[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LEO handgun market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 684x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 684x384
Will the SIG p320 or S&W M&P line of handguns be used by a majority of police officers in the US?
Will anything ever take the title from GLOCK ?
>>
No
It is too ingrained in Police Departments for everybody to just switch at once.

Unless some futuristic pistol comes out that blows GLOCK out of the water, they will be the primary pistol for a majority of departments..
>>
>>30533705
probably not, they dont do anything drastically different other then a few upgrades, and most departments tell you to suck it up and deal with what you're given. Mine just allowed the M@P line and as much as I like it im too lazy to switch my glock 17 for one
its not like the transition from revolvers to wonder nines, and the wonder nines to plastic fantastic. I like all the glock clones out there but theyre really not all that much of an improvement, especially for a bigger LEO dep. to justify buying and replacing their current guns with
>>
File: liamnesson.jpg (29 KB, 306x376) Image search: [Google]
liamnesson.jpg
29 KB, 306x376
>tfw my department still uses .38 revolvers
>>
>>30535129
How does that even happen in this day and age? I know Glock practically gives their pistols away to police departments.
>>
>>30533732
This. The State Police here have M&Ps and every single cop I've talked to HATES them and swears on their grandmother's grave that Glock is better.
>>
>>30533705
no beacuse the alternatives simply arent as good as a glock all around.
you might have one feature that sticks out and is better than a glock for instance the m&p ergonomics but the guns just arent as durable as glocks in the longterm. they are durable enough for all personal use. an average shooter will never wear either out but a glock will keep on kicking long past that.
none of em are shit but its average with 1-2 good points compared to slightly above average all around
>>
>>30535256
>every single cop I've talked to HATES them

I can see having a beef with trigger, since the stock trigger is pure shit. Plus there's that psychological study that showed people having a bias toward the first weapon they were issued/trained with.
>>
>>30533705
My two local police departments use Berettas and glocks and state troopers carry sigs
>>
>>30535214
Probably the result of crusty fudds that have an extreme wood and metal fetish who bought the "revolvers can't malfunction" myth
>>
>>30535256
I know a cop and his off-duty carry gun is an M&P9. He loves that thing. I think the trigger is mush city.
>>
>>30535314
It's probably a combination of both. I do agree with the trigger, though. I either change them for the Apex trigger, or I get Performance Center versions.
>>
>>30535440
I have a Performance Center Shield in 9mm. I love it. But like I said above, PC triggers > stock.
>>
>>30535214
I work in Corrections. We're the biggest prison in the state, but we only have revolvers. Some of the state has Glocks already, but Georgia's slow with these kinds of things.
>>
On the topic of LEO handguns, I'm in the academy now and have to pick between a P226 and P229 (both .40 DAK) soon. I'm leaning toward the 226 since it has the longer sight radius, but it's only a half inch difference, and the 229 is easier to conceal in case I'm ever on a plainclothes detail. They only let us feel both, not shoot both, before we decide. Any opinions?
>>
>>30537079
Go with the 226 - and if you're not even out of the academy right now, you're not going to be on any sort of PC or low profile assignment for a very long time.
>>
>>30537079
Mind you may be standing for a while. The lighter your belt the better you feel

Also you dont typically get to carry your service pistol...different with every department though
>>
>>30533705
S&W M&Ps are shit design that have a horrible track recorded as S&W keeps constantly introducing little changes hoping people forget about the flaws that were first introduced with the guns.
>>
>>30537172
The difference in weight is negligible from what I can see, and we can carry our duty guns off duty. I plan on carrying an M&P shield off duty anyway, but my concern is with plainclothes details. I know that federal Air Marshals and the secret service use the 229, so I can't imagine there's a big disadvantage losing .5" of barrel and sight radius. I just wish we could shoot both before we pick.
>>
>>30535312
Bullshit the post.
>>
>>30533705
My local department says "either accept this piece of shit that has seen more abuse than your mother, or take the 400$ we give you and bug your own". Most cops I've met either go Glock or in 2 cases, M9s. Why, I will never know.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 500x489
>>30535129
>tfw department still carries beretta 92fs
>>
>>30533705

Well the only reason Glocks became popular with law enforcement is that they are dirt cheap.
You can still get them for under $400.
Plastic may not be as strong or rigid as steel, but it's much cheaper after all.

So to replace Glocks and other plastic guns, there would have to be some kind of innovation that makes guns even cheaper.
Or we have to start allowing foreign imports again.
>>
>>30535256
whats to hate about them? Ive held them side by side and the feel and shoot almost exactly the same
>>
I've carried: Beretta 92, S&W Sigma, Glock 22, Glock 23, Beretta 92, Sig 229

Prefer Beretta for personal use (first gun bias) but glock for duty. Sig is OK but glock striker fired trigger is better than the Kellerman trigger in the dept sig. Hate that trigger. Stacky DAO.
>>
>>30537079
got the p226 since it'll be a duty gun and switch to the p229 if you make it to detective
Like how in the old days you start with a model 10 and get a cheifs special once you made it as a detective
>>
>>30537727
Would guess that they were maybe military and first trained on Beretta.
>>
In milwaukee i see glock and a few m&p. Mainly glock. Most of the tac team guys still carry the 226 though.
>>
>>30533705
Most of my local LEO already use M&P 40.
>>
File: fnhusafns9.jpg (49 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
fnhusafns9.jpg
49 KB, 848x477
The FNS has been getting swept up by a lot of state level LEAs. It offers what glock offers with ambidextrous controls, steel mags & sights standard, and can be had for blue label price on the civilian market. I hope they start making them a full line like glocks, different sizes/calibers and whatnot. So far there's more versatility since they have hammer or striker & safety or no safety, still I want one in .357 & 10mm... just cuz
>>
>>30537260
Kind of how Glock had a recall for the ejector spring, or unsupported chamber in the 40 and 10mm? You would figure the 4th generation would have all the bugs worked out
>>
>>30533705

I don't think so. The P320 is nice (I had one but sold it) so if there's a department that's still using older stuff (there are some that still carry revolvers and old 1911s) they might be able to gain some market from Glock and S&W.
>>
>>30537647
My local PD recently got rid of their M&Ps due to long term reliability issues
>>
>>30537727
For 400 dollars you can get a Blue label glock easy.
>>
>>30538349
You mean a used police trade in? That's not a blue label, you can't get a blue label unless you're police, ems, fire or armed security. It's just a discounted new glock, a trade in however is an abused whore of a gun.
>>
>>30538487
In my area if you are a veteran you get the LEO discount also
>>
>>30533844
>theyre really not all that much of an improvement, especially for a bigger LEO dep. to justify buying and replacing their current guns with

Thats a non issue considering they get new guns at regular intervals anyway. The major factor for the average department is what they get the beat deal on, which is part of why glock has such a big police presence now. Glock caters to police.
>>
>>30537727
Because glock is light, relatively simple to use, and if you buy them they're yours, don't have to return your gun end of the day or career or whatever
>>
>>30535478

Same , we just switched from GP100 to glockenspiel-17 this year.

Still wished for 92 but we got the glock so not to bad. Least our retards can't break them like our rifles.
>>
>>30538487
>a trade in however is an abused whore of a gun.

Not necessarily, more like holster worn. Had a bunch of trade in P228s with at least 3 mags each for $350-400 a few years ago. Internally the finish on the rails was more intact than the slide. Just kinda depends on the department regs
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.