[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PFM-1 and Blu-43
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: blu43.jpg (20 KB, 440x427) Image search: [Google]
blu43.jpg
20 KB, 440x427
Why did the russians get into so much trouble for the PFM-1 as "mines dressed up as toys" when it's just a straight copy of the american Blu-43 used excessively in vietnam?

Didnt find any real answer while googling, just a hillariously outdated forum post on arstechinca full of retarded boomers and gen-x c u c k s.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=921100

makes you appreciate /k/ so much more, when you look at those retards.
>>
>>28037970
I dont think kids ever mistook them for toys honestly. Afghan kids didn't know to automatically associate plastic=toy like American kids.
>>
>>28037833
>Americans dropped them in areas where mostly viet cong or minh taveled
>Russia dropped them everywhere
Gee I wonder why
>>
>>28037978
According to the arstechnica forum posts they were green so muslim children will flock to them.
But the fact that the Blu-43 was green too kinda makes that theory obsolete, doesnt it?
>>
>>28037978

Nigger do you know Afghans? They creamed their pants over ball point pens and bottled water when I deployed back in 2014.
>>
File: jackedup.jpg (42 KB, 1645x164) Image search: [Google]
jackedup.jpg
42 KB, 1645x164
>>28038008
some example
>>
>>28038010
Well afghans are technically walking baboons wearing rags. I guess they would get excited over anything
>>
>>28038008
How about the fact that only Russia dropped them on muslim children to begin with?
>hey these muslim children keep blowing their hands off with the PFM-1
>why do no muslim children blow their hands off with the BLU-43?
>because there aren't any
>>
>>28038008
Pretty sure they were green because they were just left over stock, not specifically designed for desert warfare.

Green is standard fare for most of the world.
>>
>>28038008
>>28038014
Thats fucking retarded. They weren't even green to begin with, they were a greenish-blue color.
>>
>>28038032
The americans dropped them on vietnamese children and napalm too.
This leads me to the conclusion that the whole moral outrage about the PFM-1 was just boomers being boomers again.
>>
File: media spin.jpg (28 KB, 275x320) Image search: [Google]
media spin.jpg
28 KB, 275x320
It's called propaganda. It's where you say shit about your enemy (often untrue or exaggerated shit) to make them look bad. This may include omitting important details from the story.
>>
I'd think a plain submunition like these, would look more "fun".
>>
>>28038050
Oh yeah, but the whole muslim thing. Muslims only played with the Russian ones because those were the only ones around muslims.

Sorta like Vietnamese children only played with the American ones because those were the only ones around Vietnamese children.

It's kinda like going "hey why does nobody in Japan drive a Ford F350 Super Duty?" Because they can't get them.
>>
>>28038071
Those honestly do look like they'd be fun to throw around and play catch with.
>>
>>28038090
But during the entire outrage nobody even bothered to mention that the russian ones are a direct copy of the american ones.
>>
>>28038101
Exactly, about the right size for a little kid.
>>
>>28037833
because vietnamese children are smarter than afghan ones.
>>
>>28037833
So really we should be pissed at the Ruskies for stealing our anti-child mines. Get fucked commies.
>>
File: PFM1_mine.jpg (691 KB, 3000x1800) Image search: [Google]
PFM1_mine.jpg
691 KB, 3000x1800
Go ahead, ask /toy/ if they'd play with this thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY904Uj859g

Favorite submunition time? BLU-114/B the "Soft bomb", dropped for the first time during the Yugoslavian civil war.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/blu-114.htm

Its smart, its simple, not terribly expensive and takes FOREVER to clean up.
>>
>>28038090
Niggie you're not understanding. Nobody cared when America used plastic mines. People cared when Russia used plastic mines. It's not specifically about X-person-playing-with-Y-mine. It's that the US used them without repercussion.
>>
>>28038197
This is so cool
Thanks anon I had no idea this even existed

Reminds me of those guys who "manually" shut down the grid out west
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack
>>
>>28038120
It's just an appropriate size for the effective kill radius needed given how far these are spread about. They don't need to be any bigger, so they aren't. They aren't made for childrens hands.
>>
>>28037833

NANANANANANANANA, BATMINE!
>>
But it's not even, they're a weird shape only because they're designed to be airdropped
>>
>>28038197
That's some sci fi shit right there
>>
>>28038014
>so that children would trust the objects and play with them.

Yeah, this is also why the US used woodland MOPP suits in Iraq.
>>
>>28037833
>Why did the russians get into so much trouble for the PFM-1 as

They didn't.
>>
>>28038071
Ceracoat it with a tennis ball pattern and you have yourself a winner
>>
>>28038008
they were green because Russia had made them for a war in Europe and used that stock first rather than manufacture tan mines
>>
>>28038197

Lol

There is some chink propaganda film on Netflix that had an RPG that used a graphite charge to short out some helicopter avionics.

They cleaned it up by dropping a "make it rain" bomb.

I had no idea that shit actually existed and was WTFing the entire time.
>>
>>28037833
>used excessively
But they weren't. They weren't common at all, which is why nobody noticed.
>>
>>28037833
I remember seeing these in Bosnia. Not nearly as common as conventional mines but they were around. Mines were my job, so I was more exposed to them than others. I was always paranoid that someone near me would dick with one and set it off. If I remember correctly you had to squeeze them two or three times before they'd detonate.
>>
>>28038050
Well when you drop green things into a jungle, they become harder to find thab when you drop then into a desert.

Also you have been mislead. The Russians filled toy cars with explosives and left them near villages. Then as they were leavng the left mines EVERYWHERE saying something like "you may have won, but your children will pay for this"
>>
>>28041236
Yes, those are the ones which use compound pressure fuzes.

Retarded soldiers will pick up submunitions of various types under the logic of "Hey that looks neat." Worse than children sometimes.
>>
>>28041310
Yup, that's exactly what made me nervous about them. I don't think we did the best job of educating people about those. Nasty little bastards.
>>
>>28038014
>implying that landmines in general are made to blow the man into 5lb gibs
I'm sure the guy that wrote has no idea how landmines work
>>
>>28038071
what are they?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.