[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Puukkos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: puukko.jpg (725 KB, 3776x2520) Image search: [Google]
puukko.jpg
725 KB, 3776x2520
Practical or pure aesthetic?
>>
>>27942414

There is already a knife thread you massive faggot. Try checking the catalog next time.
>>
>>27942414
Considering the Finns have been using that style knife for around a millennia, its a practical design. Not so much in the US where everyone batons the fuck out of their knives and use tips as pry bars.
>>
File: Puukko Wallpaper 03.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Puukko Wallpaper 03.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Pretty good.
>>
>>27944062

What's batoning a knife? Keep hearing it but can't quite picture it.
>>
>>27944585
you take a knife stick it into a piece of wood then smash on it with another piece of wood until the wood is cut in half or the knife breaks
>>
>>27944613

Well that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>27944634
yeah but at some point all the assholes on youtube decided thats how you tell a quality knife from a shit one
>>
>>27942414
They're lovely knives, but I mistrust anything that doesn't have some sort of groove or guard or anything to prevent your hand from sliding up onto the blade if you bear down on whatever you're trying to cut.

I'm sure that's horseshit, but it looks like the Scandanavian/Finnish knives are meant to be used in subzero temps by guys wearing big mittens and... I just can't. It's me.

/hangs head

>>27944613
Jesus H. fuck. I have never done that in my life, not even with a cheap Old Hickory. Some people just don't know how to take care of nice things.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>27944643

It's an important utility function.
>>
>>27944661
Did it with my Glock brand Glock knife to make kindling, worked fine. A knife is a tool and you shouldn't be afraid to use it as one (within reason)
>>
File: 3305691.jpg (135 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
3305691.jpg
135 KB, 800x600
>>
File: mozg_rozjebany.gif (427 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mozg_rozjebany.gif
427 KB, 200x200
>aesthetic
>probably the most practical knife
>>
File: bk3-2.jpg (557 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
bk3-2.jpg
557 KB, 2592x1936
>>27944662
>not just getting an axe or multitool
>>
>>27944820
Yeah but Glock knives are tough motherfuckers that can take a ton of shit.

Though I managed to fuck up the tip of mine. Got a bad bounce when I was throwing it and it managed to find a ceramic tile buried in the grass.
>>
>>27944662
Its a minor emergancy funtion.
If you need to make kindling on a regular basis get a hatchet. Your knife is for cutting not chopping wood.
>>
>>27944898
I'm so mad I didn't get one sooner. I swear they were like 50-60 bucks on Amazon a few months ago now they're 100
>>
File: leuku.jpg (107 KB, 638x386) Image search: [Google]
leuku.jpg
107 KB, 638x386
>>27944062
Finns have leukko for such things like batoning etc.
>>
>>27944941
I feel this is lost in the bantz, most people carry a folding saw and the need to cut kindling is dependent on situation and environment.

Obviously in a place where you need a decent bit of wood and it's constantly wet/ frozen a hatchet would be worth the weight but somewhere dry where you would be fine just chucking some stripped branches onto a fire it would be less of a consideration.

Instead you have internet tryhards saying that EVERYONE needs a hatchet or NO ONE needs one and going into circle jerks to confirm thier points.
>>
What would you recommend for a good puukko on the market?
I would make one myself out of the Northern Nevada trees, but I do not have the materials or time.
>>
>>27945005
For utility/bushcraft knife:
>9-11cm blade
Above ~12cm and it becomes to long for some work
>carbon steel
The ease of sharpening outweighs any negatives it has
>handle out of birch with stained finish
Looks nice with good grip even when wet
>no finger guard
Use of proper technique is what guards your fingers and the reason finger guards are shunned for these type of knifes is that they get in the way when using some grips that offer superb blade control for more intricate work. Utility knife, not a staby stab knife.

Marttini for example:
http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Products/127012
>>
>>27944878
Unexpected erection time.
>>
>>27945694

>Use of proper technique is what guards your fingers and the reason finger guards are shunned for these type of knifes is that they get in the way when using some grips that offer superb blade control for more intricate work. Utility knife, not a staby stab knife.

This.

I always wonder how people are able to cut their fingers without a guard.

But I suppose any person who batons with a knife doesn't even know how to hold one, either :( and even here, you see THAT kind of people a lot.
>>
File: DSC_6249.jpg (3 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6249.jpg
3 MB, 2400x1600
>>27945694
>Utility knife, not a staby stab knife.
This. It's not meant to be a weapon.

>>27944965
*Leuku
And technically it's a Sami knife.

In pic two of my most used puukkos. Not very traditional or handy for accurate work but a good balance of everything. And very rugged.
>>
>>27944941
>>Its a minor emergancy funtion.
>Emergency situation with only 1 knife to get wood
>Use knife in the wrong way and brake it.

Good job.
>>
>>27944898
>100 pry bar

Maybe when they were cheap in the beginning I'd have jumped on the train, but at this point I can just grind an edge onto a standard crowbar and get the same effect. Shit, I might actually do that.
>>
>>27945003
You know it goes, everyone wants to be cool like the guy on youtube, buy fuck pressure cuts or using wedges.

I baton shit now and then, but that's because I have a ton of overly thick budk tier shit people have given me over the years that I don't really care about, so why not use that to learn so if I ever HAVE to baton I won't fuck it up
>>
>>27947085
I mean if the knife isn't shit you'll be able to baton with it. Most full tang fixed blades can take it

A well made folding knife can as well but I would not lock the blade because the lock would be the failure point.

How exactly would you use a knife to make kindling if you did not have a better tool?
>>
>>27949122
Find smaller pieces of wood that don't need to be split

Don't go innawoods with just a knife
>>
>>27942414

Great blade design for hunting. Hide and contact with bone dulls up a knife edge quickly and scandi's are the easiest to sharpen freehand in the field. Ten passes with a dry mini diamond stone on each side and you're back in business.

I have more expensive knives but my mora companion is still my favourite because it's lighter, more weather resistant and sharpens up faster.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.