[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What benefits would come with hunting North American big game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 1433993680556.jpg (168 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1433993680556.jpg
168 KB, 1024x683
What benefits would come with hunting North American big game with e 45-70 lever action over a 30.06 bolt action?

I've always been a bolt action person but I would like to know the practical benefits of using a lever action.
>>
>>28044499
None
>>
Only advantage I can think of is more capacity. I'd still prefer a Mauser over a lever though.
>>
>>28044509
/thread
>>
fun
keks
swag
etc.
>>
Not much is going to survive a 400gn bullet hitting them with 1700+ft/lbs of energy.
>>
Doesn't the 45-70 have more stopping power?
>>
>>28044600
Stupid.
>>
>>28044600
It more than makes up for it with that rainbow trajectory.
Face it cowboyaboos: the 45-70 is outdated and useless
>>
>>28044625
I don't know. If I'm bumping around grizzly country, I'd just as soon have a .45-70 guide gun as anything.
>>
>>28044625
But what if you need to shoot a bear 600 yards away that is hiding behind another bear?

Checkmate atheists
>>
>>28044499
Are you hunting in heavy brush? Are there bears aboot?

Firing from the shoulder the lever gun is certainly a bit faster to cycle.
>>
>>28044669
>rainbow trajectory
>600 yards away
Nigger reading is good for you!
>>
File: boss.jpg (96 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
96 KB, 960x720
>>28044499

How big are we talking?

Are we talking JUST hunting and taking shots with an unaware animal?

45-70 is good bear medicine that will go end through end of buffalo. I live up in Alaska and i carry a 30-06 in areas where its just black bear and deer but a 45-70 when in brownie country.

A lot of guides up here choose 45-70.
>>
>>28044684
I think he was implying you lob the round like a mortar desu
>>
>>28044756
True, it might make a decent indirect fire weapon at those ranges. For a rifle anyway.
>>
>>28044499
the 45-70 lever action will be a very handy rifle. They point naturally and are generally very nice to carry slung over your back, especially in thicker cover. Using a 420gr garret hammerhead, or similar load, you will be able to hunt just about anything without having to change ammo types. A heavy, flat nosed, cast lead 45-70 bullet will drill a roughly golf ball sized hole in one side and out the other of anything you choose to point it at, regardless of species or which direction it is facing.

Pros: One ammo type to do it all. Consistent, reliable wound channels, regardless of what you shoot at. minimal meat damage, mind boggling penetration.

Cons: Limited effective range, they are fairly accurate, but for long range shots, knowing the exact target distance becomes critical to compensate for bullet drop. Limited hydrostatic shock. Blunt lead 45-70 slugs do damage by maintaining velocity as they crush a wound channel trough a target. this generally breaks lots of things and causes death by blood loss. they do not have the shock value of a 150 gr bullet coming apart at 3000 fps, plan accordingly.
>>
>>28044873
Also, the recoil can be pretty stout, and they get expensive if you don't reload
>>
File: eyes 1.jpg (220 KB, 535x677) Image search: [Google]
eyes 1.jpg
220 KB, 535x677
>>28044499
big holes instead of smaller holes?
>>
>>28044684
Shit I was going to return an insult but I see that my TYPO omitted the 1 from 1600.

Go fuck yourself
>>
45-70 is a larger bullet, more grains, and can have a larger meplat.

Go look at .45-70 bullets recommended for grizzly defense. You will notice that the 30-06 has NOTHING like it.

The 500+ grain bullets with a flat top can punch through bones without deflecting and they have enough mass to punch through a bear after breaking both shoulders. There are tons of stories I've read about people killing two deer or elk with one bullet because it passed through their target and had enough punch left to kill whatever was behind it.

Go to Garrett Cartridges website and look at their 540 grain Hammerheads for the 45-70, it's extreme stuff. They say the NOAA carries those for bear defense.

Having a lever action means you can be much faster shooting than if you were using a bolt action, and if a large animal is charging you, you'd want a lever action instead of a bolt action.

I saw a guy compare factory loads of the 45-70 and 30-06 and the 30-06 could penetrate a 12' tree trunk cleanly but the 45-70 fell an inch short of going clean through. If it was a hotter load or copper jacketed point tip it probably would have busted clean through.

I saw a guy on YouTube drape a bullet proof vest over a metal drum and even though it didn't penetrate it left such a huge dent I'm pretty convinced it would have crushed someone's heart against their sternum.

You can get crazy range with one if you're a good shooter. When the military was doing volley fire with 45-70 their tests showed it could have killing power 3,500 yards out.

If your in brush, it's less likely to deflect much from hitting plant growth.

It's like a 200 year old cartridge and we still use it. There's good reasons for that.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.