[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone explain "g"s to me in terms of turn rates.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: f_22_turning.jpg (58 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
f_22_turning.jpg
58 KB, 700x500
Someone explain "g"s to me in terms of turn rates.
>>
>>23286518
"G"'s refer to gravitational pull. while standing you excert one G, or one Gravity. while in a plane turning 45º at 400mph you excert close to 3 g's. its the force of the inerta of your body going one way pushing you into the seat, which its inerta is going another way, thus "simulating" a gravitational pull to the seat. This is the best way i can explain iy OP. now stop being a faggot and feel it for yourself.
>>
>>23287654

While correct, that's a bit of an incomplete answer.

In order for an aircraft to turn, you need to bank it and place the lift vector outside of purely vertical. Once that happens, if you want it to turn faster and have a smaller turn radius (assuming constant airspeed and altitude), you need to pull back on the stick. This causes centrifugal force (inb4 it's a pseudoforce, I know but let's just go with it) to press you down in your seat, increasing the number of Gs you feel.

So the rough equation is more Gs, higher turn rate, smaller turn radius.
>>
>>23287654

Also pulling Gs sucks. I can feel the blood pooling on the bottom of my forearms.
>>
File: 1359250184587.gif (28 KB, 91x90) Image search: [Google]
1359250184587.gif
28 KB, 91x90
>>23288910
This, it's a bizarre feeling. I went to one of those Aviation Challenge camps when I was a wee /k/ommando, and they threw us in a centrifuge near the end, to feel 3 Gs. It was like someone was pushing down on the top of my head through my skull.
>>
>>23288948
>>23288910
>niggas never road the starship 3000 at the fair

You can barely pull your head off the wall when it's moving full speed
>>
>>23289032
>never stood straight against the padding when at full speed
>>
>>23289049
They wouldn't let you do that
Saw a guy spiderman, but the guy would bitch at you if you did shit like that

Also, the moving walls that slide up when the speed ramps up would make you fall down so quick that you'd break something
whether on the machine or on you
>>
>>23286518
To go around the same radius corner faster, you must pull more Gs.

Also another thing. And F-16 can pull 9g. But its best sustained turn rate is far less, about 6 Gs. If it pulls more than that, it will slow down too much in the process of pulling those extra Gs. The F-16 corners best at 330-450 knots and that is about 6g.

15 year flightsim pilot out.
>>
>>23288910
>>23288948
Pussies.
I bet you don't even like roller coasters.
>>
>not doing pushups and training like Goku on the way to Namek.

They let us do whatever we wanted, 11yo me loved it. Now it just makes me nauseous.
>>
>>23287654
>while in a plane turning 45º at 400mph you excert close to 3 g's.
I dunno where the fuck you're getting this shit, but 45 degrees bank in a level turn equates to 1.41 Gs no matter what speed you're going (assuming coordinated flight with zero sideslip, of course).
>>
>>23289177
Same

Shit makes me sick, but I'd hit that thing 30 times in a row when I was younger
>>
File: F-16Blk15 at 15k.jpg (487 KB, 1600x1225) Image search: [Google]
F-16Blk15 at 15k.jpg
487 KB, 1600x1225
>>23289134
>6g sustainted
Try 4.5
>>
>>23289134
>But its best sustained turn rate is far less, about 6 Gs.
Even less than that at altitude.
Or with full fuel.
Or with a substantial warload.
Or any combination of the above.
>>
>>23289196
>15000 ft
See >>23289199
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.