[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military for retirement vs ETS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1447899862431.gif (894 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1447899862431.gif
894 KB, 500x281
Which is the best move for someone with 10 years?
>>
>>27933445
That depends. What job do you currently have? What's more important--loving your job and getting keked at home or getting paid more money in the private sector?
>>
>>27933445
to kill you're selfe welfare queen
>>
>>27933445
Do it, get VA and retirement after another 10 years. Let's say you retire as an E8. 50% of that will be around $2500 after taxes with inflation. And let's say you're not a faggot and you're infantry. With 10 years in, I'd say you may have deployed maybe 3 times in country, again if you aren't a faggot. So with all injuries associated with the infantry, such as hearing loss, bad knees/ back, sleep apnea, PTSD, STD's, etc., it's safe to assume you may receive either 70-100% VA compensation, again if you're infantry and not a faggot. That can add an additional $1600-3000 more a month. That's around $49,200-$66,000yr being retired. Think about how fast those 10 years went. And I guarantee you that civilian work is just as stupid as the dumbest shit you do while in, like cutting the grass with scissors, sweeping the dirt, etc.
>>
>>27933512
voice of reason here.

Dont squander away the potential of that juicy, voloptuous government retirement teat.
>>
>>27933445
ETSing several years earlier and actually getting a real job.

>inb4 I'm an anti-military civilian
>actually active duty

>>27933512
Minus condoning reuping as a lifer, everything else is true, and you shouldn't re-enlist for the aforemention reasons.

Just because you, and everyone else in the military (mostly senior NCOs) all suffer from Stockholm Syndrome doesn't mean its good advice to re up. Contrary to popular opinon the civilian world has better career paths. If you know anything about retirment plans and propper saving you'll have more money if you don't re up if thats such a huge concearn for you.

But seriously, unless you really love your job, and can get another job for another 20 years and retire at 60 with 2 pensions fuck that idea. Make more in the civilian sector.
>>
>>27933569
> the civilian world has better career paths

Please name a company that takes dumbass kids who can barely graduate high school, train them for a few months, offer them housing, food, clothing, etc., and pay them? Not only that, you offer the opportunity to gain rank, which is less dumb shit you do and more perks you get. Smoking pot and wanting a "real" civilian career is a myth. There's a reason why you joined, it was because you couldn't afford/ get into college, whereas there are dindu's in Ivy league schools protesting, You'll have to deal with SJW's, feminism, blue falcons, lazy fucks, and the bottom of the barrel when joining a new company, which also doesn't pay dick. OP will be around 28, and possibly without a degree if he gets out. So again, which job will give him more in the civilian sector, in which after 10 years he can retire with $49-66K a year?
>>
>>27933740
>dumbass kids who can barely graduate high school

Stopped reading there. If you're going generalize hundreds of thousands of very different people I am just not going to argue with you. Technically I gotta go back to work in 30 mins anyway, but take me for example, it wouldn't be hard for me to refine any of the skills I've already learned, or goto college and develop a trade and just make first sergeant pay right out the gate, don't pretend everyone's going to get out of the military and flip burgers, thats not how it works.
>>
>>27933740
i question if youve actually worked a day in your fucking life, because you are spouting a lot of bullshit that you typically see on the internet, but very rarely see in real life.

>So again, which job will give him more in the civilian sector, in which after 10 years he can retire with $49-66K a year?

16 years (assuming 4 years spent in college) of white collar, no body-wrecking work would definitely pay off better than having a fucking shit military job for 20 years. Your pay would be greater at every point, your freedom to do whatever is inifintiely greater, and depending on the academic track you took in college (STEM or finance degree), you would be much better off financially.
>>
>>27933467
I'm a warrant officer. I'll will be at 10 years before I'm eligible to ETS. a part of me just misses being a civilian and wants to go to school and do something else
>>
>>27933840

>WO

Shit, I'll trade with you. What's your MOS?
>>
>>27933840

Also, Civ world sucks. I got out after 5 years as a grunt and kinda regret it now. I should have reclassed and stayed in. Civ life can be very frustersting. Especially when you see all this shit in the news going on and you're just sitting on your ass. I've been thinking of an hero the past 2 years. I feel pretty worthless now.
>>
>>27933884
well I shouldn't say I am one. but I'm going to WOCS this year. to become a pilot. Maybe it will change once I'm flying helicopters, but parts of the military just piss me off and I'm envious of my civilian friends.
>>
>>27933898
Stay in. Learn to fly. Once your next contract is over, retire to civilian aviation.
>>
>>27933898

>going to be a pilot

God dammit. Be happy with that. That's fucking awesome. And you'll be doing real shit. You could retire out at 20 years with a fuck load of hours and get practically any helicopter slot as a Civ AND you'll have your retirement hitting your checking account every month. I wish I could be a pilot. That's always been my dream job. But I'm not smart enough.
>>
>>27933811
I apologize for the dumb kid remark, but most, including myself were in that position. I got out WITH a Bachelors in Psych, got my Master's in Marriage and family therapy, now off for my PsyD. In the end, i'll make around 90-120K working for the VA, being a counselor. Had I stayed in, I would have made around 66K with dual retirement in the same amount of time it took me to get my PsyD, but the money I would have made would be not to work, instead of hearing people complain about feelings all day. That route would still leave me time to make up that extra 40K, seeing I would have achieved my Master's before 20yrs. I agree about putting in effort, but you'll need time to refine those skills, or go to college. A 4 year degree doesn't pay much since everyone has one, which leaves you 6 more years to make the 49-66K NOT working.
>>27933818
Yes, but you would have to work for that money. If OP decided to stay in for 10 more years, he retires with life-long benefits. And since he's a warrant officer, that means that his life is already kush, so no worries about shitty working party's, watch, etc.
>>
MUH BENEFITS
>>
>>27933925
>>27933938
this is true, I don't want to sound ungrateful for this opportunity, it is my dream and all that. its just after the excitement of finding out wore off I was stuck thinking how this is basically going to be the centerpiece of my life and I probably won't ever do anything other than this for the remainder of my life until I retire. granted its a noble and respected profession but there's always that "what if"
>>
>>27933987

Man, being a Civ is boring as fuck. Even if you go be a civilian helo pilot you'll be bored. I know the Army can really suck sometimes. But your far enough in and with the fact you're going WO for pilot you really should just do your 20. And think about it, you're going to be a WO pilot. That's the ultimate shamm life. Everyone likes Chiefs. And Chiefs don't give a fuck about anything. I wish I could be one of them.
>>
>>27933987
Well if you want to fly, you can either go military or you can self-finance. The latter is pretty difficult for a regular person. If you want to fly, you should have tried for it from the beginning--then you'd only be out 8 years and you'd be asking yourself whether to sign a new contract or go work for a civilian aviation company.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.