[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't hunting camo ever come up in discussions about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12
File: Screenshot_2015-11-16-06-44-38.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-16-06-44-38.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Why doesn't hunting camo ever come up in discussions about camo in a tactical setting? There's a hunting camo for literally every environment in the US that has been tried and true. So why wouldn't it be a go to choice for a SHTF muh zombies sand people's trying to take over scenario or what have you. Let us discuss like gentlemen
>>
>>27899621

1. Milsurp is usually cheaper

2. People want to adult-male cosplay as milfags not as tryhard hunterfags

Beyond those two things, you're right it's probably a more effective camo.
>>
>>27899621
Because it is good for very specific environments. If the majority of your time is spent in mossy oak forests in an eternal autumn, then sure, feel free to Mossy Oak yourself up senpai
>>
>>27899635
It depends on what you're getting. Academy brand Camo shirts are only like 8 to 13 bucks depending on style and they last a good year or 2 for me at least. Just depends on what you want and what you're looking for.

But I completely agree with the cos play thing. I'm not saying I'm against it tho. Just that people need to realize that the "coolest" camo is rarely the most effective camo
>>
>>27899636
I'm not saying mossy oak specificly. I clearly stated the fact that there is a proven hunting camo for every environment in the US. Which would probably be better for that specific environment
>>
>>27899721
Cosplayers want to look like military. They sometimes believe combat will range far and wide across the country when the time comes for SHTF. One day they're in Alabama, the next, they're in Nevada after a HALO drop, that sort of thing.

In a discussion like that, multicam is not only a good all-around, it's also the coolest looking, which is the one true metric by which all camouflage is judged.

But in that is a very important (but not the most important) metric. "All-around." In their scenario, after HALO'ing in to Montana and completing the objective, they might have to go rappelling (same day) from a helicopter in Nebraska, you won't want to have to stop and change clothes to match the environment. You will want something that works in both climates, and looks cool.
>>
>>27899721
Try again in non-retardese. I would prefer English but it is not required
>>
>>27899782
Wow you're cool.
>>
>>27899803
>wow I cannot articulate a question
>>
>>27899621
>>27899635
Because most of the autists who use this board would be to scared to be called fudds, and as the other anon said they're wannabe milfags.
>>
>>27899770
Hahaha damn almost made me spit some beer out.

But yeah that's a pretty accurate description I'd say
>>
>>27899821
I didn't ask a question.
>>
File: image.jpg (315 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315 KB, 880x660
>>27899721
Many hunting patterns are to specific to the environment. They're designed for people who need a pattern that blends in with their specific hunting plot. Not people who go out on a patrol that takes them from a deciduous forest to a swamp in two hours of walking.

Where I live, depending on the season, hunting camo will not work in two places that are within two miles of each other. But something like OD green or M81 woodland would be suitable. And both those options are cheaper than hunting camo.

I wear a real tree jacket like the brown one in pic related during the winter. That's about the only time I prefer hunting camo.
>>
>>27899830
True. They'll take tacticool over practical 10 times out of 10
>>
hunting camo hides you from animals

military camo hides you from humans
>>
>>27899621
I don't know, I don't hunt right now so I just have dark grey and coyote for all of my "tactical" gear, most of which are just clothes I wear for innawoods in colder weather.
>>
File: dressinglikeanormie.jpg (20 KB, 418x496) Image search: [Google]
dressinglikeanormie.jpg
20 KB, 418x496
>>27902412

Not necessarily.

Doesn't really matter, though.

Here's the best Camouflage for the western world!
>>
>>27902412
>I've never been hunting or in an outdoors activity with camo actually in use
>>
Hunting camo tries to make you look like a tree, like a bush, like a certain grass. It only works well with those plants. Military camos or camos that are patterns more than a picture work by breaking up your outline. You don't look like a tree.
>>
>>27899621
http://www.hyperstealth.com/coyote/

Lots of good info about camo effectiveness here.

>tldr real tree is great when not moving
>>
File: RealTree.jpg (2 MB, 2832x4256) Image search: [Google]
RealTree.jpg
2 MB, 2832x4256
>>27899621
>>
File: Mossy Oak.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mossy Oak.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>27899621
Because its only good in one enviorment usually only for one season. That being said if you plan on sticking around an area and you don't have that many seasonal changes hunting camo will always be superior to military multi purpose camo
>>
File: 91a1 in middle east.jpg (65 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
91a1 in middle east.jpg
65 KB, 528x960
>>27899621
It's a pretty shit camo, I always see everybody walking around with mossy oak. And on top of all that, it's disgusting and only worn almost strictly by white trash or fudd's.
>>
>>27904393
It's perfectly fine for hunting when the camo matches the area and terrain.
>only strictly worn by white trash or fudds
It's worn by hunters too though. That's its purpose, just because some people wear it casually (because they like it or they paid money for it so why not wear it whenever they want to?)

A lot of hunting camo is really comfortable to boot.

Mall ninjas wearing milsurp camo is just as prominent and cringey.
>>27904292
This.

Mil camo is fine and preferable in a lot of terrain but especially in North America hunting camo can be superior year round.
>>
>>27899621
Because hunting camo only works well if you are completely still. Once moving even at a slow pace you are viable as fuck. The generic camo used by militaries etc don't work as well but still work if you are moving. They aren't meant to hide you completely just make it harder for you to be seen.
>>
>>27905332
>viable
Visable
>>
File: 57467545.png (450 KB, 1179x1540) Image search: [Google]
57467545.png
450 KB, 1179x1540
>>27899621

Like these people mentioned:
>>27899636
>>27899770
>>27899878
>>27904292
the dude in pic related said that it limits options for terrain concealment.

>>27902547
I'd shoot him.
>>
>>27905371
Damn I'm mad I missed that thread.
>>
>>27899621
>Why doesn't hunting camo ever come up in discussions about camo in a tactical setting

because camo BDUs are obsolete
no matter how good the pattern is it never breaks up your silhouette like a ghillie/camo suit does
you know that tactical chef's hate the idf uses that looks fucking rediculous?
that's camo
the more flappy and saggy and rediculous the suit is the better it breaks your silhouette

so this is why camo BDUs are obsolete
choose a solid colour for your BDUs depending on your enviorment, ghillie/camo suit on top
>>
>>27899884
look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp! the clothes make the man, didnt you know?
>>
Is hunting camo pretty much designed to be kept in a ziploc full of dirt and used twice a year? It usually fades super bad and ends up washed out and white/tan colored. As evidenced by the fudds wearing it erryday all around my hick Walmart. I've never had that problem with the woodland bdu set I have
>>
File: 1355367319521.jpg (394 KB, 1384x784) Image search: [Google]
1355367319521.jpg
394 KB, 1384x784
>>27905371
I was going to write up a huge post about it, but gladly someone had this screenshot. I was in that thread, it was pretty great.

Basically, we go for more general patterns because even if Mossy Oak and Realtree are really great for sitting with your back to trees for a while, and may be good for snipers with some work, maybe. However, jokes about "too operator for one state" aside, there can be tons of color variation within one area of operations anyways. It's better to find a middle ground.

Basically, camouflage is always more about breaking your silhouette and making you not easily identifiably human. Popping your collar, moving differently, choice of terrain, etc., just as that post says. It's of note most advanced camo research involved things you'd never expect, such as hot pink in the desert. At a certain distance, the human eye just blended it together because of how the rods and cones picked the colors up.

Often, OD Green or a gray uniform can be just as effective as anything else. It's more about being generally appropriate for the area and adjusting with movement, mud, dirt, leaves, and training, rather than having 1000% the camo that blends the best in this specific spot of the area.
>>
File: 541.gif (1 MB, 200x152) Image search: [Google]
541.gif
1 MB, 200x152
>>27907916
>camouflage uniforms are obsolete because ghillie suits provide better camouflage
Do you know how stupid this sounds? That's like saying 5.56 is obsolete because .50 BMG is more powerful. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to issue infantrymen a ghillie suit for raids or clearing a building. They're unwieldy as shit and heat up like furnaces.

>choose a solid colour for your BDUs depending on your enviorment, ghillie/camo suit on top
Why the fuck would you not just opt for a camouflage pattern if you're going to be identified as a combatant anyway? Patterns are demonstrably more effective for breaking up the shape of the wearer and they come in variants that match all manor of environments. There is no fucking reason it would make better sense to wear a flat green uniform as opposed to a woodland uniform in a forest.
>>
>>27908016
The fading probably has something to do with the materials they are made with. BDUs are printed on a durable NY/CO blend whereas most hunting outfits seem to be manufactured for comfort or warmth. They probably just don't hold dye as well.
>>
>>27899621
>why doesn't it come up
It does.
Every. Time.
>>
Wearing camo for any animal besides turkey is pointless. Hunting as an industry has more snake oil bs than almsot any other"sport"
>>
File: camo_029_1_[1].jpg (157 KB, 532x800) Image search: [Google]
camo_029_1_[1].jpg
157 KB, 532x800
>>27910745
Almost as good as UCP.
>>
>>27908016
Only the cheapest of the shitty camo T shirts and jeans sold by places like walmart fade.

I have hand me down hunting camo from both my grandfather and father that havent faded, and theyve been washed thousands of times.

Meanwhile the BDUs I was issued in 2003 are faded as fuck because I had to starch and press them erryday.
>>
>>27910745
What about ducks/geese, coyotes, squirrels, bears, and all manner of other game animals and varmints that have good color vision?
>>
File: US Army ACU.jpg (79 KB, 640x451) Image search: [Google]
US Army ACU.jpg
79 KB, 640x451
Aaaaaaaarrrrmy Camo, Sir!

only cost 8 Million Dollars to develop
>>
File: US Army ASU multiple others.jpg (455 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
US Army ASU multiple others.jpg
455 KB, 1400x933
Can't even See the USA advisor...
>>
>>27913006
guys on the right have the old finnish camo
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.