[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best anki deck for learning kanji? Also how long does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: m079.jpg (146 KB, 1182x1600) Image search: [Google]
m079.jpg
146 KB, 1182x1600
Whats the best anki deck for learning kanji? Also how long does it take until spoken Japanese becomes easier to follow, up until now I've just read and kind of processed the information slowly. Should I stop doing that and try and replace it more with listening practice?
>>
Arguably RTK, though your mileage may differ. You may also get some mileage out of the KanjiDamage deck.

As for how long it takes, I found that I could follow spoken text easier directly proportional to the amount of words I could identify/translate on the spot. If even one word I did not now appeared, I would often be thrown of for the rest of the sentence. Thus, the more vocabulary you know, the easier you will have it. Core6k is a solid place to start.
>>
File: 1397806989117.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1397806989117.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>15386381

Never heard of core6k, will search for some decks.

I've just started using flaschards, been using Genki for a couple of months and learnt the kana before that. I'm on lesson 6 and I'm just trying to get down all the vocabulary and details from every lesson before I move on.

I heard somebody recommend learning the kanji before anything else because you build up vocabulary as you go along and it makes it easier later. Sometimes I understand words better in context, like I can't always remember what verbs mean in ru form or whatever.
>>
>>15386391
Views differ on this issue. The opinion commonly voiced around here is that while yes, you should learn kanji, it is advisable to learn them in context with words you are also in the process of learning. While you could theoretically go ahead and grind all kanji ahead of time, it will be a great source of frustration, since you will have spent months learning them, but in the end, you still cannot put them to any use whatsoever until you learn their actual meanings and readings in context of vocabulary.

Personally, I got to about 1200 kanji early in my ``career'', but gave up afterwards and didn't look at Japanese for another year or two, and then simply started doing vocabulary cards. If I had to start over, I'd combine Core6k and RTK, learning each kanji associated with a word, and possibly also the kanji that make out the various ``elements'' of the kanji as prerequisites.

For example, for 輝く, there's 光, 日>車>軍. Granted, I don't know if this actually works all that well, but it's what I'd try.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
Core2k/6k for vocabulary and RTK for kanji, get on it!
>>
I am preparing for the N4 exam and found an Anki deck with the Genki books 1+2 vocab. I learned most of it already (without Anki) and just need to review. Can I somehow mark stuff as "learned"?
>>
>>15386391
Grinding single Kanji does nothing. Learn full words instead.
>>
>>15387069
Most decent kanji primers have a list of something from 4 to 10 sample compounds per kanji, you can't grind kanji alone even if you wanted to.
>>
>>15386973
If you hit easy a few times they'll start appearing less frequently, if it's just a few words then this is much faster, else you can go to browse->pick the deck you want to change->pick the cards you don't want to see anymore and click suspend.
>>
How long does it take till I can start playing japanese games? I heard that older games are easier to read because they were meant for kids but they still have a bunch of kanji and obviously you need some vocabulary.
>>
File: asjy1J1qzxglu.gif (209 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
asjy1J1qzxglu.gif
209 KB, 500x448
>>15387258
"Older games" were written like this and have a vocabulary no less complex than modern ones.
>>
I started doing the All in one Kanji - Heisig order deck recently.
It introduces a lot of difficult kanji early on and doesn't provide example phrases, although it does give you a list of common words that use the said kanji with each card. I personally find it more exciting than the core decks
>>
>>15387258
Go play some Japanese mobage then. The dialogue in those are generally pretty simple to start off, ignoring the jargon they might use.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.