[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are modern budget bolt action rifles better than WWI and WWII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 900x601
Are modern budget bolt action rifles better than WWI and WWII bolt action rifles at the time?

Certainly the superior technology makes a better and cheaper rifle, right?
>>
>>28031417
What do you mean by better? They're not made to do the same things, even if they're both bolt action rifles.
>>
>>28031436
/thread
>>
>>28031417
Mauser > Enfield > every other cheap bolt action.
and that depends on your definition of cheap.
>>
>>28031436
Accuracy and sturdiness.
>>
>>28031449
>Accuracy and sturdiness.

Yes, I would say in general accuracy is better due to improved manufacturing precision, and materials quality is certainly much better.
>>
>>28031449

Many economy rifles of today can shoot sub MOA using off the shelf ammunition. But as far as durability, do you think a Ruger American can survive the trenches of WW1 and a century of being knocked around and still perform as designed? Probably not.
>>
>>28031469
So an army of soldiers wielding a Ruger American Rifle would have been superior to others using a Mosin Nagant, or even a Mauser?
>>
>>28031493
Once again, /thread
>>
>>28031507
>/thread /thread /thread /thread

Jesus just shut the fuck up god damn. You have no authority retard.
>>
>>28031493
I bet it could actually.
>>
>>28031542

You're probably right. Not much to break and the durability of optics don't count against the rifle.
>>
>>28031556
I was basing that more on the superiority of modern metals (including being able to have stainless steel barrels, bolts, actions) and the fact that synthetic furniture exists now.
>>
>>28031417
Nothing beats a machined and handmade rifle
This is the reason pre-1964 Winchester files command a premium
1964 is the year Winchester switched to mass produced
>>
>>28031573
There's nothing inherently superior about handmade.
>>
>>28031573
>machined
>hand-made
pick one faggot
>>
>>28031569
That's not accounting for the decades of bayonet exercises, jostling and general fucking around soldiers do.
>>
>>28031498
Nagant yes because in reality it is a shit meme rifle Mauser thatd be a different case I feel like
>>
>>28031579

Are you a fucking teenager or something? You machine gun parts by hand. Where the FUCK do you work?
>>
>>28031603
>mauser isnt meme rifle
found the wehraboo
>>
>>28031536
It's true though.

The mechanisms tend to have worse triggers, and the bore tends to not be as precise, but for fucks sake they're durable as hell.

They also tend to have rounds meant for being shot at people behind cover, and bayonet lugs for when shit goes south, as well as stripper clip guides for quicker reloads.

It's simple. They're not the same guns even though the basic principle is roughly the same.
>>
>>28031579
>machined
>hand made
What next, stupid fuckers are gonna be fucking around with
>painted
>hand made art
Fuck you you stupid fuck.
>>
>>28031608
no, im just not retarded enough to know that a rifle machined by Fudd McFuddson isnt better than one made by a computer.
>>
>>28031599
You're a fucking moron. You pryend like surplus rifles have literally never been maintained.
>>
>>28031647
You stupid fuck. You have no damn idea what the fuck you're talking about.

You might not be more precise, but you can tupically use harder and more durable material due to the cost of an analog mill being less than that of a CnC machine that could cut the same material without breaking a bit every five fucking seconds.
>>
>>28031493
being knocked around? Maybe not, but polymer stock doesn't rot off if conditions where horrid.
>>
>>28031677
in the course of even a 10 year war, i would prefer wood. in the case of a 50 year war where i could only ever be issued one gun, i would use polymer or aluminum
>>
Finnish M85 sniper rifle is based in Mosin-Nagant construction.

Rifle have of course new barrel, trigger system, bipod, stock, Zeiss scope etc.
But bolt is original Mosin-Nagant.

Bullet is "oversize" 13 gram Lapua D-166. No other bullets are allowed to use in M85

Rifle is accurate up to 1000 yrds.
>>
If you build a rifle using a Mauser action with modern steel and modern manufacturing techniques/precision tools it will be superior to a historic mauser-actioned rifle. That's true even if you could compare them both as-new.

Having said that, many modern bolt actions are compromised by corner cutting in order to keep costs low. This means they have simplified actions for mass production.
>>
>>28031675
>that whole post

Kek
>>
>>28031556
>optics

Therein lies a problem, 95% of modern bolts have no iron sights meaning you would have to have an optic, not to mention lack of stripper clip feeding. Id take a G98 or SMLE any time over any current production bolt rifle.
>>
>>28032246
>not replying
>just laughing with fake superiority
>"damn, I have no response. Let's just pretend I'm better than him"
>>
>>28032287
>no iron sights
That reminds me of another problem- really thin barrels on the average sporter. Those accurate rifles are accurate for maybe 3 shots, then the groups open up.
>>
>>28032306
>make retarded post
>get laughed at

I see no problem
>>
>>28032374
It also seems like the finish on most modern rifles rust at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>28032374
I've shot my friends Ruger American (currently don't have any modern sporters) and it will definitely open up after a couple clips but after an entire afternoon of shooting the worst it got was about 3-4 moa and a bit of that was most likely me.

>>28032398
Most finishes rust because people don't coat it with a layer of Renaissance Wax or even normal grease it once they get it, which honestly should be done at the factory but it is what it is.
>>
Yes dipshit. Most use improved mauser bolts.
>>
>>28031498
They would probably ruggedize the design for combat
>>
>>28031579
I will type slow so you can keep up.
Let's say I take a billet of steel, a fucking block of steel, much like your head.
And a machinist uses a machine to cut and form that block of steel into a reciever. That would be a machined piece. Machined by a craftsman called a machinist.
As opposed to mass producing stamped parts from sheet metal.
Then another craftsman takes all of the machined parts and hand fits them together to make a single rifle.
>>
>>28031579
yes, ivan will beat the chunks of metal into the correct shape with his bear hands
>>
>>28035690
Majority of production guns were forged and then machined, what you are describing is hand fitting, which I will grant was de rigueur back in the day but is by no means of the term is hand-made. This is an odd concept you don't seem to understand because you said yourself you typed out slowly.
>>
>>28031498
>Ruger American Rifle

Maybe not with an el cheapo gun such as this, but if it was, say a Tikka T3, yes absolutely.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.