[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do silencers or suppressors degrade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Do silencers or suppressors degrade?
>>
>>27928437
Yes, the soft baffles wear out and the lubrication fluid also needs to be replenished.

The baffle wear is not correctable; eventually, even with proper maintenance, the suppressor's performance will degrade.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>27928437

Over a very long time line they slowly fill with debris, reducing their internal volume and effectiveness. This is very very many rounds fired, and not being cleaned.

Older designs used wipes and filler material that did degrade fairly rapidly and were intended to be replaced.
>>
>>27928437
Yes but not like that. Full auto wears out the baffles quicker and .22 can gunk them up very bad if you dont clean them.
>>
>>27928446
>soft baffles
>>
>>27928448

Why is this /v/ you autistic faggot? It's a legitimate fucking question about weapons.
>>
>>27928464
>being this penis pinched over one fucking post

I guess its true what they say, about taking one to know one
>>
>>27928437
Of course duh. Even more so shooting normal ammo instead of sub-sonic.
>>
>>27928437
yes but nowhere near as fast as in mgs5
>>
>>27928437
>>27928459
Do soft baffles exist?

>>27928437
Should suppressors be treated like magazines? As consumables?
>>
>>27928437
Everything will, but if cleaned properly modern suppressors (all solid metal) will last a long time.

The actual degradation you might see in the field would be more apparent with extremely dirty ammo such as .22LR gunking it up and (as another poster has said) reducing the internal volume. If you're running it wet, it's worth noting that added suppression will wear out in about 30 shots (give or take 5), depending on the fluid used and volume of the suppressor.

Definitely would not occur at the rate you see in MGSV, that's more of a handicap to balance the weapons I presume.
>>
>>27928486
>Should suppressors be treated like magazines? As consumables?
At the rate they go for (civilians in the US), I sure hope not.
>>
>>27928486
You are retarded.

To the average end user? No. Will a magazine wear out at some point? A suppressor? Sure. For anyone, even anyone who shoots alot in the civilian world, excluding professional competition shooters--- that is a period of time measured in years for magazines, and even more years for suppressors

Its a little different comparing that to magazines in the military that have been kicking around since the 80's or before, seeing 100,000 cycles or more in that time.
>>
>>27928485
MGSV's suppressors make the gun whisper quiet like suppressors from movies. It's a suppressor from the Gods.
>>
>>27928509
>>27928502
I'm a total homo. Just fuck my shit up senpai.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
>>
>>27928514
>Implying the player doesn't deploy with subsonic ammo.
>>
>>27928514
They clacked pretty loudly in Ground Zeroes. Don't know why they decided to change the sound for Phantom Pain.
>>
File: 1388734252814.jpg (66 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
1388734252814.jpg
66 KB, 500x383
>>27928448
Nice fucking shit post you absolute piece of trash.
>>
>>27928437
everything degrades
>>
>>27928437
Older suppressors had disposable rubber wipes that deteriorated relatively quickly (perhaps not after 15 or 30 rounds as in MGSV). All-metal suppressors are relatively more recent.
>>
>>27929657
What about the noble gases?
>>
>>27928449
>they slowly fill with debris, reducing their internal volume and effectiveness

Eventually the spaces will fill up reducing effectiveness, but in the short term a bit of fouling on the baffles acts as a dampening medium, absorbing sounds and holding gels/moisture longer.

It's just a bitch to clean off the crud that builds up in a suppressor, especially Tula and 22lr carbon.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 1000x563
>"I won't scatter your sorrow the heartless sea, I will always be with you. Plant your roots in me."

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>27930079
The Jews did Gulf of Tonkin
>>
Would it be possible to weld 2-3 suppressors together and then weld that to the end of the barrel you attach to the receiver so it is similar to rifles with integrated suppressors?
>>
>>27930079
Jet fuel melts steel beams but Obama is keeping that a secret from us.
>>
>>27929977
>Eventually the spaces will fill up reducing effectiveness
This is the case for rimfire suppressors. Not so much for centerfire calibers, especially rifles.
>>
>>27928437
I degraded ur mum yesterday lel.
>>
>>27930079
9/11 never happened and you should buy a sebezna
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 1600x899
>>27932828
>>27930171
>>27930096
Fuck I knew it, they played us like a damn fiddle!!!!!
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.