[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New thread, old one is almost gone. I was thinking about all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1297831932158.jpg (68 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1297831932158.jpg
68 KB, 500x371
New thread, old one is almost gone.

I was thinking about all those people who homemake shotguns from plumbing tubing.

Considering that

1) the highest proof pressure for the average shotgun would be 14,000 psi,

2) a 12gauge shotgun roughly translates to roughly 3/4 inch in diameter

3) Burst pressure should be considered as the applicable pressure with regards to shooting shotguns shells out of plumbing pipes

Is it safe to say that only double extra strong wrought steel pipe should be used for homemade shotguns?
>>
File: 71f3KEqf7QL._SY450_.jpg (22 KB, 416x450) Image search: [Google]
71f3KEqf7QL._SY450_.jpg
22 KB, 416x450
What are the long term effects of not tumbling my spent cases before reloading?

Is there a more cost efficient way of tumbling spent brass than buying a 70 dollar tumbler?
>>
>>27929720
throw a sackful with some media (inside the sealed sack) in the dryer. cool cycle, done.

those zippered pillow cases are the way to go for this.
>>
Speaking of shotgun barrels...

When a shotgun gets proofed, does the proofing only apply to the action area of the barrel (red area), or the whole barrel (red+blue area)

I ask because if I saw off one shotgun, can I use the sawed off to make a new shotgun?
>>
File: proofing.png (123 KB, 750x487) Image search: [Google]
proofing.png
123 KB, 750x487
>>27929749
>>27929749
forgot my pic
>>
>>27929738
Is that loud, or does the media do a good job job of masking the banging of brass on metal in the dryer?

And for how long would you reccommend this dryer cycle to go?
>>
>>27929738
Media like newpaper? Or should i pull up a news website on my phone and put that in with it?
>>
>>27929738
people using real tumblers in their garages get lead poisoning from the lead azide residue on brass, you're suggesting someone do the same thing in their dryer?

>>27929749
there is a pretty obvious taper in shotgun barrels, the chamber is much stronger than the rest of the barrel, you'd also need to cut a new chamber into your barrel stub further weakening it.
>>
>>27929872
Provide any actual reliable information supporting that tumbling gives you lead poisoning, short of huffing your tumbler fumes.
>>
>>27929872
Does your drier not vent outside, or do you not know how driers work.
>>
>>27929720
More time consuming but cheapest tier is epoxying a couch foot to the bottom of a peanut butter jar, and using a drill on the end of the screw spin the jar with a small amount of cleaning solution. If the lid starts coming loose reverse the drill. Works good with stainless steel media.
>>
>>27929935
there probably isn't any information you'd admit to being reliable about anything.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=301433

primers are made with lead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_styphnate
and vaporize when detonated, that goes into the air when you shoot, and sticks to your cases as dust. do what you want with that information, but don't recommend that others use laundry equipment to deal with it.
>>
>>27929720
Those tumblers are like $35 and work pretty well... I usually wet wash my deprimed brass then tumble the finished rounds to make the outside all shiny...
>>
>>27930040
Lead styphnate MSDS

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Respiratory protection not normally needed. If dusting occurs or fumes are generated
above the PEL/TLV, use a NIOSH-approved half-face or full-face respirator equipped
with High Efficiency Particulate (HEPA) filter cartridges.

>Respiratory protection not normally needed.
This is the recommendation for working with it at an Industrial level
>>
>>27930040
I was expecting something more than a bunch of strangers arguing their personal experiences.

I mean, is there even one documented case of lead poisoning due to reloading?
>>
>>27930130
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lead+poisoning+due+to+reloading

Literally the second link
>>
>>27930075
you are missing the point about it having combusted i believe.
>>
>>27930140
All I see is "A friend of a friend of mine said that he had dangerously high levels of lead in his house due to reloading."

What is dangerously high? And apparently, no one got poisoned.

Time to quote that link:

>We guys on this here Forum have no hard data. I don't mean opinion, or anectodal evidence. I mean hard quantitative data. We have none.

>For over a hundred years, decapping has never been considered a source of lead poisoning in this hobby. But this forum's membership has no hard data to prove that.

>As with everything else in reloading, you have to make your own reasonable and responsible choices in everything you do. Read your books and manuals for safety precautions, and follow them strictly. They are a more reliable source of information that all these online forums put together.
>>
>>27930173
I get this https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263883
>>
>>27930173
it's okay to be wrong, look around on craigslist, you can get a used dryer that hasn't been thoroughly contaminated by lead for under $50. then just get a new exhaust tube and a blood test and you should be fine.
>>
>>27930169
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/019204.pdf

Dust in the air would not likely propagate if you had a small pile of it would pop and produce a small flash, similar to flash powder. Unless you had a jar of open gunpowder nearby you would be fine.

It would not produce a dust fire if that is what you were implying.
>>
>>27930183
The initial post implies that the shooting cased the lead poisoning, not the reloading.
>>
>>27930225
are you following the thread? we are talking about what the residue on fired cases consists of, not random piles of chemicals.
>>
>>27930225
Or do you mean the absolutely minimal amount of residue left by the primer, the amount causing lead poisoning is 100 mg/m3
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.