[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Irish art students
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
File: irish flag.jpg (20 KB, 390x285) Image search: [Google]
irish flag.jpg
20 KB, 390x285
Any Irish fags here enrolled in any art schools? I'm looking at doing Animation drawing studies next year in BCFE because it looks like one of the only schools that doesn't suck. Anybody done this course before/
>>
>>2516373
I am currently in the course actually, it's a really good course but woefully underfunded, a good chunk of the staff are from the old Bluth studios after it died. Animation Drawing Studies/CDS is piss easy to get into but pretty necessary if you don't have much experience in animation. You can get into CCH/Animation with a decent portfolio but the standards are higher, more importantly you WILL be playing catch up in CCH if you don't, most of the students will be from CDS and have been working within the college and as such have a year head start.

IADT is ok from what I heard but I don't know a huge amount about it desu
>>
I've heard NCAD is good as well, but it's expected that a load of first years will drop out because the teachers don't give a shit about them and only want the best to stay. If you can handle that though, they've got fantastic facilities.

I'm probably going to go to IT Carlow this year because I'm a poorfag though.
>>
>>2516388
Yeah I heard that ADS is mainly about beefin up your skillset. I've heard good things about the learning process there.
How do you find it? Is there a lot of practical work? Typical modules? Also have you noticed an improvement in your drawing skill?
Sorry for the quickfire questions, just really curious about it.
Haven't heard much about IADT either but from what I have heard it is also very underfunded. A lot of people have been complaining about lack of facilities and the like.

>>2516413
The concept of core year in schools like NCAD and LSAD is a joke desu. You're basically paying a shit ton of money for the staff to neglect your education.
>>
File: Alldogs2.jpg (2 MB, 1607x1352) Image search: [Google]
Alldogs2.jpg
2 MB, 1607x1352
>>2516556
ADS is purely improving your drawing ability and yes I had massive improvement while doing the course. Pic is what I was producing during the latter half, it's not perfect but it's a lot better than how I was at the start of the year which was very scratchy with poor line control.

The modules are burdened by it being a level 5 which means you're stuck with communications, painting, sculpture and work experience. Painting is very good for colour theory and the tutor is very good, work experience is 3 weeks on site at dublin zoo drawing animals so those two are very good. Sculpture is way too fine art for the course and communications is the joke of the irish education system.
>>
File: Chair Pose.jpg (832 KB, 921x1656) Image search: [Google]
Chair Pose.jpg
832 KB, 921x1656
>>2516561
The other modules are classical Drawing, basic animation (squash stretch a triangle etc), layout design (tutor was head of layout dept at bluth studios) and figure studies/life drawing.
>>
>>2516561
Level 5's are a bit shit alright. I just did one in Art craft and Design, of the 14 people who started 6 of us finished, the rest were there just to get the dole and dropped out halfway through. Communications was a huge waste of time, work experience was alright because there were a lot if galleries open for a big annual festival.

We did alright with sculpture and painting though since this was a more Fine Art related course. I'd post the work I did but it's all still being assessed. I did learn a lot there but it could be a lot better.
>>
>>2516575
Good news, if you've done communications you don't have to do it again!
>>
>>2516561
Thanks for the info man! Greatly appreciated.
>>
File: stuff 008.jpg (1 MB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
stuff 008.jpg
1 MB, 1728x2304
I did a ADS and a year of Illustration before dropping out

>>2516388
Pretty much this. Main problems being that the equipment is dated due to lack of funding, and most of the tutors are no longer relevant in the industry and are purely focused on traditional animation methods

IADT is a lot broader in scope. I've heard great things about the course there but it's geared less towards working in a studio and more to developing your own identity and work

ADS is half-bollocks. The life-drawing is fantastic, as is layouts but the rest is fairly shite

Saying that I left BCFE four or so years ago so could've changed
>>
>>2516679
Well like I said ADS is geared towards improving draftsmanship and is also burdened with FETAC mandatory modules. The diploma has 2 modules dedicated to 3D animation though you might be talking about computer based 2D animation in which case, yeah they are a bit behind the times but the course content is very good and industry focused. The course is in dire need of funding but is the best practical animation course in the country, we are a fairly small country after all.

>>2516413
Also NCAD is a joke and mostly a big embezzling scheme at this point
>>
File: ivory-coast-flag[1].jpg (5 KB, 340x226) Image search: [Google]
ivory-coast-flag[1].jpg
5 KB, 340x226
>>2516373
irish. ya!
>>
File: download (8).jpg (4 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
4 KB, 299x169
>>2516817
Hey you're not nose bro, nose bro is far better at shitposting than that.
>>
Just finished this course a week ago actually. Most classes are pretty shitty alright (sculpture, painting), but the figure studies, animation and layout are amazing when it comes to how you improve. Definitely worth doing if you're planning on moving up to CCH or IADT afterwards.
>>
>>2516563
>>2516679

Very interesting works.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 490x572) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 490x572
Does anyone draw landscapes here? Do you make use of a compositional grid, like the 'Compose-It Grids'?
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 960x641) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 960x641
http://youtu.be/wHiJkLmclkA
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.