[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Combat during inclement weather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: hurricane.jpg (84 KB, 920x650) Image search: [Google]
hurricane.jpg
84 KB, 920x650
Have skirmishes been fault during hurricanes or tornado heavy weather?

Can shitty weather be used for a tactical advantage? Are there any examples in history that don't involved snow/dust storms?
>>
>>28023518

>Are there any examples in history that don't involved snow/dust storms?

Battle of Fornovo fought in 1495 had some pretty bad rains which soaked the French and Italian cannons gunpowder making them all but useless. Also the Italians, who arrived several days before the French to the battlefield, thought up a brilliant plan of starting on one side of the river, fording in four places, and attacking the French on the other side. It didn't work that well.

The typhoons of 1274 and 1281 which prevented the Mongolians fleet from invading Japan, giving rise to the term kamikaze or divine wind, is another example.
>>
look into gang violence during katrina
>>
Using the seasonal winds to burn your enemy out was pretty common in Asian warfare. I doubt setting forests on fire level of collateral damage is acceptable in the modern warfare.

Mongols one time wait until a monsoon in India to wage a siege. The rain comes and the river swell. They re-routed a river to flood a citadel.
>>
>>28023518
I have no idea, but that's honestly an interesting question.
>>
>>28024717
>They re-routed a river to flood a citadel.

Mongols did a lot of stuff like that. Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans was a really good podcast.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwOEMy5pg2g
>>
File: 1412216640597.jpg (28 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1412216640597.jpg
28 KB, 500x359
>>28024747
>Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans was a really good podcast.
>>
File: Drabantvärja m1701.jpg (280 KB, 1554x2021) Image search: [Google]
Drabantvärja m1701.jpg
280 KB, 1554x2021
Heavy fog played a pretty crucial role at the Battle of Narva.
>>
>>28023518
>March 29 1461

The Battle of Towton, during the War of the Roses, had the Yorkist and Lancastrian forces fight during a snowstorm for hours.

The Yorkist archers had the wind against their back which sent their arrows further compared to the Lancastrian archers who had their arrows fly against the wind.

By the end of the day, over 28000 died.
>>
>>28024747

The Maya did something similar, using the tide to cut an island off a point of land, under retreat from the Spanish. Human labor plus water can do some amazing shit.
>>
>>28024856
sorry? Care to point out a better podcast on the mongols?
>>
One time in BF4, a huge storm kicked up and made fighting really hard.
>>
>>28023518

From my cursory reading of history, most battles are fought in shitty weather. Unless you are in the middle east, with sand grating your ass, very few battles have been fought in sunny warm weather.

It's the soldier's life.
>>
File: fob.jpg (34 KB, 209x300) Image search: [Google]
fob.jpg
34 KB, 209x300
>>28023518
>>
>>28023518
FSA/ISL used a fuckhuge sandstorm to assault and take one of Assads airbases

It had been besieged for ages and they couldent crack it, but with the sandstorm coming in and dropping visibility they were able to take it.

I also beleive a sandstorm played a fairly significant role in the Invasion of Iraq - I cant remeber what though
>>
File: M1-A1_Abrams_1.jpg (2 MB, 3008x1960) Image search: [Google]
M1-A1_Abrams_1.jpg
2 MB, 3008x1960
>>28025855
A sandstorm of....tanks.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.