[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who military here? Enlisting has seemed more and more attractive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 4704966-9829071800-hires[1].jpg (2 MB, 2792x3744) Image search: [Google]
4704966-9829071800-hires[1].jpg
2 MB, 2792x3744
Who military here? Enlisting has seemed more and more attractive to me as time goes on. However I have no idea what branch I would want to join. Did you enjoy/value your time in? Would you recommend your branch/mos? I'm in college so I would probably be officer material since I would either do ROTC or be enlisting holding 2 bachelor's degrees.
>>
>>27527022
/meg/

Anyhoo.

I'm Navy, Sub occifer. I did NROTC. Lot of friends in Army, USAF, USMC, and some SWO/Pilot/Seal buddies.

You already have a BA/BS? You can go to OCS if your GPA isn't shit. Two BA/BS doesn't really do much for you, and only one can be used to give you rank if enlisting.

What are you interested in? What are your majors? It's a pretty big world out there.
>>
>>27527201
Not yet, I'm a sophomore/2nd year. Yeah, I figure two doesn't count any more than one, but I'm doing a double major regardless. I'm majoring in environmental science and chemistry, so neither is really all that relevant to military service. I've thought that being a combat engineer would probably be the closest fit, because some of the skills would transfer to restoration projects. That would put me in the Army most likely, but I'm also open to the Navy, that's what my uncle was in.
>>
>>27527348
>>/meg/

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD ANYMORE
>>
>>27527348
I was told not to reply to this thread but fuck him.

If your school has ROTC/AFROTC/NROTC you can still join, Army gives out scholarships up to the fall of your junior year, so does Navy and Air Force.

EnviSci is cool, Chemistry is cooler. AF and Navy love that shit, and will suck STEM dick all day. If you're really double majoring, all the better.

What's your GPA?

Are you in good shape?

What are you interested in doing? You can do literally anything.
>>
>>27527801
GPA is 3.1 as of the end of the summer but it should be going up, it took my freshman year to get my shit figured out and I do all my work now. Yeah, I figure chemistry is what the military would be more interested in. I'm in pretty good shape, /fit/ and /out/ are my usual home boards, but I'm not a very good runner. That's easy to work on, though. I've looked over the benchmarks, and I should be able to smash the pullups and by the time I come to a decision should be able to almost get the top score for pushups and situps.

I'm interested in doing some sort of specialized infantry, but I don't really know at this point. I mentioned combat engineer in my other reply, I'd be very interested in being a medic if training was provided, but I have don't have any certifications or education in medicine, just knowledgeable layman.
>>
I'm in my senior year of NROTC. Just got Nuke drafted. Here's to the next 5 years of my life sucking. Oh well. At least I'll be an officer and make bank.
>>
>>27527201
Shit man I just for Nuke drafted. What am I in for? I paid for lasik in the hopes I could get aviation. My soul is crushed atm. Got service selection a week ago.
>>
>>27527878
basically any MOS you get into they will train you. if you were selected to join Underwater Detcord Basket Weaving or Airborne Food Preparation Door Gunner they would train you.
>>
>>27527995
They made you a nuke? Well, you're smart, apparently. Not smart enough to not be a nuke. You're in for the ride of your life but it's okay; once you get out you can then be a civilian nuke and actually get paid money!
>>
>>27528029
Comp Sci major. My unit is now 2/2 for CompSci majors being Nuke drafted.
>>
>>27527995
Sorry to hear that man, should have done worse in math ;)

In all seriousness, it's a great job. Enlisted nukes are really smart, squared away people, and your chief will put you in a good direction.

Power school sucks whether you're a nuclear physicist or an English major, so just grin and bear it. If you flunk out you'll be a swo and you won't get that cash money second nuke bonus ($8000 right after power school)

Get qual'd as soon as you can and learn to love it. You're in charge of a billion dollar boat, and you get to see, hear and do things that a lot of people never knew existed. One day you might even get your own boat, which would be cool as shit.

If you don't like it, five and dive and go do something you've always wanted to do. You'll be smart enough and your resume will be thick enough, everything will work itself out.

Welcome to the brotherhood of the silent service, we're glad to have you aboard.
>>
>>27528137
This might be the greatest advice I've gotten. My unit is so small we don't have a Nuke Officer. I have no idea what to expect. You've given me more info in one post that I've gotten since I was a MIDN 4/C. Thanks man.
>>
>>27527022
>Who military here?

Probably the people in the milfag general you dumbass.
>>
File: 78569_med.jpg (122 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
78569_med.jpg
122 KB, 600x739
Active Duty Navy Submarine Comms
Listen to me.
If you are serious about joining the military you can't half-ass anything.
1.) Don't just think you are in good shape, BE IN GOOD SHAPE otherwise life is going to suck.
2.) Make sure everything promised to you for enlisting or commission is in WRITING AND DOCUMENTED. Take nothing at face value.
3.) Be blunt and incessant about what Rate/MOS you want. Don't let anyone tell you can't do something because once you're in a contract its over.
4.) Being in college means nothing if you're a shitbird. The worst people I met in the navy had a college degree. Be a good and decent person.
5.) The Navy is great but if you want to see action, FMF Corpman, SWCC, SEAL, EOD, SeaBee, or MA are the most /k/. Don't get sucked into the hype about other rates and for the love of good don't go Subs.
6.) Don't take joining a special operations lightly. Remember, there are guys who knew they wanted to be SO's and training for it since they were 13. They are your competition and they set the bar.

Also general rule of thumb when choosing branches
ARMY- Big and Bloated but Most funded
MARINES- The few the proud the overworked and under appreciated, Most dangerous, most respected by civilians
NAVY- Your life is confined to small spaces and narrow passageways but you get to travel to great foreign parts in Europe and Asia. Best uniforms.
Air Force- The butt of every joke in the military but a average day is like having a normal 9-5 job and hot girls.
Coast Guard- I mean someone has to do it.
Good Luck,
>>
USMC Infantry 0311/0313 here 1998-2009 took a medical discharge due to injuries sustain at the show.

My advice to you is 1st good on your for stepping up. 2nd the military is what you make it, put forth effort, get as much training and schools, certs as you can. The Marine Corps is great but it is a small pyramid. Fewer opportunities. Army is nasty but has many opportunities. I have always said in the Army they take pride in their unit, the Marines take pride in the Corps.

Ok so most importantly you need to decide if you want to be a snake eater and be in combat arms cause if so be prepared to get a civilian education when you get out using your GI Bill. It could be college or trade school.

Or you can get a technical MOS and get a job making $70k your first day back in Civ Div. I recommend IT admin type MOS and some of the medical MOS like radiology tech. Electronics repair. Signals intel weenie
>>
>>27530788
>Coast Guard- I mean someone has to do it.

kek
>>
>>27530828
IN peace time those guys havbe more hands on gun time then anyone. Boarding ships is hairy business.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.