[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sight Focus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hey /k/,

I understand a general rule of thumb is to focus on the front sight.

After my last range trip I realized I focused on the target but next time I'm at the range I'll focus on the front sight and see if there is an improvement in my groups.

What does /k/ do?

Personally, I'm not sure how focusing on the front sight increases accuracy because the target becomes blurry. Please enlighten me.

>TL;DR Do you like to focus on the front sight or the target when shooting?

P.S. Pic and link related. Focus of the front sight can be found under "Aiming."

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/four-fundamentals-of-mark.shtml
>>
Front sight focus is everything if you want to shoot fast and accurate.

Do some dry firing a couple of times a week.
>>
The front sight is the important part. That's the part you're lining up with the back sight, and the part you're lining up on the target.

You won't hit anything if your sights aren't aligned and focused right.
>>
You should focus entirely on the front sight, and observe it with the perfect presence of an uncluttered mind as you press the trigger.

You should see your sight lift the moment your handgun fires, and ideally you should see it track all the way up and then back down into the rear sight notch.

This is for slowfire accuracy. There are degrees of sight focus and acceptability when speed is involved as you gain experience, but you should investigate your front sight thoroughly before tackling anything else.
>>
I dunno what I'm doing, but I keep both eyes open and everything stays clear. Attention is on the front sight, obviously, but the target never gets that much out of focus.

Dunno OP, shoot moar.
>>
>>28048051
To elaborate - you will have a much harder time calling shots with target focus, and calling shots is vital.

The biggest factor in play is that focusing on the front sight allows your sights to tell you what the gun is doing (or rather what you are doing to the gun). You do not get much if any feedback from a blurry sight, and you must learn to call shots to shoot well.
>>
>>28048096

Op here, what you're saying makes sense but what do you mean by calling shots? I assume that is to predict where your shot will go, correct?
>>
>>28047943
Front sight focus both eyes open.
>>
>>28048907
Not that guy, but you've pretty much got the idea. The instant the shot breaks, your mind will naturally "take a picture" of where the sights were in relation to one another and to the target. Calling your shot is being able to read those inputs and know where the shot will land without having to look at the target for confirmation. Front sight focus is a good thing because it's the middle ground between your three inputs: target, front sight, rear sight. Looking at the rear sight won't give you much information about the front sight or the target. Looking at the target won't give you much information about your front and rear sights. Focusing on the front sight allows you to get good (not perfect) input from the target and the rear, and perfect input from the front sight. Trigger control aside, pristine sight alignment (not necessarily sight picture) is the key to accuracy at range.

tl;dr: pay attention to your front sight
>>
>>28047943
I switch between the target and front sight. Its really dependent on what gun you're using as well, and your draw distance, as well as your eyes. Do what you find comfortable, can do quickly, and can do effectively.

With my SKS i focus on the front, but if i put on a 2 butt pad i can focus on the front and rear perfectly.
>>
Depending on your range.... Try shooting with your eyes closed. Just use the feel of your gun to aim. Not optimal for target shooting but in CQC self defense that is how you will be shooting in real life and death.
>>
OP here,

Thanks to everyone for the tips. If I have time, I'll go to the range this Saturday and I'll post an update if my groups improved. Until then I'll practice dry firing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.