[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heart: Broken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: f12.png (17 KB, 452x412) Image search: [Google]
f12.png
17 KB, 452x412
Sup /ic/. The story is long and boring so you might skip some parts. But im kinda shocked right now and 4chan is the only person i can share this with.
So...i have a friend that i talk to sometimes in a normiebook. He is a guy older than me from music industry.
Once i had a serious problem with life and he talked to me giving life-advices and other stuff like that and in return i drew his portrait which he put on an avatar and other normies liked it calling me "very talented :-)".
This basically was our friendship/bonding thing.

Later he suggested me to work on an animation video for his music track. We talked about it with couple-three messages and got excited.
The thing is...i thought he was suggesting me a job. And i will work with him later when i will be free from my current project im being busy with.
In reality...today when i talked to him it turned out like he was expecting me to draw it FOR FREE all this time...and he thought i actually already have something to show.
I was shocked. I had no idea that he actually expected me to do all that hard work for free.
Dont get me wrong - i suffered from "Hey mr.Artist! do this for me for EXPERIENCE AND EXPOSURE :D" bullshit many times but it was back in the day when i was starting to draw.
And i had no idea that a person who is an artist himself from a music industry would actually ask me to draw animation of a song (that means more than 3 minutes) for free.

I sent him a message politely explaining that "um...am i understood you right?" and explaining that it's a hard work that no sane artist would do without payment.

(continue)
>>
>>2432970
(continue)

The thing is...i dont actually have friends irl. Only clients in the internet and friends that i found through drawing days.
I was so excited to have this person as a friend. I was under imression of "Oh wow! i have a friend who is a guy from music industry!" feel. And i don't want to loose him.
In the other hand...im starting to think that if this person actually was expecting me to do a full animated video for free then he might not respecting me...

How to save this friendship?
Anyone been in such a tricky/confusing situation?
>>
we /r9k/ now xD
>>
Read sticky/loomis
>>
>>2432986
>>2432991
ROFLMAO
ebin xdddDD
>>
>>2432970
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>2432970
/ic/ isn't really for advice, dude. And next time instead of making a thread all about yourself you should make a general of some kind (ex "art problems thread" or whatever) and put your post AFTER the OP.

You should not do the work for free just to keep a potential friend (who sounds like an entitled dick just using you for free work). Something like a little sketch for a friend or a special piece as a gift for a birthday is okay, but once it goes into a full-fledged project (especially one they could make money off of), FUCK. NO.
That's your time you could be using on other projects that pay you. You know, the ones where you get money instead of misery?

>tl;dr: If he's not okay with you bowing out, he isn't a real friend in the first place and isn't worth your time.
Explain to him that you just don't do work like that for free even for family, nothing against him it's just your policy put in place to protect yourself. I'm sure he wouldn't write an entire album for someone to take and preform for free and with no chance of royalties, so why the fuck should you?

If he reacts well then great, you can still be friends. Chances are he won't, so be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, accept that there are things you cannot control and focus on the things you can. People come and go - don't cause yourself grief because you're so desperate you're willing to be around a user. You will find other friends in time.
>>
File: image.jpg (803 KB, 2002x1972) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
803 KB, 2002x1972
>>2432972
Welcome to the music industry. It's like Hollywood but worse.

When I was first starting out, I got talked into providing storyboards and planning for a music video by a label owner I knew. Being wet behind the ears, I made the number one rookie mistake of not discussing payment up front. Several sleepless nights and a lot of energy drinks and cigarettes later, I turned in the project. Now while it wasn't brilliant being early work, it was still a perfectly usable and lengthy storyboard turned around in less than three days (and having to start from scratch on day two due to the artist demanding input).

I got handed £30 for my troubles.

Never, EVER take on work for anyone without discussion point one, subparagraph one, minute one being 'this is my day rate, this is how many days I project to complete the project'. If they stop talking to you after that, or act affronted, they were just looking to exploit you anyway.
>>
>>2433014
Next time you even talk about starting a project, negotiate the price and contract up front to avoid misunderstandings like this again. If you want people to treat you like a professional then you sure as hell need to be acting like one.

Faggot.
>>
>>2433019
>Never, EVER take on work for anyone without discussion point one, subparagraph one, minute one being 'this is my day rate, this is how many days I project to complete the project'. If they stop talking to you after that, or act affronted, they were just looking to exploit you anyway.
THIS.

And make sure you put in a clause for number of revisions before you start charging extra, as well as cancellation fees. If they're not okay with this shit they're not serious about hiring you and getting the work done.

Contracts are made to protect both parties involved, if they're not okay with that then they're paranoid or they're looking to fuck you over.
>>
>>2433014
>You should not do the work for free just to keep a potential friend
i know and i wont ever do that in my life.
Im not sure if i have health/power even to do that for money right now. Let alone for free.
It was simply insulting and shocking to me to hear that from HIM (a grown ass person who supposed to know that).
Im confused - is he simply underestemated me or being ignorant...
Thanks for an advice!
>>2433019
>Never, EVER take on work for anyone without discussion point one, subparagraph one, minute one being 'this is my day rate, this is how many days I project to complete the project'.
thanks...yeah i wont do it again.
I did a huge mistake because i just mindlessly discussed that thing (because we are friends and stuff, and we discuss it now but seriously will work on that later bla bla bla). While you should make a clear point - is it a start of a new job or Not...
>>
>>2432996
bretty gud bred :-DDDDDDD
>>
>>2433053
lel ebin maymayo friendo xD
>>
>>2433014
Also
>accept that there are things you cannot control and focus on the things you can. People come and go - don't cause yourself grief because you're so desperate you're willing to be around a user. You will find other friends in time.
this why i keep visiting /ic/.
There are still great people around, im sure they will be in future and i hope to be one of them someday...
>>
>>2433086
Few and far between but yes they exist. Be the change you want to see.

Good luck with your shit, dude.
>>
my gf is the singer of a band. not a very famous or remotely wealthy band by any means. i offered to make them a abadass album cover for free (i haven't done pro bono work in over 2 years and told plenty of clients to go fuck themselves when they asked for exposure or spec work).

they legit insist they pay me atleast 500$. 125$ per person.

so yeah anon, i'm pretty sure that guy doesn't have too much respect for you or your work.
>>
>>2433117
Well damn. He was so nice to me. I thought we will be "art friends" or some shit... I didnt received an answer yet. Very curious what it will be...
>>
>>2433124

well what level is he at himself? maybe he legitimately has no idea that art can be a very real (not necessarily million dollar but still) job. but do be cautious.
>>
>>2433144
Pretty high i guess. H has several music videos on yutube that went over 4000 likes and he goes to sing in front of croud of people and stuff like that.
I doubt that he dont know about that...he knows some professional traditional artists.
May be he thought something like "he will make a video and i promote him" or so...because he had no idea how hard its to make animation.
Because he said it in a manner "Feel free to do it anytime you want! :-)".
I want to believe that he is not a bad guy...eh whatever. Im waiting for the answer.
>>
>>2433178
just let him know 10 sec of animation is not as easy as 10 sec of singing
>>
>>2433117
They only wanna pay you cause they feel bad about banging your gf.
>>
>>2432970

Guys wjat is a being an adult with an independent job xDdD
Do you contact your lawyer friend to defend you for free from a crime?
No, oh excellent cuz thats the only possible answer :^D

Only 4chan mods do shit for free
>>
Didn't read the rest of this thread so idk if anyone said this or not. Don't sperg out like you are in the op, most people don't know how hard animation is so he might've thought that it was a simple task (like the avatar). Just be polite but assertive. Aside from that, I skimmed the rest of your post and it looks like you have a lot of underlying problems. Obviously is recommend the basic shit like fitness and a healthy diet but if that doesn't fix you then see a therapist or do some research on self improvement. If you feel lonely/isolated then try to build up your confidence through the gym or something and then go to meet ups or clubs.
>>
>>2433179
Pretty much this.

I don't think that he's a bad guy. Normies see animation as easy because of the simple deceiving look and rendering as harder whereas it's the opposite(i just noticed from my friends who are always impressed at over rendered pictures but never impressed at animations). Just explain to him or make an analogy like drawing a portrait is akin to jogging for 2 hours and animation is akin to running a week long marathon. If it's really hard for you you shouldn't push yourself to do this work. Just politely refuse him.
>>
>>2432970
you're a professional ? act like one. Leave out the emotional shit
>>
>>2433117
If you're going to do work for free, it's important to pick the hill you make your stand on. A friend messaged me last week asking if I could provide some last-minute storyboards for a music video. He spelled out the situation in his opening message:

>Needed some boards at short notice to solidify a couple of ideas
>Entire budget for the shoot already spent on locations, props and camera equipment

In this rare case, I told him I'd do it and skipped a night's sleep to get everything finished. Why?

>I have know this person for years and worked with them in the past
>They worked in-house for several huge production companies in the past as a copywriter and director
>They just went solo with their old creative partner to start their own fledgling production company

In this case I was happy to do the guy a solid because I know I can trust him, and I know he'll eventually repay me by getting me in on a well-paying gig down the road.
>>
>>2432970
If he expected you to do that then you had either a serious miscommunication problem or he isn't as professional as you thought. Or you aren't.

And 5000 likes aren't that much.

Also, you sound totaly naive.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.