[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you even shoot down hypersonic planes? Scramjets theoretically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 1447882994197.jpg (21 KB, 469x255) Image search: [Google]
1447882994197.jpg
21 KB, 469x255
How do you even shoot down hypersonic planes? Scramjets theoretically work up to mach 40, nearly twice the velocity needed to attain orbit, you'd need a fucking falcon 9 sized sam to get that kind of velocity and altitude! Inb4 "le antiaircraft lasers)
>>
Wing it and go fast
>>
>>27930018
I Mean even a sabre engine can get up to mach 6 ish, and cruise at mach 2-4, and the sr71 managed to evade Sams by going mach 3ish (there was something like 117 missles launched with no hits)
>>
You get a wizard, obviously.

He'll cast lightning against the planes.

Lightning travels around mach 300.
>>
Blow up shit in their flight path.
>>
Get it to fly under the clouds and set fire to the rain
>>
>>27930085
What if your wizard has shitty dice throws?!
>>
High powered laser beams. Aint going faster than the speed of light.
>>
>>27930128
Don't give em any ideas
>>
File: IMG_20151120_063358.jpg (480 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_063358.jpg
480 KB, 1080x1080
>>27930085
Wizards yo
>>
>>27930191
Epic screencap, upvoted
>>
>>27930126
Get the bard to buff him
>>
>>27930104
That's actually... ok that might work if you could predict where they were going to fly, hitting a marble made of lead at that speed could tear through the entire plane, scramjet engines are really hard to destroy though
>>
>>27930128
Lasers are a meme, I'll just get a reflective coating and now 90 percent of that energy isnt being absorbed, also good luck keeping aim on something like that
>>
>>27930191
ebin
>>
File: 1429552372931.gif (2 MB, 366x239) Image search: [Google]
1429552372931.gif
2 MB, 366x239
>>27930191
thanks, i've been looking for this cap for years
>>
>>27930018
You can't make tight turns at those kinds of speeds.
>>
>>27930221
You idiot, the Bard's inspirational music only travels at the speed of sound!
>>
>>27930459
the wizard isnt traveling at the speed of light you dope.
>>
>>27930018
Railgun Canister Shells?
>>
>>27930478
Light speed wizards is the best all time name for a prog rock band. I will fight someone over this, with the hard part of a balled up hand even.
>>
>>27930191
We reddit now
>>
>>27930128
Navy also says that counter ascm lasers are a 2025+ project.
>>
>>27930191
>11/20 6:24

Are you from the future?
>>
>>27930191
Nice cap, mind if I save it?
>>
>>27930598
Worse, Australia.
>>
What's to stop us from making a scramjet based projectile in the 30mm - 80mm range? It's fired from a recoiless rifle setup which can easily get to mach speeds where the scramjet becomes effective. Kinda like a modern, more badass gyrojet. Obviously they would have unique ballistics but that can be accommodated.
>>
>>27930519
you mean a synth wave group.
>>
>>27930715
motherfucker, we gonna have a problem.

The band would obviously be synth heavy, but if you think there wouldn't be some Dio wanna-be screaming about the love of a dwarf maiden and twenty minute guitar solos, we are going to have to engage in some fisticuffs.

The band would get to their gigs in a hand me down 1997 Chrysler town & country with a sick mural painted over the windows obviously.
>>
>>27930018
>lead shot
>make many shots
>eventually hit something

Bonus points for having slow ammunition, let their speed do most of the work.

It's not like they can even think about turning at those speeds. : ^ )
>>
>>27930802
>Lazerhawk
>Miami Nights 1984
>Mega drive
>Crystal Bear!
>Moondragon
all synth wave. dont tell me Light-Speed Wizards doesnt fit right in.
>>
>>27930018
>Scramjets theoretically work up to mach 40, nearly twice the velocity needed to attain orbit, you'd need a fucking falcon 9 sized sam to get that kind of velocity and altitude! Inb4 "le antiaircraft lasers)
Missile of any size could theoretically achieve any speed. Just use these theoretical missiles agaisnt theoretical hypersonic planes.
>>
easy. you nuke their airports before they take off
>>
File: Shitposter goes full retard.jpg (180 KB, 1268x713) Image search: [Google]
Shitposter goes full retard.jpg
180 KB, 1268x713
>>27930191
upvoted
>>
>>27930848
It may be a versatile name, but it's only perfect for my hypothetical bad synth metal abomination with lyrics that read like a D&D campaign.

LIGHT-SPEED WIZARDS

Or possibly spelled with a bunch of Ys because faggots

LyTESPyyD WyZyRDS

Yeah, that's better.

Perfect
>>
>>27930226
I think the sudden stop at the end of the fall would destroy the engine. At those speeds, all you need is a hit anywhere. Air friction and buffeting will do the rest.
>>
>>27930925
now youre just being ridiculous.
>>
>>27930948
Nah, this will be great, there's an unserved market somewhere betweeen Dragonforce and Depeche Mode that is totally looking for some LyTESpyyD WyZyRDS
>>
>>27931011
Fuck off to /tg/ and make it happen.
>>
>>27930018
>>27930038
once shit gets going above mach 3 anything in their flight path will fuck them up. So you get a hyper sonic missile filled with ball bearings and you detonate it about a 1/2 mile a head of your object, you need 2-3 missiles to reliably fuck shit up but when something flies into a steel cloud at mach 4 it gets rekt.
>>
>>27930412
HOW DOES THAT EVER HAPPENS?
>>
>>27931124
Female driver.
>>
>>27931143
I know but fuck! Didn't even lift the foot from the pedal! I've seen people with more chromosomes than the entirety of a city drive better!
>>
>>27930848
a e s t h i c
>>
File: fuck that bitch.png (384 KB, 662x326) Image search: [Google]
fuck that bitch.png
384 KB, 662x326
>>27930018
That fucking Aurora bomber kept outpacing my lasers and eventually broke through laser perimeter I had built around the base. It was bullshit, they're fucking lasers, speed of light!
I don't care how fast your plane is, you can't outrun that. So I'm frantically rebuilding my lasers and having some defense defense shooting down the bombers but only after they drop their payload which apparently slows them down, makes no sense but whatever. The whole time I'm doing the math and realize that I'm losing the battle in a financial sense. It's costing me like 3 or 4 turrets plus a bulldozer sometimes for every bomber I shoot down. Finally the particle canons are up and I don't even target their airports or military or even their tech tree, I target their financial institutions. They get less resources dropped in and now it's a contest of endurance as I keep hitting them in their means to generate income and they keep soaking mine up by forcing me to rebuild. Finally, my strategy of sustainable losses wins out as they weren't able to keep pace building their planes.
Fuck that bitch and her hypersonic faster than light super planes.
>>
The faster the plane, the slower it turns, and the higher it has to fly.

IOW, the faster the plane, the easier to intercept it.

This is why the SR71 was finally put away. Radar and missiles improved enough for intercepts, and without stealth, it was a sitting duck.
>>
>>27930018
If you went 40 times the speed of sound you would need to vector your thrust straight to the Earth cause otherwise your be on an escape trajectory out of the fucking sun.
>>
>>27930226
I guess you could just use fire multiple rounds to cover a wide angle that it would be impossible for it to outmaneuver.
>>
>>27930018
You calculate or predict where it is going and shoot way ahead of it whit a flack type missile weapon.
>>
>>27931384
> laser general

Shittiest general by far. China got all the good ones

> Tanks go faster and hit harder, nuclear bombs everywhere General
Awesome
> Infantry equipped with goddamn miniguns that shred planes General
Fucking easy mode against the AI
> Tons of goddamn powerful tanks General
Tanks tanks tanks tanks tanks
>>
>>27931754
China has been Generous.
Also nuke general best general. Suicide battlemasters!

The American aircraft guy is pretty good (Comanche spam)

The GLA got the shit end of the stick imo
>>
>>27931785
> GLA generals are shit
Yes, but you can't help but like Dr. Thrax. He's just a huggable, loveable, cuddly dude. Who's covered in anthrax.
>>
File: GenThraxILLUS.png (109 KB, 1068x1060) Image search: [Google]
GenThraxILLUS.png
109 KB, 1068x1060
>>27931812
>MY TANKS ARE FULL
>>
>>27930018
You use lasers.

Because hypersonic planes are also future tech.
>>
The faster plane goes the harder it is to make a maneuver.
Not to mention high g's that pilot and a plane going to experience at very high speeds during even minor turns.
All of that narrows the predictable flight path.

|HAFC|
High Altitude Flak Charge
>>
>>27931754
I'd like to see the tank general beat the laser general, like ever.
>Laser turret with +range upgrade
>Tank general with no artillery
Look at the tank general, look at him and laugh.
>>
>>27930493
No, to slow out of the barrel even if it was fired right at it, would lose speed fast, and is innacurate. I doubt it could even reach the proper altitudes
>>
>>27931384
They just have to outpace your targetING not the beams
>>
>>27931466
You would need ALOT more metal than you think to fill that much sky
>>
>>27930699
Material costs, high temp shits expensive. Been done with 155 mm howitzer tho, they got a 500 mi range
>>
>>27930018
Tactical high energy la-
>inb4 "le antiaircraft lasers)

...well, okay then.

Railgun batteries with networked FCS and flak rounds.

The idea isn't that you shoot down the enemy but rather that you fill the air in front of him with so much shrapnel that they can't possibly evade all of it.

Railguns in particular would be most useful since they've got A) High muzzle velocity, B) Low costs per shot and C), Fire as fast as you Can charge the capacitors and put another round between the rails.
>>
>>27931512
Bs, by the time you detect it If it went low you have like half a second to respond
>>
>>27933196
I've always wanted to see if you can pick off satelites with railgun fired scramjets.
>>
>>27931384
superpower bitch is OP- fck against 5 of my mates ive managed to hold on long enough to build enough particle cannons and supply drops to basically cockblock every superweapon attempt and long range strikes- 3 hoours in and every 5 minutes or so someone dies.
>>
>>27930699
It has potential. Work up some numbers, and get back to me.
>>
>>27930925
First spelling is better. Move the hyphen one word to the right, though.

Light Speed-Wizards.

Throw a little Pratchett in there, spell Wizards with 2 z's.

Light Speed-Wizzards

Then say it's a new genre, for thinking people.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.