[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ool guys. Last week I made a thread showing off a sheath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_4761.jpg (467 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4761.jpg
467 KB, 1000x667
Hey /k/ool guys. Last week I made a thread showing off a sheath I made for my kabar and some fellows showed interest in a similar sheath with a belt loop. It's not perfect in any way, but I made it to the best of my abilities. This is the second sheath I've made, and the first with a belt loop.
>>
File: IMG_4762.jpg (371 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4762.jpg
371 KB, 1000x667
The spots on the stamping are dust from sanding. I'll have to find a way to clean it out.
>>
File: IMG_4759.jpg (454 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4759.jpg
454 KB, 1000x667
It's a very thick, very robust sheath and fairly heavy.
>>
Looks better the the fuck huge USMC EGA on my sheath.
>>
File: 0016Rds.jpg.gif (638 KB, 339x233) Image search: [Google]
0016Rds.jpg.gif
638 KB, 339x233
>>
File: .jpg (128 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
128 KB, 1000x667
>>22786210

That's why I wanted to make my own.
>>
Looks great for one of the first attempts too. Very solid and clean looking. Great work.
I sell my leatherwork which is basically the same standard and it goes for $100+ per sheath.
Really good fun!
>>
>>22786257
I don't mean to de-rail here but....

Is it me, or has Ka-Bar stopped making knives that aren't black?
>>
Recently ordered a Fallkniven F1. Anybody here own one/ have any related pictures?
>>
>>22786267

Take a look around: http://www.kabar.com/knives
>>
>>22786263

Thanks /k/ool guy. I didn't realize how much work it took to make one with a belt loop until I made it. The first one took me a day, but this one took me a while to figure out, but I'm happy with how it turned out.
>>
Last bump before I let the thread die. Will check back later for the guy who was interested.
>>
File: kabar.png (2 MB, 2052x490) Image search: [Google]
kabar.png
2 MB, 2052x490
>>22786200
>kabar in mint condition
why did you do this for a knife you never use
>>
>>22791693

I just bought it last week and made the first sheath a day or two after. Haven't had time to use it in any meaningful manner.
>>
>>22786200
nice sheath OP, where did you get the leather?
>>
>>22791703
It didnt come with a sheath? wut?
>>
>>22791728

It came with the kydex sheath. I'm a hobbyist leatherworker so I decided to make one out of leather.
>>
File: 100_2723.jpg (52 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
100_2723.jpg
52 KB, 1024x768
>>22791755
um... ok, whatever floats your boat. i still have the sheath my USN Mk2 KABAR came with. Too lazy to take a pic of mine, so here is someone elses
>>
>>22791722

Thanks, pop. I got the leather from Tandy Leather Factory. They have a sale on some nice leather for sheaths:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather/9157-98.aspx
>>
>>22791722

But you'll need a lot more than leather if you're looking to make your own. If you want I can try and put together a cheap list of products for you to start out with.
>>
>>22786200
That's very nice. I want one! Great work. Post a website if you ever start a business
>>
>>22793065

Thanks, /k/ool guy. There's a guy who was interested in buying it. Since it's my first and there is a defect I'd sell for $90.
>>
>>22791866
Please do, I went to the local hobby lobby and they had one set for of tools, no swivel knife for 70 dollars, hoped the fuck out.

>>22791806
I'll check that, been looking to do a trifold notebook and a quiver for my arrows
>>
>>22794437

Here's a list of what you might need for basic leatherwork using vegetable tanned leather, and what I'd recommend for a notebook and quiver. I use a utility knife ($10-$20) for most of my cutting and strop it every now and then so it cuts like butter. It might be wise to get a rotary cutter ($15) as well for ease of use. You'll also need a poly/rawhide mallet ($25+), needles for saddle stitching ($3 for 10), stitching chisels ($10 each), and thread (depends on type, strength, etc, ranges from $5 a spool to $45). You'll also need a burnisher/slicker ($2 on ebay, $17 in store), and a size 2 edge beveler ($15). For colouring you will want to use Feibings Professional Oil Dye ($8 each), some wool daubers ($4 for 10), some rags for buffing, a leather conditioner like carnauba cream ($8), a sealer like acrylic resolene ($8), tan kote ($8) to seal the inside and flatten the hair down, and some edge kote ($8) to dye your edges. So to get into it you're looking at around $140 plus tax, plus the cost of your leather. You can also get these things on ebay from Asia for much cheaper, but the only thing I've gotten off ebay is the slicker because it's just a piece of wood.

The tools really do make the difference in terms of look and finish. Beveling that edge and burnishing it smooth gives it a very nice look and feel. My first projects were absolutely shit because I didn't have the right tools to do the job.
>>
>>22794803

Also if you plan on buying a lot from Tandy Leather Factory you can get a year long membership for $35 and get significant savings. Almost everything I've bought has been on sale, including leather.
>>
>>22794803
Shit that's a lot of tools to get started, I thought it was simple like cut leather, stamp design, tan/seal it. Done.

Any good videos for this?
>>
>>22794992

You're looking at paying more for stamps ($10 each) and tooling ($25+ for swivel knife, $10 each for modeling tools).

Every one of this guy's videos is worth watching. I've watched them all from start to finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pAMZQpYFA&list=UULkCG-505-1t0rYlgBTSnpQ
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 570x428
>>22795099
Yeesh this is expensive. Well gotta start somewhere. Any idea/vids on how to press backgrounds to make designs pop? See a lot of flower designs like this on it is something I wanna do with the quiver and note book.
>>
>>22795444

You see all those metal tools in the background? They're about $8-$10 each. It's produced using a combination of some of those and a swivel knife. Takes quite a while to get good at carving. These sheaths are my first experience with stamping. I don't have a swivel knife and won't be doing anything like tooling and carving leather like that.
>>
>>22795544
Understood, get those tools and do the work,
Get year membership from Tandy
Acquire tools
Practice on leather scraps
Do real project after some garnered experience
>>
>>22795697

You got it, my boy.
>>
Should I make another?
>>
>>22791781
that sheath looks like shit,op wins.
>>
>>22787794
Wow. All of the Ka-Bar brand Ka-Bars are black now. I feel a bit sad about this. I mean, sure they have other knives without the coating... but damn. I already have one with the coating, and kinda wanted one without.

Oh well.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.