[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nogunz poorfag here. Is it too late to get armed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 800x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 800x390
Sup /k/. I've stupidly put off buying a gun and now with the terrorist attack it looks like an "assault weapons" ban is on the way. Are there any good rifles out there in the $350-$550 range? I might be able to go a bit higher but that would really be stretching it. Also what's a good first rifle?
>>
>>30334937
Bumping because I'm in the same predicament. I'm thinking about an SKS because I hear good things about their simplicity and reliability. Opinions?
>>
>>30334985
>>30334937

$550 wont get you much of quality for a new AK or AR, but take a look at the used market. If you want to get a "new" gun, an SKS is the way to go, also you may be able to build your own AR for that price, but the quality may be iffy.
>>
>>30334937
>>30334985
Simply in the interest of part and ammunition commonality, you should probably get an AR. In the interest of saving money, you should build this AR from a stripped lower, upper, and decent parts. This will set you back probably $400-700 depending on what parts you use.
>protip
Get an A2 style front sight and that will save you about 50 bucks you wouldve had to spend on Rooty Tooty Tactical Shooty Brand Operator Flip Up-Down-Left Front Diamond Sight and now you just need to buy a rear sight. A quality but inexpensive rear sight example would be a gen 2 magpul mbus.

While the SKS is light-ish, fires an effective cartridge, accurate, reliable and generally well made, it is still antiquated WW2 era tech with a limited capacity, slower fine motor skill reload, and will be the bottle neck of a competent shooter.

>b-but the AR is 60 years old!
Yeah and was ahead of its time and has been constantly improved on.
>>
>>30334937
Not really going to be a legit suggestion but here would be my advice. Buy the best AR complete lower you can afford right now or just buy a stripped AR lower. Better to have one now if some acoustic boogaloo comes down the pipe rather than pay scalping prices between now and the election. PSA has blemished lowers that wouldn't set you back for much then keep saving. Worst case scenario you have the lower, buy parts kit & upper later on, enjoy satisfaction of building your first asphalt rifle.
>>
>>30335141
This guy again, forgot to mention the M&P Sport 2 and Ruger AR556 seem to be good to go at the $500 mark out of the box. Just no CL or bore treatment.
>>
>>30335183
How difficult is it to switch out the barrel, handguard, front sight, etc. to turn an M&P into a pseudo 20" A4?
>>
>>30335270
>Barrel
Not bad, but see handguard.
>handguard
Retainer can be a bitch, but 3rd hand makes it a breeze.
>front sight
There's your bitch. Look for a pre-populated barrel if you don't know what you're doing.
Easiest is to just buy an A4 upper.
>>
>>30335270
Not hard with an ar15 wrench/tool and a vice. Hard without. AR's are stupid easy to work on, check out some vids on youtube on building an ar. You may need to use a different buffer though.
>>
>>30335344
I figure that makes sense. If I get a .300 Blackout upper for hunting later, I can reuse my lower and mags, right?
>>
There won't be an assault weapons ban, but there are some potentially disruptive steps Obama (doubtful, as he's likely just killing time until he's done) or the next president could take targeting imports.
>>
>>30335365
Yep.
>>30335398
Why? imports aren't even on the radar.
>>
>>30335401
It's the path of least resistance.
>>
>>30335401
Fuck yeah. AR here I come.
>>
>>30334937
>ha, what an easy question! I'll simply pop over to PSA and post a link to the cheapest kit...
>all that's left is a 6.8 (memecaliber kit) and a $600 24" kit
>>
At least get a stripped lower and some mags. Worst case scenario you have your prebans and turn it into a ATF classification "firearm" by being over 23oal without having a stock so you can just brace a buffer tube cheek rest with a pistol grip and only be cucked by a featureless upper. That's my plan if i don't drop the ~500 to build an OK AR in the next couple of months.

If you only have $100 n33tbucks on hand 3 pmags and a stripped milspec lower are better than $100 post ban/having nothing forever.
>>
Retard here. My LGS doesn't have the AR I want (they're all nine pound quad railed tacticooled monstrosities for $750+). Are they usually good about accepting FFL transfers, or is it really dependent on the LGS?
>>
OP here. Good suggestions so far. With regards to building my own, what kind of tools would I be looking at to pull this off? Do the parts just lock into place, or would I need any sort of machining?
>>
>>30335933
Certain shitbirds charge almost double what others would to transfer simply to discourage it. One place i checked with flat out refused. Just check in advance
>>
>>30335955
This is a tiny LGS so I figure they'll understand if I want something they don't stock. I did spend a few hundred bucks with them earlier this year getting a lever gun and some ammo.
>>
>>30335972
Yeah, next time there or call. Will be a yes/no response. Search online for next price (plus shipping!!) To determine where you'll purchase from. Good luck transfer-san
>>
>>30335141
>In the interest of saving money, you should build this AR from a stripped lower, upper, and decent parts. This will set you back probably $400-700 depending on what parts you use.
>building an AR
>saving money

FOR EVERY FUCKTARD THAT SAYS THIS, FUCKING LIST OUT THE TOOLS THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY TO BUILD SHIT.

When I found out the additional cost those tools put into the gun I was going to build "cheap," it didn't make any sense to not buy a fucking premade anymore.

And no, don't tell me you don't need those tools. Those tools make it easier for new buyers to do the job, because if they fuck up screwing parts into the receivers, they will end up with a fucked up gun.

Yes, simply screwing the AR into the receivers will give you a fucked up gun.
>>
>>30334937
If you're going to buy a gun, include the following into the overall cost:
Cleaning tools and CLP
Sling
Gun sock
Sights
Magazines
Ammunition
In no specific order of importance, but just letting you know that buying a gun is an investment. Some things you can put off later, but you will have to buy the cleaners/anti-corrosive preservatives as soon as possible.
>>
>>30335933
Can't you just ask if they can have their distributors order them for you?
>>
>>30336269
Possibly, but I don't know what their distributors have in stock, whereas I know for a fact that the place I'm looking online does.
>>
>>30335398
>there won't be an AWB
When Bill O'Reilly and some other Fox News show hosts start talking about support of AWBs (and they are), you better be ready.
>>
>>30336285
>but I don't know what their distributors have in stock
You call the store, ask them if they can order said gun for you from their distributor, then you can buy the same rifle for zero transfer fee during their next shipment.
>>
>>30335933
Most gun stores will do it for a charge. $25-50 per serialized part is pretty normal.
>>
File: sex monster.jpg (54 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
sex monster.jpg
54 KB, 300x450
no guns poor fag here. looking to get back into hunting have a strict $500 limit for ammo scope rifle etc. would be for white tail deer hunting in northern wisconsin. needs to be strong enough to take down fat corn fed bruisers
>>
>>30339439
.243 on up. Go with a Savage. Budget for a box or 2 of ammo to zero your scope first.
>>
>>30339496
know of any cheap decent semi autos though? i used to own a bolt action 243 youth model a few years ago, and while it was a great rifle that always took down deer in 1 shot, i wanna spice it up a bit.
>>
>>30339570
>know of any cheap decent semi autos though?
SKS.
>>
>>30339570
Not in your price range. Maybe an SKS, but you'll be rocking iron sights.
>>
Anon here selling norinco sks for tree fiddy.
>>
>>30335270
It's as easy as buying a 20" upper and swapping it out
>>
>>30339603
>>30339588

in that case ill probably save up for awhile longer.
>>
>>30334937
with 550 you can build a complete shitty ar or half of a decent one
>>
>>30334937
I know how you feel. My rifle is arriving tomorrow but I have to use irons until I can afford the optic I want to buy. Deciding between a Trijicon TA11 or TA33
>>
>>30339700
550 is enough to build a basic functioning ar.
>>
File: 20160619_235218.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160619_235218.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>30334937
Cheapest i could part together.
$561 for parts. $137 for tools to put it together. $90 for 6 mags, not enough but i shot for $100 a week for 2 and a half months. $320 for 1k rounds 55gr fmj.
>>
>>30339799
Plus a torque wrench.
>>
>>30336223
I built my first AR with nothing but a brass punch and a block of wood. What the actual fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>30339634
>>30339634
got pics of it?
>>
>>30340025
if you build the upper you should have a torque wrench and a vice at least. the rest of the tools are small things you should have anyway if you own firearms.
>>
>>30336223
built my first AR with vice grips, electrical tape, and a hammer.... Sorry you are an idiot?
>>
File: 2016-06-20 00.51.12.jpg (419 KB, 420x1333) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20 00.51.12.jpg
419 KB, 420x1333
>>30340051
>>30340051
>>
File: 2016-06-20 00.57.21.jpg (2 MB, 3672x1182) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20 00.57.21.jpg
2 MB, 3672x1182
>>30340051
>>30340051
>>
File: 2016-06-20 00.58.30.jpg (2 MB, 1506x3318) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20 00.58.30.jpg
2 MB, 1506x3318
>>
>>30336223

He's right.

Obviously it's only for mechnically inclined people. But seriously, fuck building uppers and shit. Lowers are tolerable besides the gay-ass roll pins that suck dick to install.
>>
File: 20160619_193152-1.jpg (2 MB, 1869x2676) Image search: [Google]
20160619_193152-1.jpg
2 MB, 1869x2676
>>
>>30336223
Nigga you can slap an AR together with a pair of vice grips a screwdriver and some elbow grease wtf are you on about?
>>
>>30334937
What optic is that?
>>
Similar boat here.

Going to get a handgun now since I want something small and handy and I can only afford one gun at the moment.

>primary use is trigger time at the range to git gud.
>secondary use is, God forbid, home defense. Not worried about it now, but if some civil unrest bullshit goes down after the election and there's rioting in my city, I want something to help me bunker down
>tertiary use is taking small game. I'd like to get into hunting, but I don't have a meat freezer and I don't know how to field dress a deer. I figure starting with squirrels and rabbits will be a good way to go.

A .22lr satisfies #1&3, but is fairly bullshit for #2. I was thinking of getting a 9mm Glock-brand Glocknade, but then I'm worried about exploding the heads of small game and I hear the .22lr conversion kits are garbage.

Pls help
>>
>>30334937
Build an AR from PSA. If you've got a bit more I'd say get a WASR ak, I think they run around 650 now.
>>
>>30340960
Also in a similar boat.

Got 2 rifles, 1 handgun personally (10/22, 03-A3, and a 92FS). I desperately need an AK or an AR right now, but I simply can't afford a good one (particularly an Arsenal AK) right now. The handgun is nice and all, neat and tidy and easier to conceal, but honestly anon, if I were in your position I'd go with the rifle.

SHTF and the rifle is going to be
1. Higher capacity
2. Probably more reliable and robust with parts easier to replace

If I were you, I'd go for the rifle first, handgun second later on down the line as an added bonus.
>>
>>30341003
Thanks for the response.

Other purchases I'd like to make, but will probably have to wait on, are a Mossberg 590 and Ruger 10/22. I'd fucking love an AR or AK, but there's a reason I'm not going for it right now.

My family is fairly anti-guns. I live a street away from my sister and brother-in-law and their kids, and am very close with them. They would be pretty uncomfortable knowing I had a firearm, and honestly their heads might explode if I got a baby killing full auto M16 or whatever the media is calling it these days. My girlfriend who I live with is also anti-gun, although she's respectful of my desire to get one and will learn to use it when I do, but she is also somewhat uncomfortable with the idea.

That's one of the reasons I want something more approachable. A handgun is small, easily locked away and hidden in the closet from little children, and less threatening to them. I want my guns to be friendly guns that I can use to warm them up to the idea of owning firearms.

I also plan on traveling extensively throughout the US and abroad within a year or two, and a handgun will be easier to transport and store.
>>
>>30341166
I suppose fair enough, given your circumstances, but you should still look into procuring a rifle ASAP.

>I also plan on traveling extensively throughout the US and abroad within a year or tow, and a handgun will be easier to transport and store

Well, don't get your hopes up too high on that. Domestic traveling (CA and NY especially), gun laws change per state and if they don't abide by certain regulations, you may not be able to keep it. Abroad however you just flat out can't take it through conventional means if you're planning on Air travel. May look into ways to circumvent.
>>
>>30341229
Definitely looking to get a rifle ASAP, but that's going to be contingent on my swaying the hearts and minds of my family. As far as my girlfriend goes, she'll warm up to it I'm sure. Once we move out of the city, it'll be a different story for her.

I don't plan on traveling with the guns (I'd like to take them with me when I move, but I don't plan on roadtripping with them or anything), especially overseas. When that time comes, I'll put them in storage.

So given my situation, what handgun would you recommend? I'm thinking a full-size 9mm Glock would be good (reliable, great aftermarket, popular weapon, even more popular cartridge), but I've also been contemplating a .22 pistol with a threaded barrel.
>>
>>30341331
That, honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell you. There are simply way too many handgun models and variants that it's an entirely personal choice.

I can recommend some brands to look at however. I'm pretty partial to Beretta's, gorgeous guns, amazing craftsmanship and overall reliability. Similarly for Rugers.

Just go to several LGS's around your town/city and ask to look at their stock, get some more (hopefully) professional opinions, and start finger fucking away. The handgun you get shouldn't be one you get just to get one, it should be one you feel comfortable using and (hopefully) are able to establish a bond with.
>>
>>30336223
>>30340025
>>30340087
>>30340403
>>30340783

MUH VICE GRIPS AND WOOD

i'd love to see you do that with a castle nut when you go to install the buffer tube.

you need an armorers wrench to put an AR together. lower AND upper.

upper ESPECIALLY.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.