[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Really stupid question. I have a pistol permit I would like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: ColtPython4-1.jpg (67 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
ColtPython4-1.jpg
67 KB, 768x576
Really stupid question.

I have a pistol permit

I would like to buy a used revolver.

Do most gun stores have a "used" section? Do I use something like Gunbroker, and have them ship to my local firearms shop?

How the hell can I determine the quality of a used pistol from an online or in-person sale?

thanks!
>>
>>27902257
My store has a used section and consignment section.
You'll want to check the cylinder timing, bore, crane, and rifling. google the used revolver buyers guide infographic, it will show you how. Good choices are police trade ins, Worn finishes but great condition generally.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspksqvtO3k

most stores have used sections.
Some stores like pawn shops appreciate it when you do a transfer through them and give them the free transfer cash. actual gun stores that mark their weapons up to high hell get annoyed if you try and do a transfer through them instead of buying their over priced merchandise.

just my experience... but i have yet to find a good deal at a gunstore and only do online transfers nowdays. ofcourse, you are not able to put the gun in your hands ect. but this has been my experience
>>
>>27902257
In my experience there it not a dedicated used section
The just group the different types/brands
But you can easily ask to be shown used revolvers
>>
>>27902257
No way to tell what you're getting from an online seller.

The best place to pick up a good used revolver is a pawn shop. Big box retailers will have a used section, but in my experience you can get some real deals at pawn shops.

Here's how you check a revolver to see ir it's any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLsMU36Zx9k
>>
File: 1429123017404.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1429123017404.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>27902257
I want to be an LEO, and make detective at some point, but I don't know if I want to be a career LEO. I go back and forth a lot, part of me wants to but another part of me thinks ill get sick of it and want to retire early.
How bad of an idea would this be, what benefits would I still be given and what agency would be the best for this? Im really looking to go federal, but I don't know how to ask "if I quit after a while, what will I still get" without it coming off lame
>>
File: M&Prevolver.jpg (38 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
M&Prevolver.jpg
38 KB, 640x359
Any MA residents on here?
Im turning 21 soon and getting my permit, fortunately I live in one of the more gun friendly areas of MA so it wont be too hard,
Im looking to get my first gun and thinking of just a plain .38 because its affordable, simple and fun to plink with.
Bad idea or terrible idea?
>>
>>27902329
imo pick a career and stick with it. drop some bands on an education only if you have an end goal in mind. dont be impulsive / mickeymouse about what you want to do for the rest of your life. think about the decision for a good few months and stick to it.
currently getting my doctorate of pharmacy. made my choice when i was 15 after i knew enough about engineering and css to know i didnt want to do it.
>>
>>27902257
there almost always is. Maybe not a specific table that has USED above it because that might look cheap, but they'll have a little sign or something next to it then says used. Or you can just ask and they'll show you some
>>
>>27902358
its what ive wanted to do since I was 15, I honestly cant think of myself not at least trying. I just want to know what ill have if it doesn't work out in the end and how to ask without sounding like a quitter
>hi, youre here for the police exam
>yeah, just one question, if I quit what will I be entitled too?
>>
>>27902350
>.38
Shit. Revolver must be. 357
>>
>>27902380
dont accept failure or consider it a possibility. i know i sound like a lib, but if you seriously evaluate the choice for a long enough time, you should be able to come to a reasonable conclusion about you getting into that career field.
i feel most of the people who dont get to where they want to out of life are not actually restricted, rather not convicted enough. im sure realists will disagree
>>
>>27902274
dont forget the top strap for flame cutting
>>
>>27902400
also i dont know where op is but pawnshops are awesome. its all used and you can find some sweet stuff, i saw an l1a1 and a tec 9 one of the local ones just the other day.
>>
>>27902397
you do sound like a lib
>>27902358
theres nothing wrong with asking about potential worst case scenarios, so long as you have been accepted already or have the credentials to show youre not messing around. A 19 year old college sophomore with nothing to show for it asking about retirement packages looks worse then a 20 something with a degree and backround that looks worthwhile. Juts be polite about it, its not like LEO is a popular job at the moment, theyre going to take what they can
>>
>>27902350
my first ever gun was a .38
just don't get a snubnose
>>
>>27902350

MA guy here. .38 revolvers are great, although for plinking it's more expensive than 9mm or .22.

Don't put too much effort into vintage/antique revolvers in MA, though. Guns not on the approved lists carry price premiums compared to more common models in this state. I'd recommend a used Ruger .357.
>>
what exactly is the "shoulder thing that goes up"
theres a bunch of gun grabber terms Im too lazy to actually look up. I also don't know how the gun show loophole works/doesn't work
>>
>>27902595
huh. I figured an old model 10 would be cheaper and easiest to find
>>
>>27902668
If you stumble across one, maybe. But even in a free state old S&Ws are getting expensive. Like $400 plus in gun stores.
>>
>>27903467
I really wanted an old smith and Wesson or colt because of the history as my first. I figured Id get a glock or something later. it sounds lame but I wanted my first purchase to be special
>>
>>27902277
My preferred FFL is a guy that does transfers for $10 out of a storage unit.
>>
>>27904579
thats fucking awsome, local ffl's suck
>>
File: 1423620363443.jpg (40 KB, 1193x715) Image search: [Google]
1423620363443.jpg
40 KB, 1193x715
>>27902257
CAfags, whats your favorite cc gun and guns in general ?
Im moving there soon and want to know what I have to.....sell
>>
File: 633992267749087500suzakrsf[1].jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
633992267749087500suzakrsf[1].jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>27904492

How about a Ruger Security/Speed Six? They're old, have some history, and they're not collectibles yet.
>>
>>27905717
don't sell anything that isn't an "assault weapon"

keep all your pistols without threaded barrels

keep all your ar/ak's, just temporarily affix the "bullet button"

deny any existence of a magazine over 10 rounds

we love all guns, our government not so much
>>
>>27902257

Wtf is a pistol permit?

Are you in a liberal state/city?

Or did you just mean ccw permit.
>>
>>27902312
Thank you, based anon.
>>
>>27902600
Admitting that you are lazy usually doesn't lead to you getting spoon fed.

I will, however, tell you that the alleged gun show loophole is a lie of omission.

The fact is that in most states, a gun show is not required to force PRIVATE sellers to run NICS on purchasers.

ALL FFL SELLERS, ALWAYS run NICS because they must do so. At a gun show, there may be any number of private sellers but there are almost always several FFL dealers.

Therefore, the majority of firearms transactions at gun shows do, in fact, involve the FBI background check, but, in some states, it is possible to find a private seller who will sell you a gun without one at a gun show.

One other note, most felons or other prohibited persons whom purchase a firearm, do so from what are technically private sellers, most of whom are also felons but sometimes are innocent civilians, in locations far far away from gun shows.

The most common transaction is from one criminal to another, but very rarely, a prohibited person will try online or newspaper classified ads and attempt to ensure that the seller doesn't try to go through a FFL. This classified ad option incurrs considerable risk, so most felons prefer to buy from other criminals because both of them cannot afford law enforcement involvement.

I will not spoon feed you the backstory on the shoulder thing that goes up. Lurk moar, or find the info the hard way, through research.
>>
>>27902350
>Im looking to get my first gun and thinking of just a plain .38 because its affordable...

.38 runs around $15 a box, while you can get 9x19 for around $9-10. May not sound like a big deal, but it adds up quick.
>>
>>27906255
maybe, idk
I just really wanted a smith and Wesson model 10 or 15. How much cheaper are rugers? and how expensive is .38 compared to 9mm
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.