[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartridges
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: boolits.jpg (151 KB, 800x551) Image search: [Google]
boolits.jpg
151 KB, 800x551
I've got several .30 and .303 caliber rifles. I'm looking to get something in the .270 to .22 caliber ranger for a varmint/maybe occasional deer gun. What cartridges does /k/ think are best? I do handload, but I'd like factory ammo to be available if possible.

I'm leaning toward .25-06, 6.5mm-06, or .270 because I love my .30-06, but I could be persuaded to use a different parent case. Something that would fit a shorter action might be nice. .220 Swift gives me a boner, but it burns out barrels too quickly. Give me some options and opinions, ladies and gents.
>>
Should have waited for night /k/ for a real gun question requiring knowledge of firearms.
>>
>>30155889
.243 win?
>>
>>30155889
>.243
>.22-250
>.260rem
>6mm Remington
>6.5 Creedmoor
>.25-06
>.257 Roberts
>6.5x55 Swedish Mauser
>7mm-08
All of them make decent varmint rounds (though shooting .25-06 or 7mm-08 at prairie dogs and gophers is a bit overkill). Everything but the .22-250 has factory ammo that's fine for deer anywhere in North America (and the .22-250 can be handloaded to be a fine deer round or factory ammo for the smaller ones east of the Mississippi or stuff like Sitka blacktail and Cou's whitetail).
>>
>>30156182
>>30156270
I'm liking that .243 idea. I want something over 3500 fps and that fills the bill. Ever shot one?
>>
>>30156396
I own 2. Second favorite caliber.
>>
>>30156396
>Ever shot one?
yes. I prefer 30-06 since I don't mind recoil and like having surplus ammo, but it was the perfect deer rifle for the 70 year old man that owned it.
>>
>>30156428
What's your favorite?

>>30156430
I have lots of milsurp and I love it. I'm thinking of getting something that looks more like a modern sporter, so I figured I'd get away from .30 caliber in the process.

I also have a bubbaed 6.5mm Jap receiver with a 16 or 18 inch barrel with a good bore. I'm thinking about getting a bolt and having that chambered in something in a 6.5mm round some time. Probably a Creedmoor, but I'll have to do some looking on case specs and ballistics before I make up my mind.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone has more ideas on something they've shot, please feel free to chime in.
>>
>>30156555
Favorite is .338-06AI. Slightly more powerful than .338WM but fits in standard actions, is cheaper to reload, and doesn't quite kick as bad.

But it's a wildcat.
>>
>>30156768
That's a buffalo-killin' thumper there. I always kind of wanted a .35 Whelen Improved, same basic idea.
>>
>>30156815
Cool thing is it can do more than just "thump" because of how wide of a range of bullets it'll shoot well.
>180gr @ nearly 3400fps for antelope inside 500m
>260gr for grizzlies/moose/airliners
>210gr for elk and caribou out to ~300m
The 180's are downright punishing to the shooter though. Very fast, violent recoil instead of a rolling push with the heavier stuff. Suppose it doesn't help my rifle weighs under 7lbs with optic loaded.
>>
>>30156990
One of the reasons I really like my .30-06 is the versatility, but anything over 220 grains is a no-go. That's what has me thinking a .35 Whelen would be fun. A lot of good babies have come from that parent case. .308 Winnie is kind of the same way.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.