[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prairie Dog Gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: itshappening.jpg (41 KB, 501x403) Image search: [Google]
itshappening.jpg
41 KB, 501x403
I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've found that firearms are a good distraction to the boredom of sobriety. I've got all of my basics covered and now I want a project gun. Something to buy and over time to slowly transform it into my pride and joy. The role? Medium range shooting of targets and twice annually, prairie dog hunting. I would like to engage at up to 400m. I don't want a semi-auto and I don't want to shoot rimfire. I want it to be powerful enough to humanely kill up to coyote-sized animals. What does /k/ recommend?
Pic semi-related.
>>
Why would we give a fuck that you're a sorry ass drunk? Just ask about your varmint gun.

Tikka T3 in your choice of caliber. Sako Finnlight if you're rich.
>>
File: savage maybe.png (68 KB, 900x144) Image search: [Google]
savage maybe.png
68 KB, 900x144
OP here.
I was thinking maybe a Savage 12 LRPV Left Port
in .204 Ruger or .22-250
>>
>>27958678
>Tikka T3
What caliber would you suggest?
>>
>>27958642
You could use a nice little .22 but Id recommend a 9mm AR. Great tool and if you ever want a 5.56 AR you're halfway there
>>
>>27958724
>varmint gun
Varmint caliber. 5.56, .204 Ruger, etc.
>>
Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua
>>
>>27959128
I really like .22-250 and .204 Ruger. In this application, which would be better all around? The prairie dog hunt is in North Dakota on the prairie where the wind blows all the fucking time (NoDa/k/ommandoes know what I mean) so I definitely want something that can beat the wind a little bit.
>>
>>27959153
are you reloading or just buying commercial?

It really makes a difference. Just as a comparison, using 50gr Berger bullets in each, even with the 204 going a good bit slower, it will beat the wind better than the 22-250. (ber jbmballistics calculator)
>>
>>27959289
Reloading for sure. Should be ordering my reloading gear in the first week of January.
>>
>>27959371
with the coyote requirement, I'd go with the 22-250 or a faster-than-usual-twist 204 so you can shoot the heavier bullets.

I don't know if you can find an off-the-shelf 204 with faster than 1:12 twist, though. So, you'd be stuck using the lighter bullets, and wind-bucking advantage would mostly be lost.
>>
>>27959459
as well as making it marginal for coyote (with the lighter bullets)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.