[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/IC/ Concept Challenge #1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: conceptartchallenge.png (17 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
conceptartchallenge.png
17 KB, 500x489
Extension from >>2246704

Design a character for a survival horror game.

>BRIEF

Platform: We'll be releasing the game on PC, PS4 and XBOX one.

Visual style: Photorealistic with about 20% styling/exaggeration. Think Indiana Jones, larger than life. Cinematography is on the style of Sleepy Hollow (1998 film) http://evanerichards.com/2009/1355

Gameplay style: 3rd person action/adventure with exploration and shooting. Ref gears of war, resident evil 4/5/6, uncharted series, Tomb Raider, the evil within.

Setting: Dilapidated house in and alternate version of the 1945 in war torn France. The house is connected to a complex with underground nazi labs where experiments are being done in humans and animals. The environment/ architecture is a mix of art deco and googie architecture, run down from constant bombings from allied forces.

Protagonist: Allied war prisoner, french, about 30 years old. Beaten up and exhausted. No exceptional skills except some military training, slightly above average joe thrown in a situation over his head. Moved by instinct of surviving and escaping the nightmare he's in. Starts the game without any kind of weapon or equipment.

Design requirements: Since we don't want to overload the screen with UI, the character should have equipment and weapons visible at all times on the character model. The standard loadout is a melee weapon, small arm and rifle. Loadout can be changed at checkpoints or by switching guns when picking them up throughout the level. Loadout never exceeds one of each categories (one melee, one handgun, one rifle).

>CONCEPT MATERIAL NEEDED

- Character exploration
- Character evolution throughout the game
- Equipment studies
- Orthographic views to help out the modeling team
- Material and equipment callout sheets
- Expression and movement studies for the animation team.
>>
>ILLUSTRATOR MODE:
Design the game cover. Cover should preferably include the protagonist in some sort of action moment/pose. Try to make it eye popping but keep in mind the aesthetics described in the concept brief. Keyword for the mood is tension. Design and composition is up to you, just make sure to leave space for the logo/title and layout items (studio name, ESBR rating, etc)

>JUNIOR CONCEPT ARTIST MODE
Design the character in a finalized pose, bearing in mind the specs given in the brief. If possible post your sketches and iterations.

>CONCEPT ARTIST MODE
Same as junior mode, but add in equipment and character animation studies. Those don't have to be refined, just a general idea on how the character react and moves about.

>SENIOR CONCEPT ARTIST MODE

In addition to the other two tiers' work, do equipment studies and character evolution throughout the game.

>LEAD CONCEPT ARTIST MODE

Do all of the brief (exploration, callouts, orthos, etc)

>ART DIRECTOR MODE

Sit on your ass and bitch about this challenge.
>DEADLINES

Illustrator mode: 1 week
Junior concept and concept artist: 1 week
Senior concept artist: 2 weeks
Lead concept artist: 3 weeks
Art director: You're the boss, you don't need a fucking deadline.

Have at it /ic/.
>>
File: magictrick.webm (265 KB, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
magictrick.webm
265 KB, 486x500
>>2247063
sure
>>
>>2247094
Why is she wearing lipstick?
>slut
>>
>>2247094
She's cute
>>
File: IMG_20151010_191839936.jpg (878 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151010_191839936.jpg
878 KB, 1456x2592
Once again, setting the bar nice and low. Pls do better than this.
>>
>>2247063
This is awesome, will be participating. Thanks anon
>>
File: character_sketches.png (574 KB, 1500x1217) Image search: [Google]
character_sketches.png
574 KB, 1500x1217
Sketching for a bit, throwing out some quick ideas for the top of my mind. Not sure if I'm gonna finish this, I just wanted to have some fun.
>>
Okay now that I've found the thread again...
Better OP image, I like it.
Just got back so I'm gonna get to sketchin.
>>
>>2247094
That fucking nostril is distracting

I'd give her a 6/10 overall
>>
>>2247191
Well I'll say I wish I could have fun as good as you
>>
x-post from >>2247447
if anyone is bored enough to do this challenge, remember to watermark the shit out of whatever you post, if you don't have a site you want on the image, i suggest "OP IS A Fine trust worthy gentleman"
>>
>>2247124
pedo alert
>>
>>2247094
you got the job

mister art director
>>
>>2247449
OP here
I approve of this message. Put a watermark on your pieces if you're really scared I might steal your stuff.
>>
>>2247063
bump i wanna do this too
let not let this idea die
>>
>>2247456
Guess what, I am actually a pedophile.
>>
>>2247063
Kinda sounds wolfensteiny, I'm in...
>>
>>2248039
No you're not, if you actually were you'd never admit it.
>>
>>2248043
Why wouldn't I. I'm anonymous here and the government doesn't care because I've never done anything wrong.
>>
>>2248046
Because it's part of their condition, the ones who actually are physically can't admit it.
>>
>>2248048
How does that work. Is it physically impossible for you to you're gay?
>>
>>2248049
No anon, I'm just using facetious hyperbole to add to the joke.
It's gone on long enough though probably, especially since this thread isn't about this at all.
>>
File: stuff.jpg (406 KB, 2000x1485) Image search: [Google]
stuff.jpg
406 KB, 2000x1485
>>2248051
This shit took a turn for the dark side really fast.

Anyway, more sketching to keep this shit alive.
>>
I might sketch something out soon, but lurking this thread for now. I hope this'll become a mainstay in /ic/, it's very interesting
>>
File: nazighost.png (367 KB, 1200x2000) Image search: [Google]
nazighost.png
367 KB, 1200x2000
Pretty self explanatory, huh?
Where do I collect my prize?
>>
>>2248177
fucking hell, we are trying to scare the player not kill them
>>
I don't know if I should bump with what I have or just wait until I refine it more and post it.
>>
Impossible for me to trust threads like this anymore and see them as anything other than "do my homework anon"
>>
>>2248574
Nobody wants your shitty scribbles, if they did you'd have a job instead of being here.
>>
>>2248579
because the people trying to hire me are totally same people who would try to scam some free art off of 4chan.

Sorry anon, i forgot i was a braindead retard for a second
>>
>>2248583
You are a braindead retard. Nobody wants your shit art or your shit blogging about how you're not going to participate in this thread. If you're not participating, shut up, hide the thread, and go draw some shit to throw up on DA with a thousand watermarks over it.
>>
>>2248574
>>2248583
If you're that worried about it, you could always just change a couple of things in the brief that would be essential if this was a guy trying to scam art for his project. Like, instead of designing for a photoreal survival horror video game, keep the rest of the brief but design it for, I dunno, a heavily stylized horror comedy animated movie or a weird horror point & click adventure with a very unique art style.
>>
>>2248605
Are you implying draw or die is the one that first came up with this? ffs dude
>>
>>2248612
Yeah atm. It was not an original idea from them though.
>>
>>2248605
I don't even understand this comment. That's like telling people not to learn by doing studies because omg EVERYONE does studies. If someone wants to learn how to be a concept artist how the fuck are they supposed to practice it without practicing it? And if you're talking about the idea in the brief itself, you clearly haven't been paying attention. A bunch of people wanted unoriginal ideas, in fact later we're supposed to use actual briefs from old projects to help people be at ease about the whole "oc donut steel" thing. Seriously what are you even trying to say with this?
>>
>>2248621
Yeah, you guys obviously didn't look at the discussion in the previous thread. We decided it's not going to be a competition, it never really was in the first place, with there being any prizes or anything involved, we were just considering a way of deciding who best met the criteria given, but since it's now been made so that people can do different things, that kind of comparison won't work so we're just going to discuss and critique, not proclaim any "winner". And I'm sorry you think it's "unoriginal" but there's no way to practice doing a thing without actually practicing doing the thing and if you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>2248605
Well, I didn't know draw or die had the monopoly on these kind of exercises.
Everybody, pack your stuff and go home, the challenge is over because anon said so. We totally don't want to be copycats, right?
>>
>>2248626
I don't even know what the hell draw or die is and I really don't care. If you're not doing the challenge, fuck off. You're not saving anyone from the boogeyman out to steal their precious sketches, and in fact that's not even why you're here doing this. You're here because you have nothing better to do than try to troll and distract people who just want to do a simple fucking exercise to better themselves. Considering the time you've put into it, there's no way you've been dedicated to your craft enough to draw something anyone would want to "steal" in a hundred years. Multiple ways of drawing something for the exercise while avoiding theft, on the off chance someone actually wanted to, have already been given, but anyone who'd draw anything remotely valuable knows that the rare occurrence of theft of one or two generic and cliche as fuck designs as what's being asked for here won't make or break them.
tldr Shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.
>>
>>2248574
Jesus fuck, this argument again.

Every single time you post something online, you're setting yourself up to be ripped off, be it in 4chan or in facebook. Why the fuck would someone in their right mind, trying to get into the industry would steal other people's design? It's a well known fact that those guys get caught sooner or later, and pretty much blow their chance of getting actual work in the industry.

Also, here's another lesson in concept art: 90% of what you're going to do is going into the garbage bin. If you got that fucking "MUH SPECIAL DESIGN" mentality for everything you produce, you're not going too far. Everybody's got ideas, that the easy part. I just had two design ideas while on the toilet, I don't hang on to them for dear life like they're the best thing ever. Being able to detach yourself from the work you're producing and understanding that you're doing a job is the way you go. If you can only muster the strength to make one decent design and hold on to it for dear life, you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>2248641
Dude, he or they don't actually give a shit about anyone trying to use them or steal their art, they probably don't even draw. They're just trying to fuck up the thread. I've stopped replying to them, and it's best that everyone does too because all they want is for us to waste time arguing with them. Like I said before, anyone who actually cares about Muh OC has been given more than enough options including not doing the challenge, it doesn't need to be discussed with anyone any further.
>>
>>2248646
Why so butt hurt anon? Still trying to be like Ricky Martinez?
>>
>>2248672
>Poor attempt at trolling

At least put some effort into it, son.
>>
>>2248646
Samefagging.
> stop it.
>you are not Ricky.
>>
>>2248673
Be original anon. Come up with something on your own please. Sad.
>>
>>2248673
>Son

>tries to sound mature and older

>cold reality. 40 year old virgin.
>>
how do you add nonredundant, purposefull features to a completely generic character?
>>
>>2249199
I tried looking up french dudes and then just kind of sketched and messed around with the shapes of the features. I think I've come up with a fairly unique looking face, at least one I'm happy with.
>>
File: 3dpaintover.jpg (419 KB, 2000x1597) Image search: [Google]
3dpaintover.jpg
419 KB, 2000x1597
>>2248126
Continuing with the sketching thing. Did a quick zbrush block and painted over.

Let it sit on the oven for a while, came back to it and did some self assessment that I need to fix in the next iteration:
- Right now he screams more american than french with the square-ish jaw
-Too buff for a captive and weary soldier, should be skinnier.
-shapes need more contrast (colors,proportion relationships) between them
- must review color scheme without making it a saturation neon fest.
>>
>>2249232
Alright dude, why aren't you just actually doing this professionally? Or are you, in which case why are you wasting time here??
>>
>>2249232
Just draw jean reno and call it a day.
>>
>>2249238
Apparently he's Belgian.
>>
>>2249236
I get paid to do somewhat concept art, but it's mostly mobile gaming cutesy shit and icons, still trying to gain experience to get in a higher league (send my portfolio to a bunch of places, get the usual "not what we're looking for/ not enough experience). I do this shit because I like it.

>>2249238
No, let's not get into a "LOL ELENE PAIGE IS IN THE LAST OF US" territory. Using someone's likeness is a tricky territory and anyway, it wouldn't be a challenge if I'd just have to copy someone that already exists.
The issue with making a french dude is that french isn't a race per se, it's a nationality. I don't want to fall in the stereotype/caricature either, and that's where the challenge lies.
>>
>>2249265
You aren't drawing jean reno, you pulling a shinkawa where everyone is david bowie.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.