[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Police Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: police_officers.jpg (39 KB, 512x355) Image search: [Google]
police_officers.jpg
39 KB, 512x355
How can someone without a criminal justice or law enforcement degree or military experience compete in order to become a police officer?

Fucking vets or some guy with a bachelor in CJ are killing me.
>>
>>27779030
Right now most Federal Agencies want one of the following, or a combination:
-Law Degree
-Criminal Justice Degree, with minor in either computer security, languages, or both.
-Accounting degree, beneficial to have minor in computer security or a basic computer security certificate

Local LEAs vary vastly from not only state to state but also county to county. Find one that uses a Civil Service exam, score well, be prepared for the physical, and wait on a list.

What area of the country are you from, OP?
>>
>>27779063
Midwest
>>
>>27779063
Should also add that:
Most Federal Agencies -love- military background, particularly officers, and particularly former SOF (You will go FAR if you were in SOF)

However, most state/county agencies are starting to shy away from veterans, particularly infantry/mp veterans. The mindset that was drilled into your head as infantry/MP is vastly different from how Law Enforcement is supposed to operate, so they've been trying to get away from them aside from SWAT/ESU/SRT/SOG teams. But even then, those teams are now shying away as well.
>>
>>27779078
What is your educational background like?
>>
>>27779109
None, just been working a small time job at the moment and I'd like to pursue law enforcement.
>>
>>27779216
Consider taking CJ courses at a community college. Most of the professors will be retired LEOs from the local area who will be able to tell you the pros and cons of working in the area. Additionally, CJ courses make Academy academics redundant so you'll have a significantly easier time. Most places nowadays have college requirements, generally a minimum of 60 credits, but some state agencies require a bachelor's. All federals require a bachelor's.

Small towns that hire off a Chief's Test (A test given that is not civil service standardized) already know who they're hiring before they hire. And if you're having a hard time getting in, you probably don't have the connections to make that work in your favor. Look for a town/county hiring off a civil service exam. They're usually offered once or twice a year, and are good for ALL civil service jobs in the state. It's also a great equalizer, because there is absolutely minimal digression by the hiring town/county, aside from maybe residency preference.
>>
>>27779247
Cool, thanks.

Might as well call this a Law Enforcement General, if anyone else has any questions feel free.
>>
>>27779319
tfw too disabled to work and too broke to do shit besides lounge around the house
>>
>>27779366
What's your disability?
>>
>>27779380
pile of scars, PTSD, hearing loss, orthopedic, recently discovered degenerative disc disease, allergies (of all things)

also can't learn things/study/read because of repeated blasts to the head
>>
>>27779319
I'll do my best to answer.

Preemptively:
The most important CJ courses to take are:
CJ 101, or Introduction to CJ
Police Administration
Issues in Policing
--The name for this one varies from school to school and even semester to semester, ask the academic advisor. The course will require you to complete NIMS-700 and ICS 100 and potentially 200, which qualifies you GREATLY over your competition. Especially if you can get 200. When I took it, it was broad class called "Topics in Criminal Justice", which eventually focused in on Domestic Violence, also getting me FLETC certifications for DV. Do your absolute best to get the course that does NIMS 700 and ICS 100, while you can take both online for free at Fema.gov, you're better off having it in the classroom, ESPECIALLY if 200 is offered.

Best places to consider -starting- your career are the big cities. They tend to hire often, and they are to my knowledge, all a form of civil service test, meaning they hire strictly off of test scores (Residency preference and veteran preference yield about 5pts additional on most tests).

This one comes up every LEO thread..No, federal agencies will under no circumstances waive the bachelor's degree requirement for you, you could be a tier-1 Delta Operator with 16 tours and 180 confirmed sniper kills, they don't give a shit, you need a bachelor's. The CIA, however, will waive it on case-by-case bases. You do not qualify for those bases, so don't bother getting your hopes up.

Yes, consider a military background. Guard or Active MP or Intelligence. If you go MP, do your absolute best to get into CID. If you go Intelligence, try and specialize in either HUMINT or SIGINT. Don't be a generic analyst if you have a chance to specialize.
>>
>>27779396
this guy saying to go MP indicates he is full of shit. pay attention to him at your own peril, all readers
>>
>>27779426

Not him but in MN you need to either have a LE Degree, be an MP, or already LE somewhere else in order to be police. Depends on the state/agency.
>>
>>27779426
MP strictly for CID, going MP otherwise does basically fuck your chances later on, because same as infantry, the mindset is far too different from LEO procedures.

I mentioned that
>>27779096
Here.
>>
>>27779216
>>27779247

Honestly, everyone who he will apply against will have a CJ degree. Its actually fairly useless since they teach you the same thing in the academy. You want a degree that will set you apart, such as English or Psych. Also, a CJ degree is job specific. If for some reason you get injured on the job, or cant get a job.. youre fucked.

I ended up getting a duel bachelors degree. one in psych, one in CJ. When I went to apply to a dept during a group interview it was revealed that the other 5 people I was up against were pursuing their masters (As am I).

Education is good.. education with Military is better. Maybe think about going AFSF reserves and go to school once you get out of tech school
>>
>>27779396
>The CIA, however, will waive it on case-by-case bases. You do not qualify for those bases, so don't bother getting your hopes up.

Case by case BASIS, you fucking mong.
>>
>>27779030

If you have no military experience or education you should just join the New Orleans Police Department, they're at 25-30% manpower shortage and are taking anyone with a pulse and no criminal record.
>>
>>27779804
>New Orleans
>thinking half their force doesn't probably have a criminal record
>>
>>27779806

I meant felonies but yeah.
>Dangerous as fuck
>Low pay
>New Orleans
>>
>>27779030
Washington state has tons of vacancies. I saw on the news the State Patrol here has about a hundred vacancies they are having a hard time filling. The local PD in my town has had 15 vacancies for years they can't fill. Consider moving, getting experince under your belt and reapplying back home.
>>
File: Untitled.png (373 KB, 570x345) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
373 KB, 570x345
>>27779030
They seem to hire pissy little manlets with Napoleon complexes. Are you one of those? Racism would probably be a plus too.
>>
>>27782031
Didn't the justice department take over WA police because they kept shooting unarmed Indians and Negroes and such?
>>
File: 1446227948590.gif (2 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1446227948590.gif
2 MB, 260x260
>>27779030
ok, OP let me be straight up with you, right now you can get a LEO job, because many departments are in desperate need for men and women to fill their ranks. Mind you your first job will be utter shit, I started out at 18 in the jail which was one of Georgia's worst, then I worked my ass off for 4 years until I could be a road deputy. You will have to be willing to either relocate or get an education, your best chance is to get hired on and let them pay for your relocation and start your education and pay your dues at a department.
>>
>>27782049
>Napoleon complex may may
Mantlet here, I'll kick your ass.
>>
>Tfw waiting until I can get eye surgery to apply
>Tfw thousands of dollars and may not still meet standard
>>
>>27779030
>>27782138
cont.
Many PD's need recruits and if your of sound mind and body and able to perform your job, you will get hired but keep in mind that it might take a while or it might be fast depending on how much of a anal check (my departments slang for background check) that they do. I was lucky getting my jailer position because it happened to be my counties biggest recruiting push ever with 178 officers hired in 2 days and 173 sworn in after POST academy.
www policeone com/ police-careers/ also this link might help you
>>
>>27782181
the department you are applying for must not be hurting like alot of them are.
>>
>>27782203
This is in Canada, I'm sure the situation is a bit different.
I'm quite far-sighted unfortunately
>>
>>27782231
aww shit, that explains alot! You guys do not really have local departments like we have.
>>
If your going to take classes, you might toss in another language.

>>27779756
>Its actually fairly useless since they teach you the same thing in the academy.

It effectively prescreens anyone too dumb to get a CJ degree this way, saving money on training failures, no?

>>27779396
>>27779063
Real talk. Take two agencies. One is on World Star Hip hop each week. The other is Mayberry. Which one is going to be easier to land a job in?

>>27779804
Question: What are the bottom say 5 places/agencies to work for in the country and why? Separate prison work if it makes sense to.
>>
>>27779030
Easy. Cronyism will get you right through the door, so get personally buddy-buddy with a cop.
>>
>>27782253
It depends. All the big (and some smaller cities and municipalities) cities have municipal PDs, Ontario and Quebec (and Newfoundland to a more limited extent) have provincial police, and here in Alberta we have Sheriffs who are like highway patrol/courthouse security and prisoner transfer.
Otherwise the RCMP is the federal police, provincial/territorial police in most places, and local police in most small towns.
I'm going for municipal in my city primarily, RCMP a shit: they can post you anywhere in the country and you have little say where, and the pay is less.
>>
>>27782287
hey man, I would even apply for the RCMP, got t o keep them choices open man.
>>
File: 1446107461753.jpg (184 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446107461753.jpg
184 KB, 900x1000
Ok. I got a question.

So last year I applied for a large sheriff's department and recently got my official rejection letter on the grounds of "counter measures" on my polygraph test. I think I'm ready to apply to another department now, but I need to prep myself for the next inevitable "crystal ball" test. Any advice? Are they going to contact the last agency to make sure my stories match up?
>>
>>27779030
What's more valued in Federal Law Enforcement? Administration of Justice Degree or Criminal Justice degree?
And another question: I'm looking to go to Germany for school, would it be a waste to go there just to come back to America?
>>
>>27782366
Yeah I've not entirely ruled them out, but would much prefer something else.
I don't want to live in Buttfuck, Saskatchewan population 137 arresting the drunk town native every day
>>
>>27782405
sorry to hear that you got weeded out by the voodoo test, while the polygraph or the voice stress analysis are part of the screening process, I tend to think that usually departments do not follow up on who you had applied for because ALOT of people get phased out in the voodoo part of the hiring process and many departments know that polygraphs and VSA test have flaws.
>>
>>27782457
even when your a cop you will still have that drunk you arrest everyday, I have a regular his name is jimmy Jackson, good guy but man when he is drunk, they literally call me even if I am off duty to take care of him.
>>
>>27782457
I should say local or county officer*
>>
>>27782481
Yeah it happens everywhere, I'm just not sure if the small-town thing is for me. I've always been in cities
>>
>>27779030

Border Patrol and New Orleans are taking people with no experience or degree. I don't know what to tell you if you're not willing to move.

>>27782405

I got bumped from my first hiring process for a failed poly. I always inhale sharply immediately after speaking which isn't noticed by me or anyone unless I'm hooked to a poly. When I found out I stopped doing it during tests and now pass.

My advice would be to be completely honest with your background investigator and polygrapher. Don't attempt any countermeasures. They will almost certainly check with your previous background investigator and polygrapher, the only reason they wouldn't is if you intentionally hid this aspect of your background and lie to your polygrapher when they ask if you've had a poly before. Making it to and being bumped out of a hiring process during the background portion is a pretty big thing for you to try to hide so I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>27782462
Yea that makes sense. I appreciate the advice
>>
>>27779816
Columbia sc city police is always hiring. Good sized dept but they pay 5-8 k/year low vs other comparable forces in the region so everyone jumps ship once they get 2-3ish years of experience and a couple references.
>>
>>27782568
I've been told that singing a song in your head after each question can help as well. The problem with me was I was trying to keep my breathing consisten, but it just showed up as controlled breathing. As far as they were concerned, I was lying about my name and the math question also
>>
>>27782639
>always getting calls to the greyhound station at Buckner road.
>NOPE.jpg
>>
The polygraph does concern me.
I haven't done anything to be concerned about, but in Syrupland the RCMP is fixing to ban popular rifles, and I could be knowingly in possession of an illegal firearm if they do it by the time I apply (because I am not handing in my SKS)
>>
>>27782645

I just ignore my breathing completely and listen to the questions except for after answering a question, then I just focus so I don't inhale sharply.
>>
How hard would it be to get into SWAT shit? Every thing I've seen of swat is usually a buncha fat fucks in vest kicking down a door sometimes yet when I see the requirements it makes them sound like they're all High-Speed-Low-Drag Operators with the IQ of the greatest Scientist on earth.
>>
>>27782668
Now I'm freaking the fuck out. I don't have any criminal history, and am graduating with a double major and minor in the spring and am planning to go to police academy immediately after graduation. I don't want to get weeded out of academy and the hire process just because of a bullshit voodoo test.
>>
>>27779030

Inquire about whether your county sheriff has Reserve Deputies -- you might stand a better chance getting your foot int he door that way. My county sheriff (TN) tends to hire 3-5 reserve deputies twice a year during their hiring events. Those deputies go through a slightly abbreviated POST training academy and work at least one weekend a month partnered with a more senior deputy. It is easier to become a reserve deputy and then after one to two years apply for transfer to full time or to another department.

Another consideration is how I got my foot in the door (no college degree and only 4 years military experience) by being hired as a state corrections officer and working at one of the Nashville area institutions for two years before applying for a job with the PD. I was picked up on my first try and have been doing it for two years now. I am pursuing a degree in CJ and it is good for a step pay increase but thats about it right now.
>>
File: image.gif (41 KB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
41 KB, 385x256
OP could give the chief a blow job
>>
File: 1443058008594.jpg (914 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443058008594.jpg
914 KB, 1920x1080
hey, how do you think a political science degree would do? I have half of it done and then switched to mechanical engineering because my father wanted me to do that. Now im in limbo and I honestly dont think I will be happy with engineering, not that im doing bad but its... idk not what I thought it would be. What I orignally wanted to do was work for the fbi , cia or atf and try to be a field agent, but before I wanted to go into the mil. Any suggestions? Any opinions on any of this? What branch of the military should I join? How hard is it to be a special agent with the fbi or cia or atf? Is a political science degree okay for this?
>>
>>27779030

Move to someplace that's always in demand for them and doesn't really care who they're hiring anymore.

Like Detroit.
>>
Good friend of mine has taken a dozen polygraphs. He has literally only failed when telling the total truth. lol I absolutely understand the desire of departments to polygraph if it worked but...man it seems everyone I know who has taken one says it's voodoo jumpsuit half the time
>>
>>27789234
Jumpsuit lol
I meant bullshit*
>>
>>27779756

Degrees in Education (specializing in Adult learning) and Spanish got me hired. I was also had several offers from State and local.
>>
>>27782405

Take several shots of ventolin and some diazepam.

worked for me.
>>
>>27787073

>I don't want to get weeded out of academy and the hire process just because of a bullshit voodoo test.
There's nothing you can do about it, just accept it and move on. It's important to chase multiple other hiring opportunities and not just one for this very reason.
>>
>>27779030
as well they should be, fuck off, let people with an education in the law do the job oakie
>>
>>27779756
So, its totally worth it finish college ( biology degree) and go to military before you try a police career?
>>
This whole thread is just advice/cringy cop bullshit, police aren't /k/. Welfare leeches with a superiority complex, always putting themselves before those they are supposed to serve.
>>
>>27791234
PIGS TOOK MUH DIMEBAG
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.