[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Powder Revolvers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10
File: Dragoon Whitneyville.jpg (98 KB, 1500x820) Image search: [Google]
Dragoon Whitneyville.jpg
98 KB, 1500x820
Are they any cheaper to shoot?

I was thinking I might get a Uberti revolver, but I'm not sure if I should get a Dragoon, Navy, or Army. Does anyone have experience with any of these?
>>
>>30108952
Powder, balls, and caps for 100 shots runs about $45 from my lgs, but I use pyrodex pellets.
>>
>>30108952

I have an 1858 replica and a flintlock.

I think it's more expensive, all things considered and that I can buy 9mm by the box at Walmart and have to hunt around for caps and powder or pay hazmat fees to have BP shipped to me.

Also they have to be cleaned often (and the residue is nasty and has to be cleaned off quickly, usually. Like corrosive ammo.) and the whole thing is kinda a mess.

It fun though, and they're usually not considered firearms so you can just buy them cash and carry or ship them. Check your own laws though.
>>
>>30108952
Not any cheaper to shoot than a smokeless brass cartridge. I have my 38 special loads down to a cunt hair under 3 cents a round. I cast the bullet so a 2 cent primer and a cents worth of powder are my only costs.
>>
>>30109036
>>30108982
Thanks.

Also, I figure if shit hits the fan I can cast my own bullets and make the black powder, and explosive paper can't be that hard to make; at which point it's just a matter of making brass things to put it in.
>>
File: 1462260357045.jpg (131 KB, 1280x724) Image search: [Google]
1462260357045.jpg
131 KB, 1280x724
black powder shooter here
not big on flintlock, but caplock revolvers require a lot of shit. percussion caps, a specific size grain of black powder (because its not the same as the grain used in rifles) which goes about $10 per pound i think, enough oil to make love to your fat mother since black powder is so corrosive, you pretty much have to clean it every time you shoot it.

to answer your question. hell to the no. a good reproduction revolver runs you $500. anything cheaper than that will wear out in less than a few years
>>
File: PlgI3.jpg (389 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
PlgI3.jpg
389 KB, 2592x1944
>>30108952
get a Walker, they own
>>
>>30109203
You can make the caps out of aluminium cans. There is a YouTube video on the process.
>>
>>30108952
It does really depend on where you live.
In my country it costs between firing .22LR and 9mm.
For the beginner I would recomened either Colt Navy or Remington New Army
>>
File: ATF pls no.jpg (159 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ATF pls no.jpg
159 KB, 960x540
>>30108952
>Are they any cheaper to shoot?
Depends on how you shoot and how into it you want to go.

If you're me, whose gone balls deep and already grabbing something to go in the ass it can be tremendously cheaper in the long run. Though if you only plan on shooting it as a supplement to your regular shooting, it's better to just buy some pyrodex, a plastic measure and hornady balls.

Initial setup not counting the guns costed me about 100 bucks. but the lead furnace had a price tag of $50, so it's not to bad.

I spent 20 dollars on ingredients for powder, (yes it's legal to make your own powder.) but 5 pounds of the stuff lasts a good long while. accouterments like a powder measure, bullet mold, caps, flint and a powder horn took up the rest of the money.

My navy was like $250 plus tax and my flintlock was $300 plus tax.

So total price for me has been $650ish. about the same as a cheap AR like a Palmeto. but considering I've been shooting these every weekend since 13' i'd say I've saved more than I've spent sans gun cost.
Of course, i didn't do all this just to save money. it seems I've caught a fever, and the only prescription is more (cowbell) smoke.
>>
File: rulling31_stor.jpg (90 KB, 1000x594) Image search: [Google]
rulling31_stor.jpg
90 KB, 1000x594
>>30110792
I've also forgotten to mention grease and lubes.

For the revolvers, you'll hear a lot of fudd lore, no. putting lube around the chambers of a cylinder will not prevent chain fires. only correct sized ammunition will. lube serves to keep the fouling soft. it's easier to clean but on revolvers that's about it.

For rifles, lube serves to keep the fouling soft as well, but the biggest reason for it is for continued shooting. after 3-5 shots your gun will start to become harder and harder to load. but if you used greased patches the fouling will stay soft and you can shoot more before you'll eventually need to swab out your gun.

The substitute powders will be "harder" to clean. this is because black powder just needs hot water and soap. while you'll need something like Hoppes for the substitutes.
out of all the shooting I've done, I've never used grease on my revolvers.

I've also neglected to mention paper cartridges, but that's a sizable post in of itself.
>>
>>30108952
Can you shoot these at most ranges?

I mean actual ranges you have to find if you aren't blessed with land or being in hick country.
No magazines, no rapid fire, no large calibers, no fun, etc the bullshit ones you'd think are run by NOGUNS

Or do you have to have land somewhere for it
>>
>>30111130
>Can you shoot these at most ranges?
Unless you live in a shithole, any outdoor range will allow you. it's only indoor ranges that won't allow it for obvious smoke reasons.
>>
>>30111146
>Unless you live in a shithole
I literally can't find a range, outdoor or not, that will allow anything more fun than chamber feeding every single shot and if your whatever wasn't designed to function without a magazine inserted then go fuck yourself

I had to sight my AR by chamber feeding every single round

pretty sure the thought of just a fully loaded cylinder would make the rangemaster call the ATF and babble in tongues

Three different ranges, including the only outdoor range within reasonable driving distance.

I'm not sure if I live in a shit hole or not, since everyone else on /k/ seems to have access to ranges that are interchangable with abandoned quarries
>>
>>30111164
>I literally can't find a range, outdoor or not, that will allow anything more fun than chamber feeding every single shot and if your whatever wasn't designed to function without a magazine inserted then go fuck yourself
Yes, you live in a terrible place. what state?

I've yet to go to a range that disallows the use of magazines or multiple chambers.
>>
>>30111018
i heard that you should get ammo a bit bigger than the revolver is specced for, like .454 for .44 remington?
>>
>>30111184
WA
Granted some conditions I left out:
>Indoors allows magazines, but nothing bigger than .223 and distance is short
>Outdoors is by FUDD for FUDD hail FUDD praise FUDD by FUDD we shall see the light and ascend into the glorious heaven as promised by the almighty FUDD!
If I want to sight something past handgun ranges, it has to be chamberfed. If it's magazines, and respectable caliber ... then fuck you.

Of course the cost of ammo for my one bolt action fucking skyrocketed, and now I'm just plinking handguns.

I could drive further, but we've got the 2nd worse freeway/highway bullshit to California itself.
>>
>>30111226
For the revolvers, slightly oversized ammunition is best for a tight seal. now, for determining what sized ammunition to use is going to depend on your gun and who made your gun.

A .44 may well actually have a bore diameter of .454 or even .457. manufacturers also differ on their sizes. My Piettas have a bore of .451 and .357 so for the .44 i use .454 balls to shave off just a slight amount of lead to make an airtight (from the front end at least) seal. i use .360 diameter balls for my .36
>>
>>30111241
If you are in Seattle, I highly recommend Wades gun range, if you want to try out a gun, they usually have it to rent, which is free for members

>"""""no rapid fire"""""""
>30 rd mags all day
>no 50 cals but that's ok
>sparkling clean range and good lighting
>can use your own ammo once you are a member
>>
File: cartridges.jpg (137 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
cartridges.jpg
137 KB, 1200x800
>>30111018
Paper cartridges are a fun way of getting more shooting in if you're on a time crunch, but you don't need to be to use them of course.

For the sake of simplicity, we'll say there are two types of cartridges. You'll have tear cartridges and combustible cartridges.

The first paper cartridges were the tearing kind and were first made in the 16th century. but by the 18th they were the norm for military shooters. it's as simple as rolling a peice of somewhat thick paper like a newspaper or printer paper using a dowel, fitting one end with a ball or conical, adheasiving the paper to metal and after filling the rear with powder, tieing it off.
To use these cartridges, you bite or tear the rear off, fill your barrel with powder and use the paper around your projectile as a patch. simple stuff really.

Then you have combustibles. They only showed up after the cap lock mechanism was invented and you'll mostly see them for Revolvers.

they're made like tear cartridges, but your paper is soaked in a chemical that catches fire real easy and instead of tieng off, they'll usually be glued at the rear.
>>
File: cigarette-rolling-papers.jpg (213 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
cigarette-rolling-papers.jpg
213 KB, 1920x1440
>>30111488
Man, i keep forgetting shit in these paragraph sized posts.

For my revolvers, i use cigarette rolling papers to make tear cartridges.. they stick well to lead when you use saliva.
>>
>>
>>30111130
My indoor does not allow BP because of unburned powder
>>
>>30111527
>Anon licks lead and sticks rolling paper on
>>
>>30111488
Did someone say paper cartridges?!

It utilized a cartridge made of paper containing a projectile, powder and primer.
The firing pin, being needle shaped, pierced the rear of the paper cartridge, through the powder and then hitting the primer.

Also sick get m8 r8 14/88
>>
>>30112623
>licks lead
lolno.

apply saliva before you wrap. rolling papers are good for this because any of the good ones have a strip of adhesive on the side made for licking.
>>
File: PIC-21.jpg (1 MB, 4192x2664) Image search: [Google]
PIC-21.jpg
1 MB, 4192x2664
>>30112634
The french Chassepot is a fun rifle too.

>Also sick get m8 r8 14/88
I try.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.