[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it offensive to ask another artist for permission to reproduce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Is it offensive to ask another artist for permission to reproduce their painting?

I found an amazing marine painting and thought it was some renaissance artist's, so I wanted to make a small study from it and if it comes out okay, give it to my dad for Xmas. It turns out though the artist is modern and has got a website and gallery online. I thought about e-mailing him for permission, but would it be rude to ask if I can basically copy his painting instead of buying a print or something?
>>
Its for a study . . . I think they'd be flattered but mostly I just wouldn't bother if the painting isnt being reproduced for commercial purposes or being broadcast in any form. I
>>
why even bother to ask? it's not like the artist is ever going to know some noob painted a copy of his work and gave it to their dad.

literally nobody cares.
>>
>>2322158
I thought I would be flattered too if it was me, but not all people are the same.
I definitely won't be reselling it, but I'd like to publish it online on my portfolio with credits to the original painter. So I guess he doesn't risk too much and maybe gets some customers thanks to the credits (his paintings are truly awesome). I don't want to risk copyright infringement though, and spare him any stress like he finds my study somewhere out of blue. Should I just ask if he's okay with online publication + credits?
>>
>>2322167
Because copyrights state that you can't copy someone else's work without their permission.
Also I'm not that noob anymore and working on my reputation, so such studies would do well for my portfolio, as long as I'm not accused of copyright infringement.
I just wonder now if that's a good idea at all.
>>
>>2322168
>>2322176
It sounds like you care more about your portfolio than giving something nice to your dad.
>>
>>2322177
Yeah I do. I can paint my dad literally everything and chances are he'll be happy, while I can't put everything to my portfolio.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.