[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mini-14 Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: top.jpg (122 KB, 1400x425) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
122 KB, 1400x425
Experiences?

Pros?

Cons?

I want a wooden one like pic related but 5 rder since NJfag.

How hard are sights to adjust?
>>
I really like mine. I don't own an AR, and probably never will.
Mine is 583 series, basic one from walmart $725
Rear sight is not hard to adjust. I put a scope on mine, but if I didn't go that route I probably would have replaced the rear sight. The rear sight did come loose, but nothing loctite (that came in the box) didn't take care of.
Runs all types of ammo.
I put about 3k rds thru mine so far.
Owned it for 1.5yrs
I've gotten <2" 5rd groups from bench at 100yds in stock form
If you put a scope on it will need check riser.
Ive bought 4 ruger 30rd mag, paid $45 for them
I bought a metal 30rd promag new for it and haven't had any problems with it, paid $28
I just generally like it.

Anybody who says theyre outright bad guns like all the people who shit on it here on /k/ are simply just faggots that repeat what they hear from it here faggots.
>>
File: IMG_0098.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>30372889
>Experiences?
I absolutely love mine. Really fun to take out into the desert and camping, just to fuck around with it.
>Pros?
Looks as good as your grandfathers hunting rifle with the power, capacity, and accuracy of your average ar-15.
Can do everything an AR-15 can do.
>Cons?
Expensive.
You'd be better off building your own AR for 100-200 dollars less than the total cost of it.
Magazines are pricey too...
>How hard are sights to adjust?
Pretty easy.
>>
File: IMG_20160401_204539803.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_204539803.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
>>30373150
Also here's mine wearing a shitty $20 stock I found used at a lgs
>>
My dad bought one because he wanted something for defense and half-joked about tyrannical government, but just isn't modern enough to embrace scary black rifles. Honestly, I like the feel of it, and Garand-style actions are neat to me. It's well built, it goes bang, it's a unique and cool offering in a 5.56 world filled with (seemingly) only black rifles or bolt actions. There might still be some lingering memes about thin barrels and accuracy but newer production rifles are fine.

My only gripe is that I think they're usually too expensive for what they are; luckily my dad got a good deal on his.

Also, the rock-in mags (think AK) are a bit to get used to, especially if you like to be able to do speed reloads, but it isn't bad.

If you can find a good deal, I'd recommend one.

Mags rust real easy, if that could be a problem for you.
>>
>>30373152
I have an ar15 so building an ar15 isnt something im in a rush to do.

Mostly I just want another 223 rifle to take out when im shooting my ar15 or if I want some diffent shit to shoot.
>>
File: 20160619_184836.jpg (2 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160619_184836.jpg
2 MB, 4032x2268
>>30373245
>>
How are the stainless versions? Anyone know the total number of parts in the rifle? I like simple rifles and was trying to compare this to getting an AR.
>>
>>30372889
Get an AK and a 40 round mag. Fuck the police.
>>
Does anyone make an affordable brass catcher for these?

Id kill for a m1 garand brass catcher.
>>
>>30373152
What optic are you using?
>>
>>30372889
do they make them in 308 :)
>>
>>30373152
It can do something ar15 cant. And it has better manual of arms and ergonomics
>>
File: mine was blued.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mine was blued.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>30372889
> Experiences?

I bought a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in the late-1980s, seeing it as a reasonably priced AR replacement and while it was a cool rifle, nicely made and I had no reliability issues, accuracy was for shit;

Couldn’t put 10rds in a paper plate at 100 yards and it was utterly impossible to sight in a scope, (Tasco Pro-Point PDP3) as the point of impact varied so widely and with no rhyme of reason regardless of what ammo was used.

It ended up being a safe queen until I sold it 10 years or so later.

While supposedly the new Ruger Mini-14s are accurate, I’ve heard that the general rule-of-thumb for the older ones is; 10% are accurate, 10% are lemons and 80% are… just shitty.

A buddy's Mini-30 on the other hand, is decently accurate.
>>
>>30373798
Truglo 2x42mm
>>
>>30374078
I have a mini 30, and i'm in the process of trying to make it not suck. I do have an early 196 series so maybe new ones aren't as shitty.

>Barrel strut w/adjustable gas block - 240
>Decent rear sight - 70 bucks
>Trigger job - 60 bucks
>New firing pin and endless fucking with it - 50

So about 420 bucks to give it a decent trigger, make it reasonably accurate, not throw shells 200 fucking yards and bang scopes to shit, fire surplus ammo reliably, and have a good rear sight.
>>
>>30374078
Dunno, I watched a few videos of people shooting with the mini 14 and the accuracy seems fine. People were shooting at 300-600 yards. These were videos within the past 5 years though
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.