
>>
>>28055355
>>28055543
go back to your playpen
>>
File: DrPatrick.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
DrPatrick.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
>>28055822
This post is in reference to

>>28055152

Still flail sperg'n. Gotta stop drinking and shitposting, amirite?
>>
>>28054644
Wiking division
Spanish blue division
Nordland division

Ukrainians
Croats
Hungarians
Finns
French
Pretty much everyone how hated commies.
>>
File: neet.jpg (46 KB, 448x486) Image search: [Google]
neet.jpg
46 KB, 448x486
>>28055902

Did the Bleu Division count as an arm or unit of the SS? I know a LOT of them fell in with SS units after the initial push on Moscow and then following capitulation in Stalingrad obliterated their ranks and Franco recalled his loyal fascists.

I'm not sure they were SS at first though. Certainly fascist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Division
>>
>>28055382

>FJs
>tfw grand uncle was Fallschirmjäger
>tfw he had a sexy late FG42
>tfw he sold it to some Ameriburger he befriended postwar
>tfw I never inherited the FG

;_;
>>
>>28055933
They were Spaniards.
>>
>>28054752
Had their own opinion. More socialism in national socialism. Hitler wanted industrial and financial elite behind his plans, so it didn't fit with him.
>>
>>28055933
They weren't SS at first: they were considered an army unit until 1943 when Franco ordered his boys home. A few Spaniards hated commies enough to refuse to go home, then did the only thing they could do at that point, which was join the most relevant SS unit.

Can't remember which SS division they ended up part as, but they had their own Battalion or regiment...not a lot of guys though.
>>
File: scoobyjew.jpg (14 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
scoobyjew.jpg
14 KB, 300x295
>>28054616
>>
>>28054601
Good answer if not the best.
Look people write books and theses on this shit.
OP won't get more than a oversimplified cliff notes.
Also, at the start the SS was made of low tier recruits (Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht for first picks) and teenagers. But they grabbed a lot of the retired and veteran Wehr NCOs for their training corps.
>>
>>28054424

They were the military arm of the nazi party. It would be like if the dems and Republicans had their own armies.
>>
>>28055942
You'd end up in jail forever if they caught you with that in Germany.

Fun thought: I wonder how many WWII guns are kept on the secret downlow by private citizens in Germany? If you lived near a battle at the time, what's stopping you from picking up an MP40 or something after the battle ends/passes?
>>
File: DrPatrickSurgeryTime.png (159 KB, 245x358) Image search: [Google]
DrPatrickSurgeryTime.png
159 KB, 245x358
>>28055963
Yes, I know. Thank you.
>>
File: Hans-are-we-the-baddies.jpg (40 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
Hans-are-we-the-baddies.jpg
40 KB, 480x272
>>28054424
OP pic reminds me of pic related
>>
File: der lachen fuhrer.jpg (38 KB, 757x502) Image search: [Google]
der lachen fuhrer.jpg
38 KB, 757x502
>>28054971
>not knowing the difference between the jawless cavalry totenkopf and regular SS one
>>
>>28054424
yes.
>>
File: 1445999448147.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445999448147.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1200
>>28056152
>expecting anons in an introductory thread about the SS to know the difference
>>
>>28056152
Not only that, the SS Totenkopf has two bones, while the Prussian/ Panzer crew one has three.
Also, if the uniform is black and has pink or red piping then it's a give away that it's either a tanker or artilleryman and not SS.
>>
BETTER QUESTION

Why were they all so hot?
>>
>>28054616

Go away shclomo
>>
>>28054445
I doubt this ever happened
>>
>>28054644

Why is Israel always a square in these?

>Is it because Israel isn't a real country?
>>
>>28056251

Why would you?
>>
>>28056224
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (79 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
79 KB, 800x600
>>28056254

Jewish physics.
>>
>>28054752
The long story short was that once the Nazis took power the SA made themselves more of a liability than a boon. Rohm was pushing hard to have the Wehrmacht completely abolished and replaced with the SA, which pissed off the military and party leaders like Goering. The SA chapters also refused to do anything that didn't directly involving beating Jews and other undesirables. They blew off any requests to do work like fundraising or canvassing or community projects as bitch work reserved only for women and the SS.

The SA pissed everyone off and the only reason they weren't purged sooner was because Hitler and Rohm were BFFs. Then Himmler forged a shitton of evidence to accuse Rohm of staging a coup with the support and approval of the French government. That was enough for Hitler to sour his opinion and the Night of the Long Knives happened.
>>
>>28056224
>cos of "muh pure Aryan huritage."

Real answer: lots of extremely physically fit young men are good looking, both back then and now. Looking good is often a side effect of being healthy.
>>
>elite german units
>units of german criminals, rapists, and murderers
>useless foreign units like the arab, indian, chinks, etc.
>elite units of foreign criminals, rapists, and murderers like the ukrainian SS who were ok at fighting and killed the shit out of dem jews and neighbors who'd pissed them off all across eastern europe
>>
>>28056254
It just is. Kazakhstan is a brick, and Nepal is shaped like their flag.
>>
File: fhf.png (538 KB, 567x435) Image search: [Google]
fhf.png
538 KB, 567x435
>reminder Latvian SS members were exempt from war crimes.
>>
>>28056457

Pussies.
>>
>>28056536

>one of the last units to surrender
> pussies
>>
The cunts of the German military
>>
>>28056604

For not engaging in what these betakeks call "war crimes". Latvians aren't white anyway.
>>
>>28054644
Reminds me of the BoB scene
>They're saying they're Polish
"They're ain't no Poles in the SS!"
>>
>>28056655
That movie, while really good and entertaining as all fuck, can trigger my WWII autism hard: Stephen Ambrose got a lot wrong in his book, which then went into the movie.

Lesson: first hand accounts are valuable, but when taken from old men who may not remember as well as they used to, you should not take their words as literal fact..and that's the mistake Ambrose made.
>>
>>28054616
fuck you Jew lover the holohoax never happened
>>
>>28054812
There was no Arab SS unit. You may be referring to the Croat/Bosniak Handschar division which was primarily comprised of muslims, but it proved to be relatively effective against partisans and in general population pacifying.
>>
>>28054424
Basically Nazi NKVD.
>>
>>28058016

NKVD had heavy tank battalions?
>>
>>28054424
They started as elite formation often led by politicial officers with little to no experience and knowledge in leading military formations.
Over the time the Waffen-SS developed a lot of skilled and distinguished officers, NCOs and men but also suffered heavy casualties in the ongoing war which caused them to draft people and drop the top-notch-volunteer requirements, by the end of the war they took pretty much everyone able to hold a rifle and walk straight for 5 meters.

Waffen-SS units receiving better weapons/material is just a meme. They weren't better or worse off than their army counterparts.
>>
>>28056254
it's a tessaract actually
>>
>>28054424
they weren't real military. they were the military of the nazi party.
>>
>>28055588
>After they got battle experience and proved not to be retards (though they tended to receive higher proportions of casualties than army units)
Yeah, those Heer guys are probably stoked they weren't apart of an SS assault section. Fuck that noise

>>28056256
Well after reading through memoirs, it seemed that just the presence of the SS was reassuring to your typical landser
>>
>>28055382
>Jump into anzac troops, get fucking recked
> good
>>
>>28064677
>probably stoked they weren't apart of an SS assault section.
The SS didn't suffer out of proportion because they were put in riskier situations (at least early war through France and the beginning of Barbarossa), they suffered high casualties simply because they were so fucking gung ho that they tended to zerg rush and not think things through as well as the Army units, which tended to be more careful and methodical.
>>
>>28065333
I'm sure you have something to back that claim.
>>
>>28054424
ISIS tier faggots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre
>>
>>28054424
Not necasarily an elite. They were tenacious and often fought to the death, but then again they knew they'd be treated differently if captured and they at least saw themselves as an elite.
As for their fighting ability, it depends. Some were good, some weren't. Then again they were often given better equipment due to favouritism, so its not easy to compare them.

Anyway, Panzer Grenadier Division Großdeutschland bitch.
>>
File: 1445964498929.png (429 KB, 822x596) Image search: [Google]
1445964498929.png
429 KB, 822x596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmYFJGoZ-0
>>
>>28054947
>I loved this books about the accounts of soldiers
>until they started saying things that hurt my feelings
n'awww diddums
>>
>>28056021
The thought of being shot/arrested when allied soldiers find you with weapons?
In other news http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11716177/Second-World-War-tank-and-anti-aircraft-gun-found-hidden-in-basement-of-villa-in-Germany.html
>>
>>28056224
a) You're not going to get far as a fat combat soldier
b) A lot of the pictures are shots taken by the party for distribution amongst the public, ugly guys aren't going to get a look in
>>
>>28056261
>Americans actually think the Marines' dress uniform is good/cool looking
Oh you!
>>
>>28054702
>Those that survived were treated like animals when they returned.
Good.

>fighting for Christianity
>alongside the nazis
Do you need it explained to you, how stupid this is?
>>
>>28065555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmYFJGoZ-0
>>
>>28054601
Probably the clearest summary of the SS iv'e heard.
>>
>>28055046

The guy with the helmet on the left has seen some shit man. He's a killer for sure.
>>
>>28055184
Chasing down all the women and children, to make sure you kill the entire village, isn't easy anon.
>>
>>28054947
>German Female soldier
>Female soldier
>1940
>Germany

KEK. KEK. I FOUND THE KEK. THIS IS KEKPOSTING. RIGHT HERE. DELETE THIS THREAD BEFORE IT SPREADS AND BAN THIS POSTER.
>>
>>28054424
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5iqOh6wQU

Nuff Said.

>TLDW
Waffen SS were a multi-national group of europeans that fought against commie bolsheviks trying to take over europe.

Funny thing is... After WWII, we immediately began a "COLD WAR" against Communist Russia...

After we defeated the NAZI threat, we formed NATO to combat the Communist Russia threat.
>>
>>28065688
>Waffen SS were a multi-national group of europeans that fought against commie bolsheviks trying to take over europe.
>dat revisionism
>>
>>28065688
>Waffen SS were a multi-national group of europeans that fought against commie bolsheviks trying to take over europe.

lmao

Just bend history until it fits your world view
>>
File: 1414306721770.jpg (41 KB, 799x492) Image search: [Google]
1414306721770.jpg
41 KB, 799x492
>>28054424
>This thread popping up at the moment I'm finishing a research paper on the Waffen SS
>>
>>28054424
The SS started as the personal bodyguard of the nazi elite (remember that it was a violent time to be an extremist). It was funded by the ministry of internal affairs, and were sort of meant to act as an FBI you could say, as there were no national police. In order for it to become efficient, Himmler hired officers, NCOs etc. from the Wehrmacht. When the war broke out, these people were inofficially called waffen-SS and fought at the fronts. People were recruited from waffen-SS to the Wehrmacht as well as the opposite, which was simple as Waffen-SS was modelled after a military unit.

However, they belonged to the Nazi party and not the wehrmacht (unless in direct combat), so there is a very clear distinction right there. I suppose you could say that you had the army, navy, air force and the SS, each with its own organisations. When the war came, the entire organization was transferred to the wehrmacht, but still with its own staff, commanders etc. Conscripts could apply for service in the waffen-ss, which was popular, and foreigners could apply as well on the same terms as germans which wasnt quite the case in the rest of the wehrmacht.

Since the wehrmacht was rather aristocratic and conservative, the SS was seen as rather radical, since the soldiers didnt have to say "herr leutnant", but rather just leutnant. In general, they had a more casual relation between the officers and soldiers, and if it wasnt for the wehrmachts insistance, rank wasnt the basis for your pay. Most of foreigners were from eastern europe, like Hungary, Estonia, Russia, etc. Were even a bunch of muslim bosniaks.

As Waffen-SS increased in size during the war, they became more and more important to the war effort, and were sometimes more prioritized in terms of equipment and men than the regular heer. Their efforts have been somewhat exagerrated imo, especially ones comparing it to the heer, but especially units with baltic, scandinavian and german origins were very efficient.
>>
>>28054601
>Not all soldiers were nazis, but all SS were nazi's, so to speak.
Ask any foreign volunteer and he'll tell you that first and foremost he joined to remove commie
>>
>>28065815
sheeeit, I wish I could have done a research paper on the eastern front when I was in school.

whats it about exactly?
>>
>>28066145
So? Everybody wanted to remove commie or britbong or had ethnic interests that coincided with those of Germany.
>>
>>28066207
You're an idiot. Peace.
>>
>>28066221
No, you are the idiot. Bolshevism and the soviet union were extremely hated in most parts of europe, most of all in the western parts of the soviet union. Why do you think that so many locals cooperated in the extermination of jews, communist and soviet soldiers? That the wehrmacht was welcomed to ukraine with salt and bread? Do you even know anything about the period you are talking about?
>>
File: PTSD.jpg (36 KB, 538x422) Image search: [Google]
PTSD.jpg
36 KB, 538x422
>>28065601
He kind of looks like Putin
>>
>>28056182
is that crystal meth?
>>
>>28066288

And exterminating people is completely okay to you.
>>
>>28066347
How did you come to this conclusion?
>>
>>28066156
Wrote it about Waffen SS war crimes and atrocities. Wrote it a few years back in my WWII class and now I'm tweaking it slightly to reuse for my Historical Methods class.

Bein a history major and being on good terms with the department's German and Military historians is good shit
>>
>>28054490
From what I've read, before they started the expansion around 1939, they were indeed better trained, to the point that they're compared to the SAS and US Army Rangers.
There's also comments that compared to the other militaries, they started placing a much better focus on physical training, and also never let them forget about the ideology and that they were part of a "team".
Another part is that around by the end of 1938, they were also authorized to start using live ammunition and barrages of artillery.

Take it as you will. It's from the book "Hitler's Elite Guard at War: The Waffen SS" by George H. Stein.
>>
>>28066376

...Because I am getting a little jumpy lately.

Sorry.
>>
>>28066479
Around 1939, there were no SAS and rangers were just that, rangers. The SS-soldiers were definitively not elite soldiers at that time.
>>
>>28056254
Jew /k/ube
>>
File: tumblr_mevp0kzwxv1rky11wo1_1280.jpg (118 KB, 554x774) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mevp0kzwxv1rky11wo1_1280.jpg
118 KB, 554x774
>>28056631
Literally 3/5 are blonde in pic. Fuck off. Pic also related, oldest Indo-European language ("Aryan" as academia called it before the war). Also Slavs and Balts are R1a1, and Alfred Rosenberg considered them merely enslaved to the Bolsheviks
>>
File: R1a.png (554 KB, 900x550) Image search: [Google]
R1a.png
554 KB, 900x550
>>28067208
>Slavs and Balts are R1a1
So are Poo in Loos
>>
File: Aghan_man1.jpg (72 KB, 510x765) Image search: [Google]
Aghan_man1.jpg
72 KB, 510x765
>>28067236
And so are many Scotts, Norwegians, and even some non-cockroach """"Turks"""". Also, the witch beaches seem to be lower on the subcontinent, not in the graveyard of empires, the darker heimat.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.