[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I buy an M1A?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Socom.png (206 KB, 1200x306) Image search: [Google]
Socom.png
206 KB, 1200x306
I've been looking into buying my own firearm for a while now (19 and living in Maryland, fun guns are off limits and I'd have to have my father or my Brother-in-law buy any handgun to be transferred to me) and believe I have found a fit with the M1A SOCOM 16".

I feel like there is enough third party gear for me to make it a general purpose rifle, and of course I'd make a trip to PA for a C-Mag.

So, what do my fellow /k/ommandos think of this decision?
>>
>>27914641
Just buy a 21" loaded or national match.
>>
>>27914666
Problem: I'm 5' 4". Anything over 16" just feels uncomfortable for me.
>>
>>27914666
What Satan said, though I'd recommend the SCR for non free staters, accessories are cheaper and the .223 is more than enough for 99% of self defense situations.
>>
>>27914700
>manlets
>being allowed to own guns
Have you considered getting swole gains so you can hold a real mans rifle?
>>
>>27914641
.308 can get a bit spendy compared to .556/223 and this gun wont be as modular as an AR-15, but that rifle will genuinely be a do-all rifle. You can use it for hunting, self defense, long distance shooting, use your imagination, there won't be much this rifle can't do.
>>
>>27914758
>Implying that 7.62 NATO M1A is not real mans rifle.
>>
>>27914758
I have achieved swole gains but I can't lengthen my arms.
>>
>>27914809
Just kill yourself. Cleanse the gene pool of manlet genes
>>
If you buy an M1A get a used one from the time period they were using all USGI parts, or one that's been upgraded. Springfield's warranty is forever if you're worried about that. They're better guns than the new ones and worth more money to people in the know.

Not sold on the SOCOM. That's a short barrel for a big cartridge. I think they make an 18"

Also, NM guns are a pain to shoot unless you're doing target. Tiny tights and a bedded stock you don't want to fuck with for cleaning.
>>
>>27914823
Talk shit about manlets all you want.

You just make an easier target, given that would generally have a larger silhouette.
>>
>>27914791
>long distance shooting
No. Not even close.
>>
>>27914700

Why? That doesn't make sense, why is barrel length an issue?

That being said I think the short barrel is fine if you prefer it, just not sure why your height is the factor. I say do it.
>>
>>27914700

The original Mosin Nagant was about as long as the 5' tall Russian conscripts it was designed to be shot by. Man up faggot.
>>
>>27914860

NM guns?
>>
>>27914960

National Match
>>
>>27914904
the shorter 16' barrel will not effect accuracy, it will however effect velocity. the lower velocity will cause greater bullet drop, more wind drift, and will shorten the distance traveled before the bullet velocity drops into the trans-sonic range and causes the bullet to become unstable. I am aware of all of these things. However, the 16" .308 will have more than enough effective accurate range than most non competition shooters will use on a regular basis. With reasonable optics 700 yard shots with this rifle should be no big deal.
>>
>>27914927
Op has short arms. The longer the barrel the further out the center of gravity lies.since Op can only reach so far out the closer center of gravity caused by the shorter 16' barrel feels more natural and balances better, given his natural hand placement on the gun.
>>
>>27914991
The .308 is a fine round but the M1A is not a particularly accurate gun unless you put a decent amount of work into it. The only reason I can imagine for buying one is if you live in a shit state like OP.
>>
File: 1446685677871.jpg (3 KB, 125x97) Image search: [Google]
1446685677871.jpg
3 KB, 125x97
>>27914641
>I'd have to have my father or my Brother-in-law buy any handgun to be transferred to me)
>>
I was eyeballing the socom m1a myself.

are there any other 16" barrel .308 rifles out there?
>>
>>27914641
>I believe I have found a fit with the M1A SOCOM 16"
Until you spend $3000+ accurizing M1As are bad and 16" ones manage to somehow be even worse.
>I'd have to have my father or my Brother-in-law buy any handgun
Buy a black powder revolver from Cabelas in Newark. You can't keep it loaded or carry it uncased outside of your house / a range because Maryland regulates them as normal firearms.
>and of course I'd make a trip to PA for a C-Mag
for the lurkers: Maryland (and Colorado) ban transferring standard capacity magazines in the state, but you can still import them. Thus, you go 2 miles into PA and buy some new pmags.
>>
>>27915235
>Until you spend $3000+ accurizing M1As are bad and 16" ones manage to somehow be even worse.

An M14 was a 3-4 MOA gun by design. M1As usually shoot better than that. I'm guessing the OP isn't try to build a 1/4 MOA match rifle.
>>
>>27914641
It'll work. Sure the barrel length isnt optimal for .308, but if you arent trying to shoot at 900+ meters then you should be fine. It's not precise, but it can be accurate.
>>
>>27914641
>Maryland
Move up here to PA before you become hasguns
>>
File: image.png (51 KB, 726x290) Image search: [Google]
image.png
51 KB, 726x290
You can't legally buy an m1a, op.

It is banned by name, on the list.
>>
>>27915125
You gotta be 21 in some states to buy hand guns. No, I am not trolling.
>>
>>27915223
Most AR-10's, scar 17S, ruger gun scout rifle, dsa fal.
>>
>>27915922
Name a state where someone under 21 can buy a handgun from an FFL

You are describing an extraordinarily illegal straw purchase on the open internet
>>
>>27914641
In order to get a 16" barrel to work Springfield fucked with the gas system and the rails they add are stupidly heavy.

If you're set on an M1A get a scout squad.
>>
>>27916322

It's not illegal though

If the *person buying the gun* is over 21, and then gifts that to another party, that's perfectly legal assuming the person being given the gun is of sound mind and w/o a felony history
>>
>>27915907
OP here, this shit just ruined my day. Apparently I can still get a converted Garand that takes box mags though.
>>
>>27918579
Yeah, brought tears to a friend's eye a couple weeks ago when he was talking about an m1a.
>>
Well how do you speuce up a normal stock 21' M1A for it to be accurate then?
>>
My grandfather was 5'9", 130 pounds soaking wet and carried a Bar, man the fuck up
>>
>>27919502
Why didn't they give him a gun like anyone else?

>be your dad
>trudging through muddy korea
>gunfight pops off
>incoming mortars too
>jumps in a hole and holds up his bar
>why did they issue him a bar
>if only they had issued him a rifle
>>
>>27918960
Throw it away and get a better gun.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.