[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made this thread a few weeks back on /out/, and I was curious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 2191_2952_Cody_Wyoming_Moose_md.jpg (164 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
2191_2952_Cody_Wyoming_Moose_md.jpg
164 KB, 500x300
I made this thread a few weeks back on /out/, and I was curious what the response would be on /k/.

I live in a rural area and go into the the mountains alone fairly often (I'm heading out not as a matter of fact), and I usually go alone. I've spent most of this year hiking around the woods here and I've run into moose, bear and elk. I was wondering what would be the best method to protect myself in a confrontation? If I were to get a gun what would be the best choice? Is bear spray enough? Does it also work on moose and elk, that I run into much more frequently? What about mountain lions?
>>
>>23281492
I remember that thread. I suspect you should have brought it here in the first place.

Here's my take on the situation. Carry an air horn instead of spray, and also carry a gun. The horn because it has longer range than spray, and it might serve to scare the animal away. If something is within spray range, you need to have your gun ready because you won't have time to transition if things go south. You're also tactically withdrawing, not standing there and taking selfies with (insert animal here) to post on FB.

A rifle is preferred, .308 being the minimum caliber you're looking for. Or possibly a 12ga with slugs. Look up the ballistics to see if a 12 ga has enough penetration. Speed of follow up shot is also a consideration.

If you choose a pistol, my inclination is to go with a wheelgun in at least .44 Rem Magnum. Avoid 9mm, regardless of magazine capacity, due to marginal penetration in this application. It was originally made as a military round and is not well suited for hunting purposes. This application isn't hunting, as such, but it is big game shooting.

So there's my opinion. Crack a beer, sit back and enjoy the show.
>>
>>23282046
>.308 being the minimum caliber
Bring PTR/FAL/M14 hiking for no worry about animals ever!
>>
>>23282079
I was thinking something more along the lines of a bolt gun. Though I suppose I have no room to bitch if you pack an M-60. Anything in a full size rifle caliber will do. Just don't miss
>>
File: 1886.jpg (95 KB, 2000x526) Image search: [Google]
1886.jpg
95 KB, 2000x526
a levergun in 45-70 is another fine option>>23282046
>>
I would recommend a handgun over any rifle or shotgun. I say this because I don't know the laws in your area but some of those animals may be out of season. Game warden shows up after hearing a shot and sees you with a rifle he probably won't believe you if it is an out of season animal.

Most animals won't attack unless bothered and most run away after a loud noise. But some are crazy or have rabies so I would want a higher caliber than 9mm.
>>
>>23282046
Any 12 Ga with slugs is more than enough to take any of these. It's also cheap and foolproof.
>>
>>23281492
Don't mess with bear bros. Youtube search "black bear false charge". Most of the time they run at you to scare you but won't do anything. A lot of aminals are like this unless you really make them feel unsafe then they'll fuck your shit up.
>>
>>23281492
dont fuck with a moose and they wont fuck with you bear and elk are really nothing to worry about
>>
File: you see now kommando.jpg (21 KB, 294x364) Image search: [Google]
you see now kommando.jpg
21 KB, 294x364
>>23282891
forgot pic
>>
>>23282046
I don't go to /out/ much. Not since a month or so after it was made and some guy posted a picture from his backpacking trip. There was a revolver in the picture and a MASSIVE fucking shitstorm blew the fuck up.
>>
>>23281492

Glock 20.
>>
>>23282949
They're a bunch of granola eating faggots, not sure what you expected.

And yes, I know granola is delicous, but cock-smoking hippies ruined it for me.
>>
>>23283014
I go there for fishing threads, but that's it.
>>
>>23282912
seriously i have both a black bear den and a skunk den less than a hundred yards from my house and i'd rape the mother black bear before i would look at any of the baby skunks cross eyed
>>
>>23282811
I thought so, wasn't sure about the penetration.
>>
Glock 20 is the best hiking gun.
>>
>>23282728
I have a bizarre fascination with .45-70 lever guns and I can't even entirely explain why. I mean I like old lever guns anyway, but for some reason those have a special place in my heart. I've never even fired one before.
>>
>>23282949
It's always the same coalition of assmad Yuros who do it. A Scando, a Brit, a Frog and I think a couple of others. They shit up any thread relating to guns or hunting. I think they also spend a lot of time samefagging the fuck out of outdoor cat threads on /an/. It's pretty easy to poke them until they have a frothing meltdown.
>>
>>23281492
I carry a Glock 20 15 rounds of 10mm on tap. A 12 gauge is more effective but my 870 doesn't fit on my hip. Usualy if you make enough noise the moose will avoid you before a confrontation could even happen.
>>
>>23281492

Easy mode: Glock 20 chambered in 10mm

Hard mode: Glock 22 chambered in .40 S&W

>the following video shows that even 10mm's retarded little brother can fuck up a moose alright

>dude pulls out CC glock 23 and smokes a young adult moose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5jJz2HOnY
>>
>>23282046
Go 12ga with good slugs. Be careful with that siren, moose like to charge when startled.
>>
>>23283297
Like the wolf hunting thread on /out/ right now.
>>
>>23286085
>young adult moose
That's a baby moose.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.