[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining the FBI, CIA, or ATF maybe Game Warden with a polysci degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
how do yall think a political science degree would do? I have half of it done and then switched to mechanical engineering because my father wanted me to do that. Now im in limbo and I honestly dont think I will be happy with engineering, not that im doing bad but its... idk not what I thought it would be. What I orignally wanted to do was work for the fbi , cia or atf and try to be a field agent, but before I wanted to go into the military. Any suggestions? Any opinions on any of this? What branch of the military should I join? How hard is it to be a special agent with the fbi or cia or atf? Is a political science degree okay for this?
>>
>>27787607
>field agent
very broad term. narrow it down to a specialization and then pick what trades you do in the armed forces.
>>
File: _20151103_225711.jpg (64 KB, 640x701) Image search: [Google]
_20151103_225711.jpg
64 KB, 640x701
>>27787607

>ATF
>>
>>27787607
if you expect me to read all that line of fucking text

Surely a government agency would take some dumb anime poster that doesn't have a fucking clue on what to do or even know what indentations are.

Fuck off with your lazy questions and think for yourself you underage faggot
>>
>>27787629
I just want to do something where I wont be stuck in a shitty office most of the day. What would the recommendations be to not be stuck in an office behind a computer?
>>
>>27787687
Im just looking for opinions on if anyone has done anything similar or know anything about it,you stupid fat kek.
>>
>>27787607
Don't join the ATF. They are evil. I am not exaggerating.
>>
>>27787737
why are they evil? Please explain, I havent heard anything like that before.
>>
>>27787746

>What is Waco?
>What is Ruby Ridge?
>>
>>27787690
CIA OPFOR Commandos
>>
>>27787746
plz dont shoot muh dawg
>>
>>27787607
If this is your level of literacy, you have little business going into intelligence which critical thinking and writing and writing and even collection officers need to be both clever and good writers.

>FBI

go to fbijobs and take a look at the assorted internship and job requirements. While they traditionally go for CJ and law enforcement backgrounds, cyber is the hip new thing

>CIA

take a look the CIA website info about their internships and careers; typically they want 3.0+ GPAs. They traditionally recruit from liberal arts like political science and languages, though trends are somewhat shifting

>IC in general

They are looking for several things:
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Sustained record of academic excellence
Foreign language skills

Additionally:
A hard science background, though that depends on the specific agency
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
I'm not convinced this isnt bait
>>
>>27787607
Go CIA, if only so that you can one day post on /tv/

"Dr. Pavel, I'm CIA" with a picture of a badge

Then the board will go nuts and it will be fantastic
>>
>>27787831
Different Anon. Is a MIS degree and a GPA around a 3.7 worth anything to the FBI, in terms of hitting the cyber element?
>>
>>27788202
Yes. Just be patient because any of these positions gets a lot of applicants. If you can read some intel-specific literature, that can help make your resume pop with details that concretely link you to the field. Also, be very careful in reading the job description. Typically, the first sorting that will happen will be an automated process to look for certain keywords; reading carefully can help you hit the right ones.

Also, everyone wants cyber.
>>
The FBI will want forgien language skills or some other cool specialized thing. Arabic is probably still big and Chinese would be notable, of at least it was when I went looking into it a few years ago.
>>
>>27788727
That is their unicorn candidate. Don't let that sort of thing put you off unless those language skills are the entire point of the particular job
>>
>>27788727
>>27788747
One good way of getting this is Rosetta stone. Not even kidding. You DO however, have to be tested out for this like the Military does and it is something of an extensive testing process where if you're chosen as a possible candidate, they will pretty much go over everything you know. But if you know basic language, every day conversation, military terms and lngo and can recall it decently, you can get a pretty set offer, but part of this is you're unofficially expected to learn new languages as well as keeping your ability to be fluent in those you've learned.

Thus Rosetta Stone.

Good languages are Chinese, Japanese, French, German, Russian and definitely Arabic, Spanish I guess is desired but the languages covered pretty well are the majority of what you would be best off with, Spanish is very much desired with CIA though since they do, do work in Mexico and south america, same with Arabic. These are the basics but you've pretty much made yourself able to speak to 80% of the population at this point, able to speak the languages in pretty much all the areas the CIA works in.

And the more you know and are able to test out of, your desirability as a candidate grows exponentially.
>>
Would an International Relations degree with a history and political science minor give me a better chance of being either a military or counter terrorism analyst in the CIA? Assuming of course great academic marks across the board.
>>
lmao, daddy tells you what to do when you are an adult. You will never have an authoritative job, have fun flipping burgers
>>
>>27791049
Googles Duolingo is free
>>
>>27791189
Nope.
>>
>>27787607
Should have gotten a criminal justice degree. Get into law enforcement on any level if you get kicked back as a candidate. Everyone wants to be a special agent, so you need to look better than other candidates. Having previous law enforcement or military experience with a related bachelor's or master's is the best way to go.
>>
>>27787607
Go for Postal Inspector. They're pretty well regarded by the courts system unlike US Marshal, ATF and other alphabet orgs.

If you're going for game warden, just don't be "that guy".
>>
File: 1443140141340.jpg (109 KB, 467x500) Image search: [Google]
1443140141340.jpg
109 KB, 467x500
>>27787607
>employer does a enchanced background check because muh gov job
>internet usage history
>4chan.org

Good fucking luck Op, you wouldn't get security clearance to run a guard post, much less be a "field agent".
>>
>>27791317
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>27787607
polysci are very common in those fields. my recommendation would be to go ROTC maybe then get out and go through border patrol
>border patrol largest fed law enforcement
>does most hiring
>easier to switch fed law branches than being hired directly into FBI/CIA/ATF

but if you really wanted to do good things in those youd think about IT or computer engineering or finance. that's what every federal branch (army, all law enforcement) want right now - especially IT
>>
>>27791395

Kek, implying there aren't plenty of .gov posting here right now

>implying I'm not one of them
>>
>>27791395

You're stupid.
>>
>>27787687
/thread
>>
>>27787746
as far as polcing goes, most people think the DEA and the ATF as the most useless/ corrupt. Nobody complains about the marshalls or hell even the FBI as much. people like guns and people like drugs, so at face value those guys are the "fun police" trying to take those away. Of course, theres a lot more to it then that, but again face value.
>>
>>27787607
having a college education is going to to give you a push, somewhat. Certain fields are going to look better but it shows youre educated and disciplined to a degree.
Ii had a CJ professor who was a state trooper who said he went to school for accounting, the police hired him for that and after 2 years he could move around in the department.
>>
is accounting a good major for fbi and cia?
>>
>>27791049
Senpai, to get 2+ on their testing, you need to be at the level of reading academic papers in your target language. That probably won't happen if you aren't a native speaker. But, having a working knowledge is useful.

>Spanish
>not important for FBI
What is the drug trade for $200, Alex

>German
>relevant
Look at the strategic languages on the CIA, DIA, etc websites. German ain't all that important anymore. French is more useful.

You also forgot Korean and Farsi.

With all this being said, any foreign language is good. Just keep in mind that some are more useful or needed than others and they are more interested in native speakers than secondary speakers in several cases

>>27791354
Nowadays, it is more diverse from what I've heard. To stick out from the crowd of CJ or LE guys, you really need to be as high in your department as possible and being a part of things like the SWAT team

>>27792722
Senpai, a college degree is all but necessary for quite a few intelligence community jobs, even though I would agree that you need the proper personal qualities (integrity, work ethic, etc) as well.

>>27795602
Yes, FININT is a thing.
>>
>>27791189
Don't listen to the trolls. An IR degree is a great resume builder for the IC. If you're still in school, seek out a professor who worked in the field (or former military/state department/etc) and ask them about the life. Get in close with them, before you graduate ask them for a letter of recommendation. If they have contacts who are still active in the field, ask for their info and schedule a meeting over coffee just so they know your name. Networking is important, same as any career field. Look for internship opportunities, even if you're just a paperwork shuffler.
In the meantime, learn a second language, all federal agencies want multilingual applicants.

That being said, take your studies to heart. Learn as much as you can, even outside of class. Go above and beyond when doing assignments and papers. Don't be that person who waits till the day before to write a half assed term paper. Graduate with honors.
And learn geography. One time in class my teacher gave us a basic quiz on the Middle East just for fun. It was a blank map, professor would point to a country and ask somebody to name it. One chick had no idea where Saudi Arabia was, and she wanted to apply for the State Department after graduation.

>sincerely, a fellow IR major
>>
>>27787607
Polysci might be worthwhile to CIA if you bring some other assets to the table.

FBI; you're probably better off with a criminal justice degree
ATF; no fucking clue, honestly.
Game Warden; NC only requires a high school diploma, but they recommend a criminal justice degree. Your state may vary. To join the US fish and wildlife service you need a criminal justice degree or a degree in wildlife management.
>>
>>27791395
>internet usage history
>4chan.org
I'm actually worried this is why I always wind up being "randomly" selected for enhanced search on my return flights anytime I go on vacation.
>>
>>27787607
>Get your polysci degree or criminal whatever
>depending on physical limitations join Air Force or army, become officer, Air Force is easier
>join to be an mp
>either regular mp or become a canine handler
I've always wanted to be a canine handler (31k) but not an mp, hopefully my application for forest ranger goes thru. If you do mp, mp canine, or regular canine you will most likely get a job working in the field for law enforcement.
>>
Be a Game warden, you'll actually be doing good
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.