[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are revolvers alright for HD? evrn if not what wheelgun should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (510 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
510 KB, 1600x1200
are revolvers alright for HD?

evrn if not what wheelgun should i buy/ wpuld be worth yhe investment
>>
>>27942707
I'm going with Ruger GP100. Tough as hell, decent trigger, etc.

Anyone who cares will be in here soon to argue about whatever year s&w they found and fap to the thought of funding a deal on a Python.

But the answer is GP 100.
>>
>>27942707
A gun is only as good as its user. If you do well with a revolver, go for it.

Mr73 would be a good investment, unless those Frenchies sell us all of their old surplus.

(Pls do France)
>>
File: gen whatever.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gen whatever.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>27942761
GP100 is a great gun and a great value.
It would not be a mistake to buy one but S&W are better.

>>27942707
>are revolvers alright for HD?
Yeah, but the limitations are generally the capacity and you also want to consider over penetration and penetration through walls, particularly for home defense. Do you live with people, in an apartment? Choosing a magnum round with a heavy load can cause concern.
Capacity and size aren't as big an issue. Also, I tend not to leave guns stored in a car or house while chambered because of the potential for fires. In the state of Tennessee, where I do not live, I believe the rule for keeping a gun in your car is only that it can't be chambered for that reason. I don't want to accidentally cause the death of a fireman. With a semi-auto you can just rack the slide. With a revolver you can just leave a chamber empty but then the capacity is even less. It also fucks with OCD tendencies.
Are you worried about leaving the gun loaded because of springs? They don't wear out that way, don't worry about it.
Finally, there are less revolvers with rails should you decide you want a light.

So if you want to get a wheel gun for home defense that's fine. I would recommend a larger .357 with a 6" barrel and load it with high velocity low grain weight hollow points. That will maximize tissue damage while minimizing how many walls it continues to sail through. S&W are fantastic but expensive, Ruger is rock solid and a lot cheaper. The reason I suggest a 6" barrel are as follow:
>prettier (subjective)
>Less bang and flash which is a huge deal if you shoot your gun in a hallway without ear protection.
>Better recoil management.

Personally, I think pic related is the ideal home defense gun.
>>
File: mama.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
mama.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>27943127
>Personally, I think pic related is the ideal home defense gun.

Reasons:
>less risk of bystander damage
>easy one handed operation so you have a free hand for doors, pets, switches, kids etc..
>large capacity because fuck yeah why not
>No long barrel (like with a shotgun) making corners easier to negotiate.
>No long barrel (like with a shotgun) meaning bad guy can't grab your barrel as you pass a doorway.
>Light, because you may find that you are glad you have it.
>Less muzzle flash doesn't give you night blindness after the first shot.
>Slightly less noise may not be as likely to cause permanent hearing loss but well, you never know.

Other people will disagree with me. They'll say a shotgun is best because:
>muh stopping power
>muh if you pump the action they'll run away.

Still others will say that an Ar-15 pistol is best because:
>they're morons.
>>
File: beretta_92fs_02.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
beretta_92fs_02.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
Revolver for home defense? I say absolutely, but depends on the role for me. I have a 4 inch GP100 that stays on me during the day while doing housework, working out, pooping, ect. Would I use it as a bedside gun while I'm sleeping? Absolutely not, mainly because the extreme flash and sound a .357 makes would cause severe disorientation at night. For bedside duties I keep my Beretta 92fs next to me while sleeping. Less flash and noise, better control, higher capacity, are all important things. Think how you are after waking up from deep sleep, you might miss a couple of times. As for what >>27943127 said I'll have to disagree. All my weapons stay ready with one in the chamber, every second counts and I'm not losing that precious second because I have a hard on for firemen or because of OCD.
>>
>>27943158
>Reasons:
>>less risk of bystander damage
Pistols are inherently less accurate than long guns, and M193 tumbles and breaks up in dry wall much sooner than 9mm. ARs are vastly superior HD weapons to pistols
>>
File: funclaw-1-1.jpg (93 KB, 600x738) Image search: [Google]
funclaw-1-1.jpg
93 KB, 600x738
>>27943261
>As for what >>27943127 (You) said I'll have to disagree
Well, I carry my Glock chambered and it stays chambered but it stays with me. None of my guns that are in the safe or stored in the trunk, whatever are chambered.
What I meant to OP was that if I had a dedicated night stand gun that was going to be sitting there every day for years while I'm off at work etc, I would at least leave the chamber empty. If you got time to get it out of the night stand, you got time to chamber a around.

So, if you disagree that's okay. I still respect your viewpoint but hope you leave your guns pointed in a direction that won't shoot somebody in the unfortunate scenario of a fire.
>>
File: Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png (35 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png
35 KB, 500x319
>>27943158
>>muh stopping power
>>they're morons.
gg no re
>>
Ib thynk day be ok
>>
File: 1447198745837.jpg (78 KB, 876x960) Image search: [Google]
1447198745837.jpg
78 KB, 876x960
>>27943360
Well okay now that you clarified I suppose you have a point. Whenever I leave the house though all my guns that don't go with me go into a safe. I don't think I've ever left my dedicated nightstand gun out while I'm not around due to possible theft or someone fucking around with my gun. Still keep all my guns fully loaded with one in the chamber, especially my bedside. I probably wouldn't ever leave a gun just sitting in my car either, but I suppose if I had to it would have zero ammo in it and no magazine. I'm not gonna have some dindu break into my car and use it to kill someone without at least putting in the effort. Again though, not leaving a gun in my car or around my house while I'm not around. As for fires, I'm just not gonna think about that one. I also don't live in Tennessee by the way lol.
>>
>tfw current ammo prices of .44

Considering getting a GP100 because of this. Would rather a S&W 27 or 586, but don't feel like spending $900+ on a revolver.
>>
>>27942707
judt het a srmi quto, ybh fan
>>
>>27943741
>>27944019
>>
>>27942707
Did you have a stroke at the end of that post?
>>
>>27944128
These posts were obviously lampooning the illiterate OP's spelling errors

>evrn
>i
>wpuld
>yhe
>>
File: 686-3-2r.jpg (1 MB, 2963x2537) Image search: [Google]
686-3-2r.jpg
1 MB, 2963x2537
>>27942707
yes
>>
>>27944140
It looks like the screw that holds that there leaf spring for that back sight there is coming out or something cause that it's sticking up on the pointy end.
>>
>>27942707
>are revolvers alright for HD?
Christ, a break action single shot .410 would be alright for home defense for most people - so long as it's properly loaded and not wielded by a complete imbecile. So yes, a revolver is just fine. Great, even. I'd stick with a lower pressure round like .38 Spl for inside a house and urban carry though. Don't even want to imagine what a .357 Mag would do to your ears if fired indoors without ear muffs.
>>
>>27944300
I'm sorry I don't quite follow.
>>
File: google poo.jpg (116 KB, 736x469) Image search: [Google]
google poo.jpg
116 KB, 736x469
>>27944557
Alright, I googled you an image.
Look at it, laying down flat, nice and smooth.
>>
>>27944557
The front of the rear sight assembly should lie true with the frame, on your gun it is proud of the frame.
>>
>>27944576
You were right! It was about 3/4's of a turn loose.
>>
>>27944587
Yep the screw was 3/4 of a turn loose. I literally just picked this thing up. Good catch gents.
>>
>>27944608
It's a beautiful gun, as good as any revolver I've ever seen. They just don't make them any better, glad I could help.
>>
>>27944627
Thanks! I just traded one of my G19's for it straight across, and I am pretty happy with the deal.
>>
>>27944587
>>27944627
/k/ delivrars once again. Let us rejoice.
>>
>>27944640
Huzzah, my rear sight is no longer wonky!
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (25 KB, 921x606) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
25 KB, 921x606
>>27944638
ohhh gawd, enjoy babying your shitty fucking bluing and catering to your low capacity

i bet you won't even want to scratch it, so you better just leave it in the safe year round and buy another one to beat up
>>
>>27944656
>>27944656
What?

It's all stainless steel. Also I have plenty of other guns to compete with the G19, I got rid of it because I didn't like it.
>>
>>27944678
well I guess if you don't use it too hard it might retain it's finish decently
>>
File: IMG_15663.jpg (71 KB, 800x462) Image search: [Google]
IMG_15663.jpg
71 KB, 800x462
>>27944140
You may already know but I'm going to try and sound smart anyway:

I like that barrel length with the full underlug. S&W did that in response to the popularity of the Colt Python which had a full underlug. For this reason it is sometimes referred to as a Smython. Lot's of people on /k/, S&W purists prefer the other style pictured here.
I think yours looks better.

Another thing about yours is the attached firing pin. There's some misconceptions out there about dry firing hammers with attached firing pins. Some say it's fine, that the issues come from the pin hitting the frame. You'll notice the pin has some play in it, it should rotate up and down a bit. Personally I would not dry fire it.

Attached firing pins are part of the package for one of the sought after "pre-hillary lock" Smith.

Those grips are fantastic, a real classic look with the gold emblem.

The whole thing comes together in one of the most aesthetically pleasing guns you can find anyway at any price. Congratulations on your trade.

Oh, and if you want to clean the front of the cylinder, which isn't necessary, get some "Flitz" polish, put a tiny dab on your finger and it'll rub that carbon right off no problem. Don't scratch up, Use Flitz or just don't worry about it, please.
>>
>>27944694
Ok?

I shoot all my guns regularly and don't really care if they get dinged or marred up. Not everything has to be low drag. Also older Smith's are pretty well known for being kick-ass well built guns, but hey opinions are like assholes.
>>
>>27944698
I was actually wondering how to get the fouling off the front of the cylinder. I tried scrubbing it with a tooth brush and some solvent, but it's pretty caked on. This isn't my first wheel gun, I have a 3 inch GP100 as well, but I figured this was a good trade, for a gun that will outlive me. Also I was surprised at how good the trigger is compared to newer Smith's I've shot.
>>
>>27944712
fine, whatever, be that way.
>>
File: 55.jpg (339 KB, 1232x816) Image search: [Google]
55.jpg
339 KB, 1232x816
Wheelguns are fun... My wife loves hers
>>
File: 578206.jpg (33 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
578206.jpg
33 KB, 880x660
>>27944728
Yeah, pre-mim, from what I understand and I'll probably be corrected, required handwork at the factory and so you basically get a custom trigger job on each one whereas with mim they are all just manufactured "pretty good". I have a newer 629 and the trigger is absolutely awesome though, besides, I might not be 100% accurate on that mim thing anyway.

Flitz is actually a valve polish but a lot of gun stores sell it. It will wipe the carbon right off and I've used it quite a bit myself with no ill effect. I wouldn't scrub with it though, it's a polish, just a quick gentle wipe and the carbon comes off. Some people just leave the carbon on and call it a tighter gas seal lol.
>>
>>27944784
I like keeping my guns clean so I will probably pick it up. I'm excited to shoot the thing tomorrow. It came with a pretty good pile of ammo as well so we'll see.
>>
If it's a stainless gun- get a "lead wipeaway cloth"- that shit takes carbon and lead off like crazy.

There's nothing wrong with a full size .38 or .357 for home defense. I'd probably use .38+P lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoints. They're a heck of a lot less loud- like 9 Dbs quieter than 125 grain or 158 .357 ammo, while being very close in effectiveness.
>>
File: GetFile[1].jpg (82 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
GetFile[1].jpg
82 KB, 960x960
>>27944698
>Oh, and if you want to clean the front of the cylinder, which isn't necessary, get some "Flitz" polish, put a tiny dab on your finger and it'll rub that carbon right off no problem. Don't scratch up, Use Flitz or just don't worry about it, please.
>>27944728

These things are stupidly good for cleaning the crap off the front of the cylinder.
>>
>>27944137
OP here
sorry i just have fat fingers too large for a touch screen
spellchecked this time though

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Learned quite a bit and I'm going to look into the ruger and check out my LGS
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.