[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Touhou Gameplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69
File: th022.jpg (218 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
th022.jpg
218 KB, 640x480
Don't take it easy and play Touhou! Now is fine.
>>
>>15342439
ill never be good at it

atleast i enjoy them i guess
>>
File: c8tLf86.jpg (95 KB, 834x960) Image search: [Google]
c8tLf86.jpg
95 KB, 834x960
Currently trying to 1cc UFO, I keep killing myself for those sweet red UFOs, why is it so frustrating.
>>
I beat EoSD on easy today for the first time. I think I'm getting better.
>>
>>15342880
How far are you getting? If you collect at maximum efficiency, you can fully stock up on lives by the end of stage 3, then pretty much not worry about it for the rest of the game. There are a couple easy places to collect in stage 5 as well, but you don't need to push yourself during stage 4, since it's kind of a clusterfuck.
>>
I still can't clear Stage 3 of LoLK even with Reisen. Something about Doremy's Spell Card that is different to most spell cards I've encountered.
>>
>>15342880
yeah it's the same for me, and makes me not want to play the game at all, I hate the UFO mechanic. I'd rather just keep practicing LoLK eventhough it's still too far too hard for me to 1cc.
>>
>>15342880
Greens, dumbass.

Go for greens. As long as you're capable of deathbombing you'll get way more "lives" out of greens.
>>
>>15343043
Going reds for the first 3 stages then going greens for the rest is probably the most effective strategy.
>>
>>15343043
It really depends on your playstyle. If you're confident in using bombs proactively and aren't worried about getting blindsided during stages, then going for bombs is indeed more efficient. However, deathbombing is pretty hard in 12, and collecting lives is just safer in general. But either way, you can easily collect more resources than you actually need (assuming that anon is playing on Normal); it's just a matter of preference.
>>
>>15342880
When I 1cc'd UFO, I invested in reds early and had max lives by about the end of Stage 3. The trick is, don't get too caught up with getting the UFOs that you start neglecting your dodging. Focus on learning patterns and if you happen to see a UFO in your way, grab it
Don't ever go for UFOs until you're confident you can get it without killing yourself.

Also, be sure to feed the giant UFO that shows up so you can continue chains. You'll rack up so much additional lives/bombs that the later stages will be cake.
>>
these threads suck because no one ever posts their scores
>>
>>15343331
b-but muh anonymity
>>
I have trouble playing Touhou games.Not because I suck at them(which I do),but because they make me sleepy.Does anyone else feel this/know why?I feel like this is the opposite reaction I should have to a high tension bullet hell.Just when I start to do good I want to lay down and sleep.
>>
>>15343399
because they are boring as fuck
>>
>>15343399
nope, never had this, maybe the games aren't for you
>>
>>15343399
>because they make me sleep
How? Is dodging a rain of bullets not exciting enough for you?
>>
>>15343331
I'm sure you're aware, but that was a dumb post.

Firstly, there just aren't as many people who are at the level of doing score runs. There will always be more people who are just playing to get clears on whatever difficulty, and since these threads get few enough posters already, you're in a particularly tiny minority.

Secondly, posting scores does not lead to good discussion. What is there to say? Do you just want a circlejerk with everyone congratulating each other? Unless you manage to do something like set a new world record or figure out some brilliant new route, posting scores is basically just asking for attention.

Finally, if you do want to compare scores with others, there are websites for that. This is hardly the place to record your achievements; it's transient, it's anonymous, and frankly, nobody here cares. You'd be better off posting on a forum with like-minded people.

Also, if you're so skilled, you could contribute something useful and help others get good instead of just whining.

>>15343399
Are you getting tired out from concentrating too hard? Or is it that you're retrying the same stage(s) repeatedly and getting bored by the repetition?
>>
>>15343579
I do tend to restart runs alot if I make stupid mistakes in the early levels.That could definetley be why.
>>
File: th023.jpg (245 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
th023.jpg
245 KB, 640x480
>>15343331
I felt like playing this, so I did a couple credits. Here's my score.
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=40533
Too bad nobody cares about PoFV.
>>
>>15343714
Dead Parrot - Looks like my standard day out on that game especially playing against a certain character with the initials SI ).

By the way how do you get those replays to work, I download gibberish every time?
>>
>>15343747
ctrl+s on the "gibberish" download page to save it as a .rpy file.
>>
File: 1UvZ7pd4Aek.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1UvZ7pd4Aek.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
Sometimes I think that I'm super cool pro and dodging all the shit at extremely high speed.
>>
>>15343769
Too bad that superior feeling aint last for too long.
>>
>>15343579
>posting scores is basically just asking for attention
>however posting your clears is perfectly fine
you sure do suck at white-knighting
>>
>>15343789
Don't abuse the quote function, especially to put words in other people's mouths.

Just posting that you got a clear doesn't really lead to any discussion, either. It's barely preferable to posting scores. Both of them are pretty much only meaningful to the person who achieved them, unless the score is some kind of record.

Asking for help with specific things, on the other hand, can lead to discussion and debate about strategy. There's also general discussion that doesn't involve asking for help, but just sharing strategies, experiences, and thoughts about the games. There's all sorts of stuff to talk about, but simply saying "I did this thing, everyone praise me" is not a good way to go about it.
>>
>>15343976
>"I did this thing, everyone praise me" is not a good way to go about it.
I disagree. I generally like seeing other people's achievements, and don't mind them talking about it. If they do, I can ask them questions about it as well, which leads to discussion. If someone posts a score, then someone else may be inclined to watch the replay, and either learn a thing or two, or maybe help out the poster with some mistakes they made. It's nice knowing that other people are scoring, and that oftentimes inspires me to practice harder. Scoring in dead categories isn't very fun, and it's great to have some competition, knowing that other people are struggling with or excelling at the same things that you are. Although with how many categories there are, and how few players are interested in scoring, you'd be lucky if even a small handful of other people take your category seriously, especially people who speak the same language that you do.

Also, there's nothing wrong with wanting to show off your hard work, so long as you aren't spamming it or using it to belittle others.
>>
How do you feel about gamepads vs. keyboard controls?I understand this is kind of controversial but I bought a Sega Saturn controller(the good one,not the fat one) and have found myself doing a lot better at the games.I'd also love to make a simple 2hu arcade machine in the future if I have the time.
>>
>>15344134
If I had a saturn pad I'd try it as well for shooters, but I've only ever had controllers with really bad dpads. Funny enough the best dpad I've ever used is the NDS fat dpad, would love to have a controller with something like that.

An arcade pad would be nice as well, been thinking of getting or building one purely for shooters.
>>
Why doesn't anyone ever host PoFV anymore?
>>
>>15344134
Pad can be just as good as keyboard, although perhaps keyboard can be a bit more precise for some things, and a mechanical keyboard will last longer. Some really strong players use pad, for example Gobou who has the SA overall WR with Reimu A, among other things.

Pads can also save you from carpal tunnel. I've only ever used keyboard though.

>>15344158
I could host to play with people who aren't in Europe/Asia. Not a fan of high latency.
>>
>>15344134
I use a PS3 controller because that's what I'm most comfortable with. I never use a keyboard much for gaming.
>>
>>15344155
The saturn pad works great for shooters and emulation.If you have $40 to spare I definetley recommend picking up a good condition V2 NA controller or the standard Japanese controller from Ebay and a USB adapter for it.
>>
File: 140245909636.jpg (317 KB, 1034x768) Image search: [Google]
140245909636.jpg
317 KB, 1034x768
>>15344195
>I could host to play with people who aren't in Europe/Asia.
I'm so unlucky.
>>
>>15344199
I couldn't imagine using a playstation Dpad for anything,much less a vertical shooter.I remember trying to play Darkstalkers on PS1 and it wreaking hell on my thumb.
>>
>>15344218
might not be a bad idea, I'll look into the market
>>
Currently trying to 1CC PCB on Hard. I always delude myself into thinking it's easy, but I always start dying around Stage 3/4. Not to mention that I'm generally slow when it comes to deathbombing, at the very least. Should I just stick with Normal for a while, or would it be better to challenge myself?
>>
>>15344242
I don't use the dpad.
>>
File: th000.jpg (177 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
th000.jpg
177 KB, 640x480
>>15344261
If you haven't 1cced normal, then you could go do that first, but probably better to challenge yourself with hard, unless it feels too overwhelming.

>>15344221
Feels bad. You can always play with yourself though.

Or hell, actually you know what. I'll host. Might not play very long if there's too much lag though.
Adonis 2
port 17723
>>
>>15344336
I'm getting a failure to communicate when I try connecting.
>>
I just got my first hard 1cc with MoF. It was a lot of fun. Took me 4 times today getting to Kanako's last spell card to get it. It just falls apart for me after my first bomb on it. I can't get a good rhythm going again or something.

I really like her music. It's one of my favorite boss themes.
>>
>>15344360
Damn, well I'm not sure why that would be. I had that problem with another person before, but was able to connect with others. I've forwarded the port with my router, so unless there's some sort of problem with my firewall (which I don't think there is), then I'm at a loss.
>>
File: 54893792_p41.png (534 KB, 610x885) Image search: [Google]
54893792_p41.png
534 KB, 610x885
Is there a method to Shotgun/Shining Coronation of the Gods as Sanae, or am I just supposed to do it as depicted?
>>
I'd love to play PoFV against some /jp/sies. Not right now, but I can host in the afternoons and evenings during the week if anyone is around.

>>15344418
Yeah, that spell can be difficult to get a grip on, and difficult to practice, being the final one. You just have to aggressively keep to the center and not be afraid to go through, rather than around, when necessary. That whole fight is pretty fun though, definitely one of my favorites.
>>
File: cant_beat_me.png (45 KB, 1075x674) Image search: [Google]
cant_beat_me.png
45 KB, 1075x674
Can't beat the strongest migga.

Chalenging everyone itt to beat my 392.470 todays world record.
>>
>>15343331
I just assume very few people are able to do high difficulty score runs reliably. I assume it goes Clear -> 1cc -> Score for many people, and a lot of people would prefer trying to 1cc most if not all of the Windows games and try different shot types before going for score, unless you overwhelmingly love one touhou game over another.
>>
>>15344827
For me I 1cc all shot types I like, then 1cc hard with my favorite, then extra with my favorite before moving on to the next game
>>
File: no.png (67 KB, 193x220) Image search: [Google]
no.png
67 KB, 193x220
>>15344827
My migga this is aint some anime boy. You fight yokai cuz you were born fightah.
>>
>>15344827
There was only a single shot type (SakuyaB in 14) that I didn't get a Normal 1cc with before starting on Hard, and it still bothers me.
>>
File: 1443403092562.gif (186 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
1443403092562.gif
186 KB, 345x345
What's your favorite Touhou to 1cc /jp/?
>>
>>15345922
Subterranean Animism. It's my game of choice for when I feel like playing some 2hu but not stressing out over a challenge. Okuu's fight is hype as fuck and all the music is top-tier.
>>
>>15345922
I enjoy 1cc'ing them all on stick.

On keyboard it's just business, because I am too precise with the keyboard...
>>
File: 1449001384005.png (85 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
1449001384005.png
85 KB, 246x246
>mfw I'll never be able to 1CC a game correctly
It hurts.
>>
>>15345922

Lotus Land Story. It was my first Lunatic and Extra clear.
>>
File: 1446539212170.jpg (52 KB, 210x453) Image search: [Google]
1446539212170.jpg
52 KB, 210x453
>>15348016
How do you 1CC a game incorrectly?
>>
>>15348016
What's a correct 1cc?
>>
>>15348047
Adding extra lives.
>>
>>15348051
Is using the focus button also cheating?
>>
>>15348055
So, you consider a 1CC starting with 5 lives the same as a 1CC 3 lives? That's new.
>>
>>15348059
I considering that if a game lets you do something without glitching or using cheat codes, then it's legit.
>>
>>15348016
How many hours have you put into it? It takes me a long time to get any of my 1ccs. Seems to me if you can beat it with extra lives you can beat it with the default. It's just going to take a lot of practice.
>>
>>15348078
I've stopped counting. Though if we are to trust >>15348076 then I actually DID 1CC EoSD not so long ago. I'm just playing a bit almost everyday. Perhaps a few hours, sometimes not because I try to juggle my life as a functional being as well. If starting with 5 is okay, then I keep at it until I can reduce them. But still, it's kinda frustrating to see people 1CC Lunatic mode while I'm stuck in Normal mode.
>>
>>15348047
I dunno if abusing MoF MarisaB 3.00-3.95 Power bug would count as a correct 1cc.
>>
>>15348094
That's a glitch, it's not something the game inteded, unlike the lives handicap.
>>
>>15348090
Those people doing lunatic I assume have years of experience playing shmup games. EoSD doesn't have a playtime counter unlike the other games. Touhou was my first shmup and it's taken me on average 30 hours a game to beat. I only just finished beating the normal modes very recently. It's going to take a long time at least from my experience. I don't get sick of playing them so it's fun for me. It can get frustrating at times though.
>>
>>15348090
and as far as if 5 lives is ok or not that's up to you. You can enjoy these games at all different levels. There's different difficulty levels, no bomb runs, no deaths. Just enjoy the game.
>>
>>15348151
No, you are supposed to beat the games with one hand, blindfolded and getting the maximum possible score.
That's the way ZUN intended.
>>
>>15348151
And as far as legit 1ccing goes. There's different shot types that make it a lot easier and in some games ways to accumulate tons of resources that makes things a lot easier. They're all legit.

One thing that I like about these games is there's always a way to keep challenging yourself and It feels great to overcome those challenges.
>>
>>15348090
>If starting with 5 is okay
you can do whatever you want and all, but that feels definitely illegitimate to me

You start with a few and through your own skill MAKE more lives and avoid deaths, right? Giving yourself a handicap and counting it the same as if you started with the default amount of lives frankly seems rather lame to me. I wouldn't take any pride in doing it, at least.
>>
>>15348193
>Giving yourself a handicap
But that's exactly what your are doing by not using every live available.
A 1CC is a 1CC, you can't say it's only a fake
>>
>>15348198
What? I don't know what you mean.

The idea is that you beat the game without seeing the continue screen. You finish it whether you died or not, but real success is based on never seeing game over.

With most of the games (not all, I think PoFV is different if I remember right) you start with 2 lives. By learning to score better and understanding the systems you grant yourself more lives and therefore more chances in case you ever screw up.

But if you give yourself more lives to start with than the game gives you by default, you aren't forcing yourself to improve as much as you could and are giving yourself more chances to stumble without LEARNING how to naturally due that within the context of the game (grazing, bombing at the right time, scoring, and in most cases capturing or surviving spell cards).

Furthermore if you do that I don't think it really ought to count the same as someone who completed a 1CC without fiddling and giving themselves more chances.
>>
>>15348198
1CCs must always be done on default settings. Don't justify your incompetent play-style by making excuses, stop pretending that you're doing it the legit way. No half-decent player will take you seriously.
>>
>>15348193
It feels illegitimate to me too. I think everyone assumes you're using default lives when you say you've 1cc'd a game here. I don't want to make people not challenge themselves by saying it's ok not to do it with default lives.

You can do it. It's not easy and it's going take time but you can do it. Keep at it.
>>
>>15348193
The problem is that it gets very frustrating to restart games again and again because of bad positioning. I get I'll simply try to do 5 lives 1CC for now and progressively reduce if I can. It should be more enjoyable while still having me focus on every little bit of resource.
>>
>>15348237
>>15348228
I have a lunatic 1cc on EoSD.
Would you say it's fake because I didn't handicap myself?
>>
>>15348295
I...again, what?

If you're saying you 1CCd Lunatic difficulty without messing with anything why would anyone say it's fake?
>>
>>15348320
Because apparently, if you touch the options you are given then it's not legit.
>>
>>15348291
>I get I'll simply try to do 5 lives 1CC for now and progressively reduce if I can. It should be more enjoyable while still having me focus on every little bit of resource.
If playing for legit 1CCs is not enjoyable to you. Maybe you should stop going for them entirely? It's better than doing these half-assed 1CCs you're doing now.

>>15348295
>Would you say it's fake because I didn't handicap myself?
It's not legit unless you were using default lives/settings.

Though I'd consider starting with less than default lives as an okay handicap.
>>
>>15348330
Wait, are you trying to say WE'RE saying easy or normal don't count or something, or that only normal counts? No, idiot. Why are you being deliberately retarded?

The default settings of whatever difficulty your playing, obviously. I'd consider an easy 1CC legit. Most of the games don't treat you well if you choose easy, but who cares if you managed even that you managed something special.
>>
>>15348291
what >>15348334 saod
>If playing for legit 1CCs is not enjoyable to you. Maybe you should stop going for them entirely? It's better than doing these half-assed 1CCs you're doing now.

I'm not blaming you or anything, just telling it like it is. *I* haven't even 1CC'd a game. I've PLAYED all of them, gotten a fair amount of the way with a few, but 1CC-ing is beyond my current skill level. Maybe one day.

If you're still at this kind of level you should mainly be satisfied with finishing the game at all, or just seeing how far you can get while playing normally. Watch 1CCs, too, for studying.
>>
>>15348337
I think he means he 1cc'd lunatic with higher than default lives. An anon said a few posts back that not cranking the lives up in options is handicapping you.

I don't think it's a legit lunatic 1cc. Doing it with default lives is harder. I do recognize that beating it on lunatic with the extra lives is still hard.

I mean I don't know. I keep contradicting myself in my head. It's at least not fair to treat a 1cc with default lives and one without as equal.
>>
>>15348446
>Changing the res, windowed mode, SFX/Music and key layout is part of the game settings. By your logic, if I changed any of those settings then all of my runs would be illegitimate.
I'm not even going to try anymore.

>What does this even mean? Playing a game for the wrong reasons?
Because games are games. If people become obsessed with them or they become less than a form of amusement or entertainment, I believe they should be dropped.

Forcing yourself to play something you derive no enjoyment from, that is to me a wrong reason to be playing a game.
>>
File: 1438470575588.png (78 KB, 280x320) Image search: [Google]
1438470575588.png
78 KB, 280x320
>mfw a single word in my message was responsible for this mess
Butterfly effect, huh.
>>
File: 1281417651637.jpg (61 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1281417651637.jpg
61 KB, 240x320
It's time to move on.
>>
>>15348556
he could at least delete all the posts intead of cherrypicking
>>
File: illfiteu.jpg (76 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
illfiteu.jpg
76 KB, 640x480
>>15344530
It's not much, but here, this is mine.
>>
FUCKING YUUGI

Anyone have any tips for this boss? I think I have a harder time with Mysterious Powers and Disrupting Spirits than any spell in stage 4.
>>
>>15348865
Her midboss spell is static, so figure out a route by practicing it in stage practice or the SA practice hack mentioned here >>15330213 Watching a replay could help too.

>>15344360
>>15344449
I hosted and played with someone else yesterday, so it must be something on your end or some sort of compatibility issue between us.
>>
>>15348865
Her lasers go in a more predictable pattern than you might think. Try to learn where the safe spots are and you can dodge those without an issue.

I hate that spellcard too. What I did was wait until most of the bullets went off and once I was completely surrounded, I used a bomb. She usually can't get a second round off, depending on the bomb.
>>
>>15348910
>I hosted and played with someone else yesterday, so it must be something on your end or some sort of compatibility issue between us.
I also played with another host yesterday. I wonder what the issue between us might be.
>>
File: centbitdismigga.png (24 KB, 636x397) Image search: [Google]
centbitdismigga.png
24 KB, 636x397
>>15348642
I see your best points is 754.655 then take this.
>>
>>15348865
It's hard for sure, but I still think stage 4 is harder.

SA is weird in that stages 3 and 4 are harder than 5 and 6, which are basically pushovers if you play them right. Granted Orin is hard as shit but Okuu isn't even that bad. Stage 4 is honestly the hardest part of the game, if you can get past that and have some practice with Orin you've pretty much got the game in the bag.
>>
>>15350178
I found stage 4 to be pretty easy to learn, whereas stage 5 gave me trouble for the longest time, in the end stage 5 became all about planning the bombs whereas stage 4 was easy to do flawlessly, not counting Satorin herself (who is still easier than Orin). Talking Normal here of course.
>>
>>15350178
I don't see the difficulty in stages 3 and 4. 3 is just streaming with some lasers in the way, and 4 is a barrage of seals that make it difficult to see but are easy to dodge. Both are pretty much trivial as long as you move slowly and carefully, and believe in the power of streaming. I often bomb through Storm on Mt Ooe, and depending on the character Satori can have a couple difficult cards, but neither one should use up too many resources.

On the other hand, I still don't know how to play stage 5, and Rin is even harder for me than Shou. In terms of resources used, stage 5 and Rin are worse than the rest of the game combined.
>>
>>15345922
LLS, MS and PCB.
>>
>>15350239
I've been playing Hard a lot recently so my viewpoint is different from yours.

>stage 5 became all about planning the bombs whereas stage 4 was easy to do flawlessly

It's the opposite for me. Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, but did you know that not shooting the ghosts(besides at the part with the tiny black and white danmaku) makes the stage significantly easier?

>>15350780
>3 is just streaming with some lasers in the way

The problem I have with 3 is streaming the blue bullets with lasers in the way with Yuugi shooting her 3 waved danmaku at you at the same time. I always bomb or die at least once at that part.

>I often bomb through Storm on Mt Ooe

I did at first but now I think it's her second-easiest card, the first being Shackles a Criminal Can't Remove. I mean, wow, what an easy card. I actually don't think there is an easier spellcard in the whole series. But anyway, I digress. With practice Storm on Mt Ooe becomes very easy and I usually capture it. I find all of her cards are that way, honestly, and I have more trouble(significantly more, actually) with her nonspells.
>>
>>15350848
On Normal, Storm isn't too bad. I can capture it, but usually end up bombing to save time and reduce the chance of a slip-up. After all, the only other part that might require a bomb is the nonspell immediately after, and then I can fill up on power again during stage 4.

The few attempts I've made on Hard, it absolutely crushed me. I've always been bad at multi-directional attacks anyway, and that one is just killer. Like, I can't even make a good attempt at it.

As for Yuugi's stage attacks, at least on Normal, there just isn't enough density that I find it troublesome. You can stream it all with just one pass in each direction.
>>
>>15350848
>did you know that not shooting the ghosts(besides at the part with the tiny black and white danmaku) makes the stage significantly easier?

Yup, it's just the part after the midboss cards when the ghosts spawn bullets on idle and the fast fairies with the wide shots where I have to bomb atleast once or twice, far too easy to die accidentally.
>>
What was ZUN thinking when he made it so that if you capture Rin's card on stage 6 you get to deal with more bullshit than if you didn't? Its literally easier to just deal with 35 seconds of Rin than the rest of the stage enemies.
>>
>>15352063
Just time down her midboss nonspells a bit, and then after that try and kill catwalk as fast as possible. I can't see how dealing with catwalk is any easier than the stage, it's a hard spell.
>>
>>15352072
That's stage 5; the other anon said stage 6, where the spell card is Blazing Wheel and it's followed by lines of fairies that come from various places around the screen and shoot aimed bullets. Depending on your shot type, it can be very easy to get cornered by them.

There were a lot of strange choices made in 11, purposely or not.
>>
File: 123.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
123.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>15352093
Oh sorry about my bad reading comprehension.

>Depending on your shot type
That part with the blue kunai lines seems pretty easy with ReimuA, but yeah could be hard with some of the other shots if you don't kill them or have low power.
>>
>>15352203
Huh, yeah, those lines of fairies are before Rin, not after. I misremembered.

>>15352063
What do you have trouble with there? It's just a bunch of vertical bullets from the ravens and then some radial ones from the spirits.
>>
Anyone else get totally obssessed with collecting items and powerups and just restart the game if they don't get a perfect?

I have been playing for years, but I never beat any games because I obsess about that instead of surviving and figuring out spell cards

how do I change my mindset?
>>
>>15352237
It's good to have a slight obsession with the P items since they give you power, especially in stage 1.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. If you're playing for score this is not the wrong mindset but having some points drop below the screen is not a big deal to say the least. I mean if you know you care more about the items than you should what can I say to you? Sure in some games the point items can give you a 1-up but the amount needed is extremely high so not collecting a few of them is no big deal.

I mean I don't think there's anything anybody can say. You have a somewhat unique problem, though. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you really like collectathons?
>>
>>15352237
I'd do a sloppy 1cc without too much item grabbing if you already haven't, and afterwards if you're interested in picking up items and getting more out of the game, go watch some replays and try and figure out scoring.
>>
>>15343399
This happens to me too for some reason. Watching perfect lunatic 1ccs helps me fall asleep
>>
File: tumblr_m81nnl4Z7T1r4zjplo1_250.gif (96 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m81nnl4Z7T1r4zjplo1_250.gif
96 KB, 150x150
>>15342897
>I beat EoSD on easy today.

It would be a shame if someone prevented you from completing the whole game.

Will you play Normal next?
>>
>>15353516
I remember defeating easy without continues for the first time on EoSD a few months ago. It was the second game I did so, after LLS.
Then I stopped using Windows, and thus stopped playing Touhou. I hope the other anon has better luck.
>>
>>15344473
There is a safe spot right under sagume, just make sure your hitbox is inside the life bar and don't get to close to sagume 'cuz she has a hurtbox. It should work for every character so it's good for speed killing that spell
>>
>>15353730
I know, man. Hence "as depicted." I was wondering if there was a sensible way to do it other than that as Sanae. Her shots make the screen a clusterfuck, and hitting Sagume with them is near impossible.
>>
I just realized while working on hard and the extra in IN you can auto collect without max power if you go focused above the poc line. Also I didn't realize I could practice the spell cards for the extra in spell practice mode neither or I would have tried it a long time ago. That has made it so much easier. I'm 2 spell cards away from beating it.
>>
>>15353768
tried sanae against her in pointdevice and only way to consistently survive was to either use safe spot or just time it out by not shooting at all, dealing damage just doesn't work
>>
>>15353585
That's nice, Richardo. I'm pretty sure you can play them through Wine or whatever it is you guys use. But around here, the important point for OS is SHMUP games. We don't care about Freedom.
>>
>>15354379
Last I checked, I think most of the Touhou games work on WINE.
>>
>>15354379
>>15355543
Haven't tried every single one of the win games but out of the ones I've tried (including LoLK), only EoSD has had some problems, which was music not playing. From what I understand that doesn't happen to everyone.
>>
>>15354379
>implying Wine works on my OS
Wine for the most part only works on GNU/Linux, and my OS doesn't have a GNU/Linux compatibility layer.
>>
>>15355974
Please take your Cave shitposting elsewhere.
>>
>>15355974
They're simply the most enjoyable to play.
>>
>>15355816
What the hell are you using then? FreeBSD?
>>
By the way, I've just started playing 2hu, beginning with PCB (since that was the first one I could find).
>>
>>15356494
Tell me more.
>>
>>15354111
That was my experience as well. Thanks for replying anyway. Fucking Sanae and her gung-ho explosive god damn shots...
>>
>>15356522
Not sure what else there is to say. Even on easy mode, I've only managed a couple levels.
>>
File: th15_013.jpg (260 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
th15_013.jpg
260 KB, 1280x960
>>15344134
I think I've kind of 'spoiled' myself with using a gamepad. When I first started playing (with EoSD) I was only using keyboard, and I managed to normal 1cc (and did so for most of the other games).

When I first tried using a pad and it felt kind of weird at first, since I felt the keyboard allowed for more precise movements.

I don't exactly know when but, after a while I started to get better with the gamepad and now I use it exclusively (and managed to clear UFO and SA with it).

I tried going back to keyboard and I found I did worse than I normally would.

>>15345922
Now that I got a hang of being able to clear it, SA. A close second would be EoSD.
>>
>>15356551
Don't feel compelled to 1cc the game. Focus on clearing using continues at first, then you can aim for a 1cc. Trying to 1cc your first shmup (which I assume it is for you) without using continues first is pretty brutal, even for an easier one like PCB. Also, the amount of progress you're making will be more clear; first a completion, then a 3cc, then a 2cc, then the 1cc.
>>
>>15356798
I'm so new, I can't even understand your post. What's a cc?
>>
>>15356811
cubic centimetre
>>
>>15356811
> What's a cc?
Credit Clear

A 1 Credit Clear (think of the word credit in arcade terms) meaning you beat the game without using continues.
>>
>>15356798
>Trying to 1cc your first shmup (which I assume it is for you) without using continues first is pretty brutal
What? No, that's bullshit. I royally suck at all video games, had never played a shmup, yet still managed to to 1cc my first Touhou on Normal without using extra credits, or extra lives, or playing on Easy first. It's really not that hard.

Tripfriend-san, just stick with it. It may take you weeks or months, but you can get a good ending in 7 with a bit of effort. Using a continue to unlock a stage for practice, or playing on Easy just to get an idea of the stage layout, is fine, but don't overdo it. Push yourself a bit and go right for a good ending; you'll be fine.

I hate to be one of those elitist 'git gud' fags, but really, there's only so much you can coddle new players.
>>
>>15356112
OpenBSD.
FreeBSD does have a GNU/Linux compatibility layer. I'll just wait until I'm using Windows again though.
>>
>>15355974
>Touhou-only fags
What makes you think I only play Touhou? You should go back to your dead /vr/ threads.
>>
File: 1445528382043.png (455 KB, 569x928) Image search: [Google]
1445528382043.png
455 KB, 569x928
>>15356822
I was going to make that joke myself, but then I remembered it's officially deprecated in favor of ml.

>>15356861
Thank you for clearing that up.
>>
>>15356940
I don't know what prior experience you had with video games and what rig you were using, but from my perspective, getting a 1cc on the first try on normal puts you in a totally different league than me. It says I'm 40% through... on Easy, with 5 continues set. And that's only after several hours. I don't know if it's just my laptop's keyboard, but I feel I have barely any control over the damn thing, and I manage to avoid getting hit only by sheer luck.

Dunno. I haven't really been into the gaming scene since I was like, 14 or something. Maybe I'll improve. Time will tell.
>>
>>15344134
Perhaps this is because I've only played using a PS4 controller, but my experience with pads have been less than stellar. I use the d-pad, though, so perhaps my experience would be better using the analog stick. Additionally, I haven't bothered to try the games with a joystick that has an octagonal gate--I've heard that the GameCube controller actually works pretty well with shmups.

Overall, I would say that pad is considerably worse than keyboard and stick. Between the latter two, it really depends on the game; games with denser patterns or more focus on streaming (i.e. LoLK, PCB) are easier with a keyboard, and games with looser but more random patterns (i.e. EoSD, MS) are easier with a stick.

>>15357828
Personally, I think that PCB is pretty overwhelming to a new player, so you might want to try to clear a different game first. I consider 6 and 10 to be the most beginner friendly, due to having simpler patterns and mechanics. If you don't mind emulating, 4 is a better choice. I suggest using npfm2gen to emulate.

Also, regarding your problem with having "barely any control," try using vpatch. The first few Windows games have problems with input lag, so that might help.
>>
>>15344134
Yeah, as I was playing 2hu, I thought to myself, "this would make a really great arcade game!" Not that many people play them anymore, but they keep kids entertained at movie theaters and such.
>>
>>15356940
>What? No, that's bullshit. I royally suck at all video games, had never played a shmup, yet still managed to to 1cc my first Touhou on Normal without using extra credits, or extra lives, or playing on Easy first.

Are you actually retarded? Using continues means being exposed to more of the game than if you didn't. This is way more beginner friendly than trying to 1cc right off the bat. Using continues to get a bad ending, then proceeding to 1cc will provide results in the shortest amount of time. Trying to 1cc means he will repeat the same part over and over again until he gets it, then proceed to get raped by the next part. Meanwhile continuing gives him more exposure to all of the game and therefore he won't get raped (as hard) as if he was just trying to 1cc. Not only is forcing newbies to 1cc their first shmup very difficult on the part of the newbie, it's also disheartening. Him saying "fuck it" and quitting is much more likely if he tries to 1cc, and especially since, no offense, but only getting through 40% of the game on easy mode on one of the easiest touhous after several hours of practice isn't the best one could hope for, to put it lightly.

So maybe you forced yourself to 1cc your first shmup. Good for you, but sorry to say that is not the most efficient way to do it, especially for beginners. Continuing will give him results faster and make him feel like less of a scrub since he will be able to see himself get better more clearly rather than simply banging his head against stage 2 until he gets it.

>I hate to be one of those elitist 'git gud' fags, but really, there's only so much you can coddle new players.

Well first off, what the fuck does this even mean? I could tell him not to go for a 1cc at all and to use as many default lives as I could, so there is more I could be doing to "coddle" him. Secondly, as long as he goes on to 1cc and realize the value of 1ccing, there is no reason for him to not continue and not jump straight into a 1cc.

So seeing as how there is no reason to go for a 1cc on his first shmup, yes, you are being an elitist git gud fag. Shut the fuck up and stop forcing your arbitrary standards on others, especially when they impede growth rather than promote it.
>>
ulil is shit
>>
>>15357828
No, not on the first try. Hell no. After several months. Just, without getting any other clears first.

As the other anon said, try using vpatch. And read the gameplay page on the wiki to make sure you're not missing anything important.

>>15358078
It's not an arbitrary standard; I'm suggesting he go for the minimum necessary to get a good ending. The way I see it, practicing each part and getting decent at it before moving on is the better way to learn, since you deal with problem areas one at a time. Either way, you're going to replay it over and over, so don't use that excuse. And talk about disheartening; he'll get his first 'clear', but it won't mean shit and he'll get a bad ending. That doesn't foster a sense of achievement.

And there's no point to playing on Easy for any serious amount of time, because even if you learn to perfect it, the game is totally different on Normal. Maybe to learn basic techniques or whatever, but even then, the (lack of) bullet density and speed won't really prepare you for the actual game.
>>
>>15359327
>It's not an arbitrary standard; I'm suggesting he go for the minimum necessary to get a good ending. The way I see it, practicing each part and getting decent at it before moving on is the better way to learn, since you deal with problem areas one at a time.

This is less efficient than learning the whole game at once.

>Either way, you're going to replay it over and over, so don't use that excuse.

You'll replay it less using this method. As I've said time and again, it's a more efficient way to obtain a 1cc; even for pros.

>And talk about disheartening; he'll get his first 'clear', but it won't mean shit and he'll get a bad ending. That doesn't foster a sense of achievement.

It's a hell of a lot of progress compared to not even getting past 40%. Rather than feeling nothing for weeks or even months he'll be able to see himself improve.

>And there's no point to playing on Easy for any serious amount of time, because even if you learn to perfect it, the game is totally different on Normal.

It is very different, but it's still very valuable experience. The patterns remain the same, they're just harder. Like Hard is an easier version of Lunatic, Easy is an easier version than Normal. He'll be able to practice patterns that would normally overwhelm him.

>Maybe to learn basic techniques or whatever, but even then, the (lack of) bullet density and speed won't really prepare you for the actual game.

Now I just think you're delusional. It's much easier but it's still a challenge for most newcomers. This guy is literally saying he can't get past 40% ALREADY USING CONTINUES after hours of practice. And now you want him to cut it out and jump into one level higher difficulty going for a 1cc? Delusional elitists like you belong in /vg/'s shmup general.
>>
I will never get over the fact that Clownpiece not only has two survival spells, but also ends with one.
>>
>>15359719
Atleast they're both easy to get good at with little to no randomness.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 399x397) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 399x397
What the fuck did I just start in here?
>>
Also, I can't get the vpatch to stick, even with AppLocale and following all the instructions.

Damnit, I wish ZUN would just release the source code, at least to his older games, so we wouldn't have to play meta-games like this.
>>
File: 1463587447846.png (26 KB, 419x296) Image search: [Google]
1463587447846.png
26 KB, 419x296
>Can't grab a life piece because it's under Okuu's huge balls
>>
I don't understand Mokou's spell card 199. I'll sometimes capture it and other times I get hit multiple times. Does the laser activate at the same 2 spots every time or does it change depending on my movement? Sometimes I'm like I was far enough left or right you bitch!

Also I'm mostly getting wrecked on spell card 202. If I get hit end up having to use a ton of resources to get through it. I've tried acting as though I didn't just get hit with my movements so everything is in the same spot when the boss comes out of being immune and I've tried just standing there and having her throw all her bullets in one spot. I'm having a hell of a time recovering in that phase. I probably just need to do the former better. Anyone got any tips?
>>
>>15360625
Figures. I just captured the first one and did really well on the other. Even captured the second to last spell card for my first time. If only i didn't fuck up the other phases I could have won that time.
>>
>>15360249
Installation varies. I'm assuming pcb? What OS?
>>
>>15360625
>>15360713
> Does the laser activate at the same 2 spots every time or does it change depending on my movement?
It activates at the spot where your character's hitbox was when the laser appeared on the screen.
>>
>>15360774
Wow I just tried it in spell practice to understand what you meant. Ya I totally had the wrong idea for that spell card. No wonder I couldn't do it consistently. Thanks.
>>
I just got it. Beat IN extra with Reimu and Yukari. Sloppier than I would have liked. I think I'm going to go for it again. That was a really cool fight. I hope there's other one's on this one and Ran's level.

Yukari looks like it will be good. I haven't tried that one much yet. I'm like half way or more on Suwako. I'll probably finish that one next. I just really liked Mokou's fight from trying it when I had first beat IN on normal. I just realized I could practice spellcards for the extra in IN so I decided to revisit that one.
>>
>>15361025
And again. That one was better in someways and worst in others.
>>
>>15359592
>The patterns remain the same, they're just harder
That's extremely misleading. While patterns and spells of different difficulties may superficially appear similar, they often require totally different approaches. Even in the stages, enemies will fire differently, forcing different routes. Playing on a higher difficulty basically means re-learning the entire game, since little beyond the basic skill set carries over.

I should know, because right now I'm getting bullied hard by Parsee. Fucking Parsee! Just put me out of my misery already.
>>
File: 67.png (151 KB, 504x357) Image search: [Google]
67.png
151 KB, 504x357
> use continue
> FULL POWER

How am I supposed to improve when this changes the entire approach a stage?
>>
>>15361821
By not using a continue.
>>
>>15361821
You could just not collect the power items. An extra layer of dodging!

Or do the later games just give you full power regardless?
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-07+at+05.06.42).png (703 KB, 638x476) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-07+at+05.06.42).png
703 KB, 638x476
MoF Extra NMNB yeeeeeeeeah
>>
File: does it even score scale.png (2 KB, 200x130) Image search: [Google]
does it even score scale.png
2 KB, 200x130
does your 1cc even score? anyone disagree with this make your suggestions
>>
>>15366287
You forgot Fairy wars and PoFV. And PC98 games, although almost nobody cares about those either.
>>
File: 1464644516004.png (56 KB, 187x183) Image search: [Google]
1464644516004.png
56 KB, 187x183
>SA Normal stage 5
I can't even constantly clear the stage portion.
>>
>>15366713
Yeah, it's a bitch. There are some tricks to learn (like the areas where you're not supposed to shoot), but it's still the hardest part of the game, so if you're just going for a clear then expect to spend at least one life there.
>>
>>15366350
I think FW and PoFV are part of "td-rest".
>>
File: MarisaC.jpg (140 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
MarisaC.jpg
140 KB, 1280x480
I've finally cleared SA on normal with all shot types.

Marisa B:
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=40557

Reimu C:
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=40558

Marisa C:
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=40559

I was particularly surprised with my Marisa C run since I managed to get to stage 6 with max lives.

>>15366713
Hang in there. A few months ago being able to clear SA seemed impossible, but in a span of 3 weeks I managed to clear normal completely.

You should probably check out some NMNB clears for pointers.

>>15362013
Nice.
>>
File: ded.png (902 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ded.png
902 KB, 640x480
>>15342439
Started playing DS from scratch, I'll take a little pause since I met Shou and her curvy bullshit.

Also I managed to take a picture of myself exploding.
>>
>>15371940
>Shou
>>
>>15371955
Yes I meant Shou, my bad for forgetting to say the pic was unrelated since that's Yuugi.
>>
File: Screenshot (420).png (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (420).png
20 KB, 640x480
Been playing this for few hours. This game is so damn rage inducing, I think I broke my space key. Almost every deaths feels so unfair, please tell me I'm not the only one.
>>
>>15373891
Yeah, I wasn't even able to get to stage 10 before giving up. It's just so janky, it's not particularly fun to play.
>>
>>15373891

I think it's one of the games with the highest replay value. Sliding around and kicking shit is a lot of fun. It's not really unfair, you just have to get used to the lack of vertical movement.
>>
>>15366287
eosd wr
pcb wr
in wr
mof wr
sa wr
ufo wr
td-rest wr lmao
>>
File: do you even speedrun.png (4 KB, 283x176) Image search: [Google]
do you even speedrun.png
4 KB, 283x176
>>
>>15345922
MoF
>>
>>15374581
How the heck does POFV take 76 minutes
>>
>>15374581
>only game that is not autoscroller
>why speedrun this?
>>
>>15376983
oops typo
>>
>>15376996
This. Who the fucks speedruns auto scrolling games? The photography games and IS are more suited for speedrunning.
>>
File: 2006_sou_600.jpg (36 KB, 600x361) Image search: [Google]
2006_sou_600.jpg
36 KB, 600x361
does anyone else here suck at these games but plays them for fun?
>>
>>15377075
I have to work for about a month per game to 1cc normal but I still love them.
>>
>>15377075
I've 1cc'd games before but I don't play them reliably enough to be decent at anything other than Normal. The music makes the games worth playing regardless of skill level imo
>>
File: 20160610175526_1.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160610175526_1.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
Holyshit, I have finally 1cced UFO on normal.
I haven't been this happy for a long time.
>>
>>15377315
omedetto!!
>>
>>15377315
Congragulations dude !
>>
File: Touhou.full.1967923.jpg (821 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Touhou.full.1967923.jpg
821 KB, 600x800
>>15377339
>>15377367
Thanks. Seriously though, that 5th stage is a stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>15377315
Grats. The ending music was great too wasn't it? Usually is but I especially liked this one.

>>15368206
Nice. Have you been doing all shot types for the other games or do you particularly like SA?

>>15362013
Grats. I'm still working on that fight. For some reason I can't capture her first spellcard. I always manage to get hit. I've made it to the second to last card. I got a few things to work out still.
>>
>>15377075
im horrible and it doesnt feel fun
>>
>>15377471
>Grats. The ending music was great too wasn't it? Usually is but I especially liked this one.
Yeah, that staff roll theme was really nice. The EoSD one still remains my favourite though.
>>
>>15374523
this board isnt full of talented japs!
>>
>>15377315
Congrats man!

>>15377471
Thank ya for the congratulations. For Suwako's first spell, you can actually misdirect the lasers if you stay above her after you finish the dialogue, then move back down just in time for the first nonspell to begin. That way you'll have an easy capture each time.
>>
>>15377372
The stage, or Shou? I thought the stage itself was pretty relaxing, especially after how hectic stage 4 got, and offered some good opportunities for UFO collection.

Shou is pretty tough, though half the difficulty comes from the bullshit hitboxes on everything.

>>15377075
Hell yeah, I'm fuckin' terrible, but the games are just that enjoyable.
>>
>>15378012
I meant Shou. I hate her non-spell laser attacks so much.
>>
>>15378068
Unless you get particularly unlucky on the third one, those aren't too bad. The curvy lasers are more about psyching you out than anything else. There's a lot of empty space, so just stay calm, get used to reading the angles, and keep your movement to a minimum.

I find that with laser-based attacks (Extending Arm, Promise of the Wheat God, etc), I have a horrible tendency to twitch-dodge *into* the lasers, rather than away. Staying calm is important to avoiding stupid shit like that.
>>
>>15377582
Don't have to be jap to get a WR.
>>
Noo! Not criss crossing bullets. Fuck made it to Suwako's last spell card for the first time. While I am better than I used to be at doing them I still suck at them. I wasted a life or more just thinking to myself why did it have to be criss crossing bullets. I probably could have done it had I not psyched myself out.
>>
Is there any good place to find Hard NMNB replays? I realize that's a bit of a niche, but I need some guidance for clearing MoF on Hard, and everyone who posts replays on YouTube just bombs through all the trouble spots.

For instance, the bit right after Momiji (it happens earlier in the stage as well), how are you meant to do that without bombing? On Normal, you can barely squeeze though by zig-zagging, but on Hard, the bullets are too dense to cut back through.

The game is full of spots like that with no obvious way out, so rather than ask every stupid question here, I'd rather just watch and learn from a good replay.
>>
>>15382493
that's part of the midboss extend. time down momiji, to 10-13 seconds, and it won't be there. you can just learn the part after, but it's pretty tight and most people prefer to wait on momiji (on lunatic, idk hard)
>>
>>15382493
Pretty sure a lot of places are just designed for bombing, therefore the power/bomb system.
>>
Quick question does SA have bad endings I need to know, thanks!
>>
>>15383596
Yes.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Subterranean_Animism/Gameplay#Endings
>>
File: tears_of_blood.png (59 KB, 252x235) Image search: [Google]
tears_of_blood.png
59 KB, 252x235
FUCK
UU
C C
K  K

I just made it to the last Mokou's spellcard with 0 lives and no bombs. And got hit when like 3 millimeters of Mokou's were remaining. And didn't save the replay! Fuck!
>>
>>15382493
You dodge them the same way you dodge the first barrage, streaming quickly to the left corner and going back slowly to the center
>>
Are you a bad enough dude to stream on Twitch?
>>
File: rip.jpg (17 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
17 KB, 650x366
>>15383712 >>15383561 >>15383298
Thanks for the advice, but is that a 'no' on the Hard replays? And if so, are the techniques for Lunatic similar enough to use one of those instead? If I could learn how to properly do half the shit I'm bombing through at the moment, that would probably be enough.

>>15383706
So sorry. Here, use this.
>>
>>15382493
http://replays.gensokyo.org/index.php?u=&g=10&p=&t=--&d=3&c=1&ch=8
although i wouldnt recommend not bombing momiji and the part after it because you get power back if done correctly
>>
>>15383768
I did for a little while (poorly), but it gets boring without a Mic.
>>
>>15383706
I had a similar experience with Suwako earlier. I died at the same time that she did. I haven't been close since. Hope you're having better luck than me. Either way you'll get it eventually.
>>
Finally cleared MoF Extra. That took a lot longer than I thought it would. My first impression of the stage and boss fight was it was only ok but it grew on me a lot. In the end I can say I really enjoyed it.

I never did learn spell cards 104 or 106 even after watching a replay. Spell card 105 became my favorite in the fight once I figured it out.
>>
Fucking hell. I downloaded a replay as >>15384013 suggested (although a no-death rather than no-bomb, figuring it would be more helpful), and wow. Just wow. This guy has a higher score in the middle of stage 3 than I ever do by the time I inevitably die to Kanako. Like, here he is fighting Nitori with seven fucking lives in stock. What the fuck. I thought I was doing a good job auto-collecting and getting card bonuses, but I might as well not even be playing the game compared to this guy. That's more discouraging than a thousand stupid deaths.
>>
>>15385218
Don't worry I suck too. Without watching I'm guessing he just got his faith counter really high. Your faith is a multiplier of some sort for points from items and from spell captures.
>>
>>15385293
>and from spell captures
Now that part is news to me. But yeah, he barely let the thing drop the entire time. It was maxed out by stage 6.

Apparently suiciding into dense bullets and death-bombing is a scoring technique, but I can't really tell if it would be worthwhile for doing a mere 1cc.
>>
>>15385326
>Apparently suiciding into dense bullets and death-bombing is a scoring technique, but I can't really tell if it would be worthwhile for doing a mere 1cc
150mil points is the last point you gain a life from which isn't that hard to get if I remember correctly. I would just do whatever you can do consistently otherwise you're just adding more rng making it less likely you'll get your 1cc.
>>
>>15385360
You're right, just by concentrating on the faith counter for the first three stages, I was able to get 150M by the time I fought Aya, and it hardly messed with my survival play at all. Now I just need to stop dropping spaghetti all over stage 4, and learn Sanae's fight, and then I should be able to crash-land through Kanako into a clear.
>>
Would anyone be interested in an upcoming gameplay competition on Eientei Forums? It's budding into a pretty huge event and everyone of all skill levels are welcome.
>>
File: Suika & Yuugi.jpg (90 KB, 332x227) Image search: [Google]
Suika & Yuugi.jpg
90 KB, 332x227
I've been trying to beat EoSD Extra for quite some time, Counter Clock always gets me, if Maze of Love doesn't do it first. I also still can't 1cc IaMP

Don't you dare say IaMP doesn't count, the HUD fucking shatters
>>
File: Osa-Kaguya 1.png (22 KB, 384x291) Image search: [Google]
Osa-Kaguya 1.png
22 KB, 384x291
>>15388221

I can get about 300-350M faith by the time i reach Stage 4, until it drops to 50M and my lives to 1 by the time i reach Stage 5
>>
File: HRtP 1CC Hell.png (31 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
HRtP 1CC Hell.png
31 KB, 1280x480
>>15373891 here, I finally did it! 1CC on hell route, it's been so long since I accomplished something.
This game is so frustrating but addictive at the same time. I've been suffering from the tetris effect since I began playing it and I can't stop seeing that orb bouncing without even closing my eyes.
>>
Hey guys, apologies for shilling but would anyone in this thread be interested in a Touhou gameplay competition? Players of all skill levels are welcome.

Just look up "Eientei Forums" on google if any of you are interested.
>>
>>15392661
You already asked this a few posts ago
>>
>>15392661
2hu SUCKS dude
>>
One day I'm gonna 1cc stage 3 practice mode

>>15393223
You take that back
>>
File: ReimuC.jpg (88 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ReimuC.jpg
88 KB, 640x480
>>15377471
>Nice. Have you been doing all shot types for the other games

Aside from SA, I've 1cc'd with all shot types on normal for EoSD, MoF, PoFV(?, If you count that), TD, LoLK (PD mode, ).

I think I only have PCB, IN and UFO, DDC left (I mean I've been able to clear them, I just didn't do it with all types).

I generally try to clear the games with all shot types, but when I hit a roadblock I move on to something else.

>or do you particularly like SA?

For me, SA was an almost impenetrable barrier for clearing. Once I was able to clear that hurdle (I think clearing UFO and LoLK helped towards that), I was motivated to clear it with the other shot types probably more so that with my previous clears.

I'm trying SA lunatic now (and thanks to the practice tool), I've kind of got a hang of the spell cards for the first 3 stages.

>>15390369

>Don't you dare say IaMP doesn't count, the HUD fucking shatters

When I first saw that happen it was so hype.

I'd count it since in order to even get to fight Suika you are required to 1cc the game up to and including Yukari (I got so frustrated playing as Sakuya on Hard against Yukari, that one spell card that had an essentially perfect wake-up hit almost had me in tears).

For me, in order to 1cc IaMP, the most important thing was the spell card/super move I used, since I chose it with the specific intention spamming Suika with it (save up until the HUD blows and then let it rip).

Other than that there was a sort of counter intuitive method of beating tough bosses on normal.

If I ran into trouble I would play the game on hard and then rage/button mash until I was able to beat the boss in question. Once I did, I quit and started again on normal and was able to breeze through (if I felt like it I would simply continue on hard until the end).
>>
What touhou game should I play/focus on. I'm not a beginner. No PC98 please.
>>
>>15393663
>I'm not a beginner.
That's sort of vague.

Without any more information I'm just gonna say Fairy Wars.
>>
>>15393663
Not a beginner at what, Touhou, or shmups in general? Are you asking for the best game for doing score runs, or the hardest, or the most fun, or something else? Without knowing what you're really asking for, it's impossible to give a specific recommendation.

If you're literally just asking /jp/ to be your RNG, then I'll say 11 because it's my favorite.
>>
>>15393663
What have you cleared, and on what difficulty?
>>
>>15393733
>>15393717
I guess I forgot to specify. I guess I'm gonna go with Fairy wars.

>>15393733
Every main touhou game on normal, and the two first windows games on hard.
>>
File: 1465826299250.jpg (96 KB, 1100x941) Image search: [Google]
1465826299250.jpg
96 KB, 1100x941
>>15393663

>no PC-98 please

Why not? They're great games and LLS would be perfect for you
>>
Just got a hard 1cc in IN. I made a lot of mistakes and amusingly I got Reisen's last spell by dumb luck. I also made it to Eiren's last spell card with only 1 bomb. I still got to do Final B. I also want to say fuck Tewi. I'll never be able to dodge her bullets.
>>
>>15343399
>not because I suck at them but they make me sleepy

They make you sleepy because you suck at them, and you get tired of losing all the time
>>
File: spell 1.jpg (128 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
spell 1.jpg
128 KB, 640x480
get lucky the game xD
>>
>>15403812
Big superplayer dick!!
>>
So because I'm a bad player, I had to use Marisa B in EoSD to get the 1cc on hard.

I seriously cannot beat this game without using her bomb as a crutch to get past spell cards I don't like.
>>
>>15403969
A 1cc is a 1cc, man.

As long as you aren't giving yourself more lives in the options its legit.
>>
Funny, I've only cleared Hard with ReimuA. I seriously cannot beat that game without using her shot as a crutch so I can focus on dodging.

Actually, I think the real reason is that she gets easier cards from Patche, but you get the point. Different shot types are better for different people, and they all count. And once you clear with one, the others are sure to follow. Just keep practicing.
>>
>>15377075
Being bad is pretty fun.
>>
>>15366287
Imagine spending all that effort on a score that would actually be high.
>>
>>15371940
Nothing in the game is bullshit when you have a camera that can clear bullets! Well, maybe a few scenes...
>>
>>15377075
Yes, I started at imperishable night lunatic mode and I want to kill myself already. Gonna try easy mode next time. I just want to git gud but lunatic is well... too lunatic.
>>
File: 8-6.png (902 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
8-6.png
902 KB, 640x480
8-6 is annoying, specially since you'll be grazing the giant ass suns a lot and those things produce bullets.
>>
>Continue
>Return to Title
>Save Replay
>Give up and Retry

Why isn't there a "Retry this stage with a continue"?
>>
>>15406818
>Retry this stage with a continue
That's called stage practice. Or you could play SA/MoF/UFO.
>>
halp

>>15366713
SA stage 5 is a long dance. Aside of the cat, it's all just very careful streaming, especially in the narrow passage with spirits coming from the sides segment. You'll end up liking it when you learn it. The most important thing to learn is to manipulate and stream the spirits while exploiting the holes that naturally appear there, and make sure to just fucking bomb Cat's Walk if you can't consistently clear it.

because Orin is the true nightmare
>>
>>15377075

Yes (although I consider sucking to mean I can't 1cc hard/lunatic/extra, and I cant NMNB normal). When I'm not trying to 1cc anything in particular (or am attempting to git gud) I like to screw around with spellcard practice.

Mami:
https://a.pomf.cat/dfqaor.webm

Okuu:
https://a.pomf.cat/hppvff.webm

Mokou:
https://a.pomf.cat/cyowek.webm
>>
>>15377075
if by fun you mean to cause enough depression to eventually kill myself then yes
>>
>>15405844
walk don't run okay!
>>
>>15408472
Why are you playing then? You aren't telling the whole story.
>>
I can't use homing amulet Reimu.

I just can't. Bitch is fucking terrible.
>>
>>15408872
Then use Marisa or Reimu's persuasion needles.
>>
File: alright I'll listen.jpg (119 KB, 462x356) Image search: [Google]
alright I'll listen.jpg
119 KB, 462x356
>All right, I'm going at a great pace!
>Stage 5 ruins everything and all of my lives disappear

After a certain point I have to question why I'm doing this to myself. I've already beaten the game before, but here I am trying to do it again.
>>
>>15408872
In which game? Usually, amulets vs needles depends on whether you need more help crowd-controlling during stages or clearing cards fast, respectively. If you're choosing the one that doesn't match your playstyle, obviously it will seem bad in comparison.

If you're trying to clear whatever game it is with every shot type, oh well. You can't really say you've mastered a difficulty without at least clearing it with your worst shot type, it's just part of the challenge.

>>15409330
In which game? If you've cleared it recently but can't do it again, then you just got lucky, so keep practicing until you can do it consistently. Or, if your last clear was a while ago, then just take a few days to get back into it.
>>
>>15408742
He probably got tricked into marrying a Touhou game without chance of divorce and can't stop playing it 5 hours a day.
>>
>>15408872
For me it's the opposite, I can't use anything that isn't homing Reimu aside Reimu and gap hag in SA.
>>
>>15408742
suicide is the end goal
>>
Is it just me, or is 10's Extra really easy compared to the others? I just gave it a try for a change of pace, and almost cleared it within one session. Rather than being between Hard and Lunatic, it feels more between Normal and Hard in terms of difficulty.
>>
>>15411361
Yeah it's one of the easiest ones. How far did you get?
>>
>>15411361
Saw your post and figured I might as well get around to clearing it today. Not a very difficult extra to clear.

Died like 3 times to spellcard 105: 蛙狩「蛙は口ゆえ蛇に呑まるる」 (Frog Hunt "The Snake Eats the Croaking Frog")
>>
>>15411443
To her penultimate spell card, then died because of completely misjudging the hitbox of the large bullets.

I had a really stupid death on Long-Arm and Long-Leg, because I went forward absolutely confident of fitting through the gap, but was slightly misaligned. That one is deceptively hard, like Unremembered Crop.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.