[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know of a good technique or at least some tips on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: FxGhTN6.jpg (80 KB, 922x615) Image search: [Google]
FxGhTN6.jpg
80 KB, 922x615
Does anyone know of a good technique or at least some tips on estimating distance/range (in general, not just on a shooting range) using eyes only? I'm a eurofag btw so only meter/kilometer units please.
>>
Best way is to guess distances to objects you can check the distance to over and over. If you have a laser range finder, guess a distance and check it. This is the most efficient and effective way to hone your eyeballing range finding skill.
>>
I'm decent at estimating distances, but only because I do it a lot at work.

I'd say to just practice a lot.
>>
>>27930439
>>
pretend there is a ruler in front of you. Now imagine how much rulers it would take to get to the target. Since each ruler is 12 inches multiply 12 by the amount of rulers it takes to get to the target and then you have your distance
>>
File: mildot formula.jpg (66 KB, 735x324) Image search: [Google]
mildot formula.jpg
66 KB, 735x324
for use of mil dot reticles
>>
File: 4IwyhgqHZfI.jpg (98 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
4IwyhgqHZfI.jpg
98 KB, 900x675
>>
>>27930463
I don't have a laser rangefinder unfortunately.

>>27930479
Any tips?

>>27930486
Seems good but only if there are birds around. What birds are those anyway?

>>27930488
Is that even possible to count? It'd take a shitload of rulers.

>>27930498
Not good for eyeball estimations.
>>
File: CTGV-p_M5gc.jpg (100 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
CTGV-p_M5gc.jpg
100 KB, 900x675
>>
File: 2wASLyVzzDM.jpg (103 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
2wASLyVzzDM.jpg
103 KB, 900x675
>>
>>27930533
>What birds are those anyway
it is a silhouette of a man carry a gun
>>
>>27930463

This, honestly. Practice makes perfect. Eventually, your gut will be spot on.
>>
>>27930533
>what birds are those anyway
LOL. Not makin fun of you, that's just funny shit. Thanks for the laugh
>>
take something you,re familiar with like a soccer field and imagine those between you and your target
>>
>>27930533
Put distances in terms of large known object sizes. For me, it's rail cars. Most are roughly 20 yds. I know what 20 of them look like easily. So I can tell you what 400 yds. is.
>>
>>27930533
>I don't have a laser rangefinder unfortunately.
Buy one or substitute with google maps.
>>
>>27930553
Oh... Didn't look like it.
>>
File: IMG_20151011_174738314.jpg (1 MB, 1574x886) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151011_174738314.jpg
1 MB, 1574x886
>>27930463
/thread

This is the best way to do it, and it's simple. If you start to get good at it you'll be able to guess within 5-10 meters which is fine for almost all practical scenarios outside of extreme precision shooting, in which case you'd probably have a range finder anyway.
>>
>>27930439
Using mils or moa is usually best. With a scope you can also set parallax and try to spot reticle movement. You could also use a GPS and try to calculate physical distance. Easiest way would be to zero your rifle to hit about center and guess--shoot high if you think they're beyond your zero (of like 300 to 500 yards). As for an individual, the thumb trick isn't universal. Perspective changes, arms are different lengths, and thumbs have various dimensions.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.