[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Katana
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 20151121_212932.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20151121_212932.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
One of my work associates recently purchased a Katana from someone for 200$. From the construction of the blade it was obviously a hand forged piece. When we took a look at the Tang these kanji were chiseled into the metal. It looks like a maker's signature but I cannot read Japanese. Can anyone translate what these kanji are?
>>
>>27951721
It reads: Made in USA
>>
>>27951721
I hate to break it to you, but your friend didn't buy a katana. What you have there is a sheet of graph paper.
>>
>>27951721
The one on the bottom vaguely resembles fire to me (might be water or something like that)
It's been a while since I voluntarily listened to my weeb-ass father prattle on and show off how he's fluent in Japanese though...
>>
>The pleasure of being cummed inside.
>>
>>27951721
first one is "mountain", last one is "plump". I have no idea what the middle one is. Too drunk, sorry.
>>
>>27951721
>200 dollars
>authentic
Lel oh lel
>>
>>27951801
Never said it was authentic, just said that it looked hand forged because it had a prominent "Hamon." He got it from some guy at a gun show for 100$ and a trade.
>>
>>27951750
kek on dat one
>>
The last one doesn't really look like a kanji. It could be
太? That's >>27951774

>>27951755
水 = water
火 = fire

maybe if OP just really butchered the copy.

Middle one is definitely not a commonly used one.
http://jisho.org/search/%E5%8D%85
That's definitely not the usual way of writing out 30.

Any chance you can get a photo of the sword itself?
>>
>>27951831
>He got it from some guy at a gun show
>prominent hamon
Acid etched shit purchased from gun shows should probably not be traded for.
>>
>>27951831
>just said that it looked hand forged because it had a prominent "Hamon."
you are now aware that you can fake a hamon with pattern welding and finishing.

legit vintage collectible katana from ww2 and prior are in the thousands to tens of thousands. a modern one with the same techniques would cost a similar amount because of the large amount of hand work in them and that very few katana sword smiths are alive today.
>>
>>27951878
Yeah I was thinking 太, but it's hard to tell because of OP's shitty moon rune copy.
>>
>>27951899

I got a quick look at the Hamon, it looked very jagged and uneven, I don't know what that means. Also my associate mentioned that the part where the two metals meet looked like it was starting to deteriorate but he thinks that's because the redneck he got it from was using it to chop wood.

I heard that some ww2 blades were taken as prizes by the allies, could someone just not be aware of what they had?
>>
>>27951949
My granddad has one. Or he used to, at least.
>>
>>27951924

Yea, I didn't really have time for an exact copy because we were both at work at the time. I copied it from a picture he showed me of when he took it apart.
>>
>>27951949
>could someone just not be aware of what they had

Every Pacific vet I've known through the years has been pretty proud of their souvenirs, so I doubt it.

One guy I knew had a diary that a dying Japanese soldier handed to him after he shot the guy in the chest. He held onto it for sixty fucking years, and looked at it every day, until one day he decided to try to internet, and he found the grand-daughter of the soldier he killed. There was a sketch of her face as a child in the book that her dad drew the day he left home. Watching him return the book to the family was one of the hardest things not to cry seeing that I've ever experienced. I'm kind of misting up a bit just reflecting on it.

Why am I telling this story in a topic about a shitty dime store katana again?
>>
>>27951721

Directly translates to Haiku:

>Fedora faggot,
>Katanas are very gay
>Fucking Weeaboo
>>
>>27951721
Is this you OP?
https://youtu.be/jb3UobSZl34
>>
>>27951750
Fucking lost it
>>
OP I'm no expert but I think it says something about happiness of exiting inside.
>>
>>27951721
it reads "the pleasure of being cummed inside" OP
>>
File: earth-wind-and-fire.jpg (68 KB, 688x515) Image search: [Google]
earth-wind-and-fire.jpg
68 KB, 688x515
>>27951721

It says "Earth Wind and Fire"

congrats. your friend has a authentic nigger sword from the Fun 'Fro dynasty.
>>
>>27952272
That was painful to watch
>>
It's just a name
>>
>>27951721
>'made by Jin at shanghai sweatshop'
>>
>>27951721

It probably says 山木太, but the middle character is almost illegible.
A search on http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/ doesn't bring up any swordsmiths with that name, but I don't know shit about katanas.
>>
>>27953801

burdy gud band though tbhfam
>>
File: lol.jpg (19 KB, 258x306) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
19 KB, 258x306
>>27951750
Lel
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.