[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Becoming a gunsmith
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1465934248363.gif (1021 KB, 600x726) Image search: [Google]
1465934248363.gif
1021 KB, 600x726
Hello /k/,
I have decided to finally pursue my dream of working in the firearms industry by becoming a gunsmith and was hoping that some anons would have some advice.
Where can/should I study? What should I pursue? A 2 year degree or 6 month certification? Are online courses worth anything? Any and all advice is appreciated
>>
>where
If eastern us, Pennsylvania Gunsmith School, outside Pittsburgh. If western, Colorado School of Trades. They're pretty much considered the best.

>degree/cert
PGS is 16 months, CST is 14

>online
nope lel, AGI has a couple good vids on certain weapons, but besides that they're all trash

Protip-practice polishing metal and woodworking/stockwork now, it'll make those sections a lot easier

>PGS grad, talked at length with CST grads, they're about the same
>>
>>30367449
Between PGS and CST which do you reccomend?
And I've had experience polishing metals for a college materials lab, though it may be a bit different method
>>
>>30367449
also start tearing guns all the way apart and truly figuring out what does what, down to

>when you pull the trigger, the trigger bar pushes against the sear, tipping it back far enough to release the hammer that pivots on spring pressure
>>
The tldr that is always reached in these threads: don't.
>>
>>30367468
>I watched a gif one time and am not a gun smith

The post
>>
>>30367490
This.

Unless your idea of gunsmithing is tapping receivers for scopes, redoing crowns and getting rid of bore obstructions.

Want to get in the industry? Become an engineer, drafter, machinist or other related tradesperson.
>>
>>30367389
Go look into Lassen Community College and their gunsmithing program. Best in the west past Colorado. Very hard to get into but you are only 40 minutes from Reno and there is a ton of machining work needed in Nevada.
>>
>>30367497
Not same guy. You're probably right, but what else is there? Guns are pretty simple
>>
>>30367490
>>30367521
I know most gunsmith in work is repetitive and boring, but all work is eventually and I may as well like the material I'm working on.
>>30367536
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it
>>
From what I've seen SDI has the most comprehensive program.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 512x389) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 512x389
>>30367389
You will probably have a hard time making a live-able wage as just a gun smith. If you look at any successful person in the fire arms industry they all have a something in common, which is they all have a specialize in one thing that they do really well, like building premium AK's, or putting stocks on desert eagles that are also m9's. The best thing you can do is find a niche that you can capitalize on instead of being another dime a dozen gun smith. Perhaps you could build AKs or make gucci ar parts or something. For example I'm a pipe welder and I've found I can make decent money welding demilled receivers. Any one can bed a rifle or install a scope. Gun smithing school would be helpful but definitely try to find your own specialty. It will help make you many more shekels
>>
>>30367464

I'm
>>30367449
and
>>30367468

Whichever one's closer to home, I think CST's around Denver.

The 2 month difference is from PGS having holiday and summer break, where CST is straight through

>>30367490
It did get me a .mil contractor job, which paid off all of my school debt(2 colleges),let me temporarily semi-retire when I was done, and paid for about 40 funs.
Just Saiyan'

>>30367497
lel, come back after you build a custom .220 Swift with handmade stock
>>
>>30367969
Honestly, what got me interested in it is building aks. So I'll probably specialize in it if I can
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.