[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is minimalism big in Japan, or are they like Americans with shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: booppeed.jpg (814 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
booppeed.jpg
814 KB, 1920x1080
Is minimalism big in Japan, or are they like Americans with shit everywhere, but less space? Americans like to buy a lot of toys and fill their basements with boxes of shit, have yard sales, go to yard sales, etc. I'd describe most American homes and rooms as cluttered. Essentialism might be a better term. Sometimes in Ozu films and Miyazaki films things seem really serene and simpler, but other times they have clutter, though it looks a lot more comfy. Norwegian Wood had a very simple feel to it (though with some late 60's hippie influence), but the director was Vietnamese. Thank you so much in advance for your insight Japanese experts.
>>
I never see a middle ground. In Japanese TV, if they show someone's house or apartment, it either looks like an Ikea photo shoot, or a hoarder's den. Finding the ground between minimalism and consumerism is very hard. You shouldn't live without things that may bring you happiness, but the priorities of "what makes you happy" should be examined carefully. There is such thing as practical clutter.
>>
>>14456795
>Is minimalism big in Japan

The only empty looking things in Japan are super rich people's luxury traditional houses. Aside that they're messy as fuck.
>>
>>14456795
Hahaha no
If not, it's usually even worse than most Americans due to tiny living space. Japanese are fanatics about throwing shit away though.
>>
>>14456795
https://twitter.com/anlgc/status/669058251401486336
>>
>>14456795
I've never been to an overly cluttered Japanese living space. They typically just buy what they need, not extravagant multiples of it like Americans.
Musicians tend to have messy places though since they just go there for sleep and fuck
>>
>>14456889
needs more stuff
>>
>>14456795
Not all American citizens are white. Nice stereotype.
>>
>>14456795
Do you have more examples of Japanese minimalism? I'm trying to
>>
>>14456795
love it when people talk like they know so much about things they have no clue about. good stuff anon.
>>
>>14461539

care to explain your animosity? The whole point of the post was an inquiry because I'm ill informed....
>>
>>14463665
You were caught slipping by the American yardsale otaku, plain and simple. Maybe next time you'll think twice before talking out of your ass.
>>
>>14463727
what the fuck
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.