[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ok /k/ i am looking at a reasonable "precision" rifle.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: wm_7515141.jpg (19 KB, 944x258) Image search: [Google]
wm_7515141.jpg
19 KB, 944x258
ok /k/ i am looking at a reasonable "precision" rifle. i am looking at either the Remington 700 or the savage 10. i can get them both for the same price so that doesnt matter. which one is better overall with accuracy?
>>
>>30095488
Tikka T3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNwb1I0Ii4
>>
get a Tikka instead.
>>
>>30095488
I have a savage 10fcp-sr
With boxed ammo Federal 168 sierra matchking the first 5 shot at 500y was 3 1/4 inch group with only 10 rounds through the gun total.
Ive been quite happy with it, only had it for a couple weeks. Working up handloads for it now with 185 grain Berger, lapua brass and varget.

I have one issue with the gun from factory, and that is the magazines fucking suck. the original fcp-sr had acis style mags, new one has proprietary and they push up rounds unevenly. So youll try to chamber the next round and NOPE. The mags are also hard to lock in as they have to be tilted into place.
>>
>>30095488
>>30096196
Also, the savage trigger is the best factory trigger ive ever seen, I had a Rem 700 in 300winmag that couldnt even compare. Savage is a very short crisp pull, mine was set at 2.2lbs from factory.
>>
>>30096196
I too purchased a new 10 fcp sr and the mag is the worst part of the gun. When I shot my first round the mag fell out. To be fair it was my fault because I didn't load in the mag right. Nevertheless, the mags are kinda shitty, but I love the gun a lot.
>>
Remington had the same issue with the Rem 700 .308

Theres videos of ot on youtube not stripping the bullets right and the casings getting stuck when working the bolt manually

Go watch aregularguy90 and his rem 700 vid
>>
File: 5555555555d.jpg (44 KB, 480x341) Image search: [Google]
5555555555d.jpg
44 KB, 480x341
>>30095488
You can find more aftermarket shit for the 700 (stocks, barrels, etc.) Than you will for the Savage. That being said, the Savage is probably the better made rifle.
>>
>not getting a Tikka T3
It's like you don't want an affordable rifle made on Sako tooling with 1 MOA or better guaranteed out of the box
>>
Barreled howa actions may be something to consider. I do like my tikka though.
>>
>>30095488
I have a Savage 99 in .300 savage. I love it. You should get a Savage and love it too.
>>
Other things to consider, if you want a Tikka with threaded barrel in 308 and magazine fed, then thats the T3 Tactical and they are more expensive by far, than the savage 10fcp-sr or rem 700 tactical. And the Tikka only has 1-11" rifling so less choice on heavier better BC projectiles.
The Ruger Precision rifle is another option if you are in the >1000 range, and you get a lot more features with it than anything in the price range.
With the savage rem or tikka have the MDT LSS chassis option for 400 bucks that gives you ACIS magwell, AR style grips and stocks which gets you close to ruger precision level.
>>
>>30095488
savage 10 ; good out of box, decent after market,
Rem 700 : Alright out of box huge after market,

Shoot through the first barrel on both and get a new one , trigger jobs are a must on either, tho the savage starts out nicer imo.

I've owned an FPC for 5 years and love it.
>>
>>30095488
Savage, and get the accutrigger
>>
>>30095488
Between the two? Savage. Remington production quality below a grand is garbage.
>>
>>30098453
$700 and under, not between the two. What is the absolute best .308? I'd like to be able to take a 1k shot if ever needed.
>>
>>30095640
>>30095616
>Any answer other than this is wrong.
Seriously do you fucking people that buy these shit remingtons even feel the bolts? They're garbage and sloppy. Come the fuck on.
>Savage shills under 1k can fuck off too.
>>
>>30099328
http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.tikka-t3-compact-tactical-rifle-bolt-action-308-win-20-barrel-stainless-finish-synthetic-stock-111-twist-10rd

Would this eventually get me to 1k yards?
>>
>>30099528
Bro, you don't get to 1k yards if you need to ask for opinions on long range rifles on /k/
Get any bolt action and shoot the barrel out, then you'll have an idea of what you need to do.
>>
>>30097526
>>30098453
All of this.
>>
>>30098453
Didn't use to be that way, but i hear that it is now.
That said, I'm wary of what i hear on this site, most people posting "opinions" are just nogunz shitposters anyhow
>>
Tikka>howa>savage>remington>mossberg in the budget rifles normally broight up on here. Buy a nice scope for your first rifle and yoi can mve it down the line as you upgrade.

Accitriggers are meh. Remington stock are cringy. Tikka howa r fantastic
>>
Are ruger precision rifles good or am I getting memed hard?
>>
>>30100271
Buy one in 6.5 and live happily ever after
>>
>>30100271
I personally would skip it and get a tikka varmint but thats based off handling other models of rugers and how lack luater the finish is.
>>
>>30099011
>1k
>308
that's really stretching it, it can make it, but stretching it
>>
>>30100285
Good luck finding one for decent price right now. I am actively looking to buy one. No luck.
>>
>>30101436
This.
>>
Great time to consider T3

They're slowly rolling out the Tikka T3X
It's really just a t3 with steel lugs, steel bolt shroud, some grip interchangeability, more foam in the stock, bigger ejection port, and more screws for a rail if you want.

In other words, if you already have a T3, there's no point to really change it up for a T3X since all the upgrades are easy and cheapish to do.
But if you don't have one yet, you're gonna get a factory T3 with all the stuff a lot of people asked for.
>>
>>30099583
>Didn't use to be that way
>Remshit
have you not googled or youtubed "Remington" and "QC" the last decade?
>>
File: RugerRPR1454378605543.jpg (54 KB, 745x420) Image search: [Google]
RugerRPR1454378605543.jpg
54 KB, 745x420
The new Tikka T3 is the path I'd walk now.
Or perhaps the Ruger Precision Rifle.
>>
>>30101970
> nothing happened before ten years ago
gb2 >>>/preskool/
>>
>>30102064
God damn but that stock is pugfugly. I wouldn't fuck that with your mother's dick.

Why do precision rifles always have to look like Johnny 5 fucked a Nokia?
>>
File: PIC_0425.jpg (924 KB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
PIC_0425.jpg
924 KB, 2816x2112
>>30102091
>God damn but that stock is pugfugly. I wouldn't fuck that with your mother's dick.

Go for a Tikka T3 then?

The new stocks are nice & you can get plenty of aftermarket stocks for them too if you want.

pic: Roedale aftermarket T3 stock.
>>
>>30102086
>nothing happened before ten years ago
They got bought out and QC went nosediving?
>>
>>30102137
Yes. Ten years ago they got bought out. Which is why anon said "it didn't USED TO be that way." And then some dipshit's like "YEAH BUT TEN YEARS AGO" like there wasn't a time before ten years ago, because that dipshit's probably 12.
>>
>>30100192
> mossberg
> below savage and rem
Savage, maybe, depending on model. Below Rem though?
>>
>>30102846
Mvps are utter dogshit. Go handle one.
>>
>>30102846
If youve not handled one i suggest you do. They feel cheap as fuck, the stocks that nossberg makes for them either feel like they are going to break in your hand (4x4) or feel like a plastic 2x4 that someone routered the edges down.

Remingtoms quality isnt that great either but at least with remington there is aftermarket support.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.