[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
perspective question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: perspective q1.png (111 KB, 1164x387) Image search: [Google]
perspective q1.png
111 KB, 1164x387
I'm having some trouble with a book that teaches perspective. When drawing in 2 point perspective, how do I draw a square when it's not lined up 45deg from each vanishing point? I can draw a rectangle that's PROBABLY a square, but I can only eyeball it
>>
>>2411258
There's a few different ways. You'll need your station point established first. Place your two vanishing points so that if you connect the two through the station point, you get a right angle (adds up to 90 degrees on a protractor).

Lets say you chose one vanishing point that's 35 degrees to the left of your center vision line (measured from the station point). This means your other vanishing point must be 55 degrees to the right.

The halfway point between these two vanishing points measured with a protractor would be 45 degrees (in this case 10 degrees to the right of the center vision line). Draw a line from the station point to the horizon using that angle - where it hits the horizon is your diagonal vanishing point. That connects a diagonal of the square like you're used to seeing.
>>
>>2411268
Okay, that makes sense. I'll probably need a protractor eh?

Does my Station Point need to line up with the closest corner of the box?
By that I mean, could the CVP in the image be moved a couple inches left or right of where it currently is?
>>
File: perspective 2.png (285 KB, 1155x752) Image search: [Google]
perspective 2.png
285 KB, 1155x752
No, wait. You described drawing a box that ISN'T in perspective. 90deg will draw a square that's not in perspective.

How would I go from top image to bottom image? Pic related.
>>
File: image0.jpg (74 KB, 2400x277) Image search: [Google]
image0.jpg
74 KB, 2400x277
>>2411364
Start off drawing just 2 the two inner or outer sides, then draw the DVP intersecting the corner and the vanishing line. From there you can draw a third side and use the intersections to draw the fourth.
I'm shit at explaining, so see image attached.
>>
>>2411385
Forgot to add: put the intersection of the DVP with the horizon right inbetween the two vanishing points for a perfect cube.
>>
>>2411411
Literally just about to ask about that. Thanks anon!
>>
>>2411411
Is your note right? The DVP does not hit the horizon line in the centre of the horizon line.
It doesn't hit the centre of the horizon line in MY example either. Still not sure how to ensure the thing is a cube!
>>
Maybe the morning crew can help
>>
File: squ.jpg (70 KB, 680x962) Image search: [Google]
squ.jpg
70 KB, 680x962
>>2411258
is this what you mean anon?
>>
>>2412272
If I understand this correctly, you draw a line 45deg from the Right Vanishing Point, giving you blue line #1. Then the square's diagonal is drawn from the square's bottom-most corner to where blue line #1 crosses the horizon line.

How did you determine where the Station Point (and Line of Sight) should be? Is that part flexible?
>>
>>2411258
E L L I P S E S
L
L
I
P
S
E
S
>>
>>2412743
seriously fuck ellipses, getting the minor axis at the right position is too damn hard! is there no other way to do it unless i feel that I've got it?
>>
File: squ.jpg (93 KB, 680x962) Image search: [Google]
squ.jpg
93 KB, 680x962
>>2412303
>you draw a line 45deg from the Right Vanishing Point
yea you just draw a line dividing the 90deg angle of the station point in half.
with this new vp along with the rvp you will get a 45deg angle anywhere(red). so you make it line up with one side of the square and you got a perfect one
>How did you determine where the Station Point (and Line of Sight) should be? Is that part flexib
yes
>>2412743
>>2412910
>getting the minor axis at the right position is too damn hard
it doesnt matter, you can always rotate it later into a one point perspective and from there(since its in true height) draw a diagonal to make a perfect cube in one point and then rotate it again to 2 point. you will end up with a section of the first prism
>>
>>2413434
retard here, please explain in step by step how to make a cube if you already have a perfect square set up on the ground plane.

so far I only managed to make a perfect square... but still can't do shit when it comes to the height.

and what do you mean as in "true height* when you talked about one point perspective?
>>
File: ineveraskedforthisfeels.png (522 KB, 799x650) Image search: [Google]
ineveraskedforthisfeels.png
522 KB, 799x650
>>2412910
this is the easiest way when you don't need formal perspective craperoni, i.e. when you actually draw, anon-kun...
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.