[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I'm making sushis for the first time. Any advice /jp/ ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
Today I'm making sushis for the first time. Any advice /jp/ ?
>>
Make sure you use good rice and fresh ingredients. It will be ruined otherwise.
>>
>>14759609
This. Sushi must be done with the freshest ingredients you can, and it must be eaten soon after if was made.
>>
>>14759609
>>14759623
I have salmon from the supermarket, but I know a trout producer who can sell me some fresh ones. Is it okay ?
>>
File: 1318272415966.jpg (211 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1318272415966.jpg
211 KB, 600x480
>>14759676
Make sure it is sushi grade
Ask them beforehand, sushi grade involves flash freezing the fish when it's caught on the boat to kill any possible parasites or other ailments.

Make sure you have the right tools too.
I use a zojirushi rice cooker with a sushi rice setting, koshihikari rice (which you can buy on Amazon), a cypress hangiri to mix the sushi rice in (cypress is best for anti-bacterial material and moisture absorption), and a hand-sharpened sushi knife. Price and quality of the knife aren't as important as learning how to sharpen the knife yourself with a whetstone.

Make sure you vinegar your sushi rice, the rice is the most important part. After you mixed it in the hangiri, let it sit and dry a bit, them softly form it with your hand. Do not tightly press it, but just shape a SMALL amount of rice for the sushi in your hand if you are making nigiri. Once you place the fish on it, it will dry a bit and hold its form better. For rolls, put less rice on the nori then you think it should be, and leave a little exposed so when you roll it with your bamboo mat, there is wet nori touching nori, which will help it stick and form better. Too much sticky rice in sushi is a common rookie mistake, it's supermarket sushi tier.

Good luck
Plenty of practice is key. Don't expect your first attempts to be good. Sushi is a long-term culinary skill which you will learn about the more you actually do it.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.