[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /k/omrades, what do you think about coil guns or more commonly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: gauss-gun-P7140177.jpg (64 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
gauss-gun-P7140177.jpg
64 KB, 660x495
So /k/omrades, what do you think about coil guns or more commonly known as gauss rifles. Personally I think its a cool idea but would they ever be as effective as say a 9×19mm?
>>
When there's a better way to store large amounts of electricity they might become practical.
>>
With a coilgun you're not gonna' get the kind of rapid acceleration you need to make a good weapon.

Railguns have potential, but there's still a fair amount of kinks to work out with them before they become practical.
>>
>>27927321
Carbon nanotubes and graphene for energy storage and lightweight load. I think they could take a lightweight carbon nanotube bullet mixed with a non Newtonian fluid comprised of iron particles would shoot some serious shit.
>>
>>27927349
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

Think this would work?
>>
>>27927364
that doesnt generate much power, it just keeps generating power for a long time without upkeep
>>
>>27927364

end your life asap
>>
>>27927364
The wattage of those is too low, you could make something that would work with a capacitor to hold a charge, but the recharge time would be abysmal.
>>
They're currently in the very first stage of development, totally useless right now for small arms but I heard giant ones have potential for anti armor because of the insane velocity translating into penetrative power.
>>
>>27927371
Fair point.
>>
Guys, he did say as effective as 9x19. You could pretty much get that result pushing one magnet away with another
>>
>>27927358
don't be silly anon the non Newtonian fluid would cause the round to warp when its not being agitated destroying the ballistics of it
>>
>>27927349
How about one powered by 120 or 240 V outlet?
>>
File: say that to my face, stalker.jpg (19 KB, 367x376) Image search: [Google]
say that to my face, stalker.jpg
19 KB, 367x376
>>27927349
Can't you just use a small fission battery to power it? Assuming that we are already selling fission batteries
>>
Sorry can't fight today, it's raining and my electric gun won't work........
>>
>>27927409
Nope. It needs high burst-voltage to be effective. 240V isn't very much when talking coil guns.
>>
>>27927355
They are fundamentally the same you dumbass
>>
>>27928354
Or
>sorry guys battles canceled
>shot my rifle from the doorway
>eviscerated everythin in a 2 mile radius that's wet
>>
>>27927321
wait for the new graphene batteries
then we'll be in business
>>
>>27928384
Could you have 240v charge a bank of capacitors to fire every 3-5 seconds?
>>
>>27927409
If you use a transformer you could definitely do that
>>
>>27927371
i have been thinking a lot about this
what if is packed a truck full of car batteries and all that amp went into a railgun through a cable and i shot putin from 10 miles with aid of an on site spotter who gave me metrics on his ass and his upper body would suddenly disappear as a mach5 800 gr round tapped him?
>>
>>27930004
But Putin is the good guy.
>>
>>27927321
Funnily enough, as it stands, Gauss rifles are useless for small arms right now due to the limitations in man-portable power storage.

But vehicle-born (think battleships) coilguns have extreme capability, and in a tank they'd be useful as well because the projectiles would be much smaller and faster, thus meaning 100 shots would take up a LOT less space than how it does now- more room for a capacitor bank.
>>
>>27930010
i hate russians and manlets with a burning passion
>>
>>27930030
that's not the best part for tanks
1) no more explosives in tank
2) no more cook-offs, no more fires when hit
3) the rounds kinetic energy will turn everything to mush anyways
4) smaller rounds more of them
5) adjustable power for different targets
6) unbelievable range, with guided munitions
7) you can even hunt aircraft with main gun nothing is safe
>>
File: 1443301460237.png (445 KB, 528x516) Image search: [Google]
1443301460237.png
445 KB, 528x516
>>27930064
>7) you can even hunt aircraft with main gun nothing is safe
>>
>>27927321
in 12 years we'll get one on the market. They won't be practical for civilian shooters since they'll need special batteries that cost $350 a pop and are only good for 25 or so full charges. Otherwise the technology is all there for EM weaponry, all we need are power sources, and as of 2015 the battery tech just isnt there yet.
>>
>>27930178
yeah but civvies can build them in a garage
and you can put a lot of batteries in a backpack or on a backpack frame.
which is why banning guns is completely pointless. i could build a coilgun in like 3 hours.
the challenge would be making it cycle reliably.
>>
>>27930206
Civvies can build one in their garage, but not like the ones that'll be available commercially. Some specialized manufacturing and lots of testing goes a long way when it comes to emerging technologies. Garage EM guns will be able to injure people, but commercial ones will be able to poke nice big holes in them, and won't suffer the usual keyholing issues, water and environment sensitivity issues, and of course the problems associated with homemade ammunition. Also, they'll have specialized batteries and connectors that people in their garages will have issues replicating.
>>
>>27928384
They have 50kv stun guns from china for 20 bucks. 240v provides plenty, with the proper step up transformers.
>>
>>27927321
>as effective as 9x19
>acquire magnetic 9mm projectile
>put in coilgun
>fire

yeah it's perfectly possible but won't be practical until we get better batteries
>>
>>27928395
????
Not even close.

inb4 they both use magnets
>>
>>27927321
>Personally I think its a cool idea but would they ever be as effective as say a 9×19mm

You could do this with neodymium magnets, not even kidding.
>>
File: magnets-550x327.jpg (41 KB, 550x327) Image search: [Google]
magnets-550x327.jpg
41 KB, 550x327
>>27930956
Neodymium magnets are permanent.

You need alternating polarity to propel a projectile. It's the same idea behind an electric motor, but instead of driving a rotor, the stator coils drive a ferromagnetic projectile.

Unless you're talking about making the projectile out of neodymium, which in my opinion would be a waste of neodymium.

>this thread
>>
>>27931120
>what is a gauss gun

>this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPiduuwtDSM

You can get these to pretty stronk levels.
>>
>>27931120
Fuck that, I'll just use a monopolar magnet
>>
>>27931120
Neodymium magnets are permanent? Where can I get one?
>>
>>27932208
Rip them out of your headphones
>>
>>27930833
What makes you think 50,000v = 240v?
>>
>>27928354
>>27928491
Wtf are you on about
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.