[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: egon1.jpg (98 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
egon1.jpg
98 KB, 500x315
I'm trying to get a better grasp on contemporary art. Would anyone be able to tell me-

a few important contemporary artists
a few contemporary art blogs
important art exhibitions
important contemporary critics
>>
do your own homework.
>>
>>2601859
it's not homework..and even if it was it's not exactly easy to find clear answers on these things.
>>
It's better to just study art history from the early 1900s, the first world war, afterwar, second world war, pop art and what we have now, as branches of a tree

Nowadays most of the famous contemporary artists are either con artists and/or involved in money laundry, like those chinese guys
>>
>>2601932
>Not starting with the Greeks
>>
>>2601932
Yea I understand that what we have today is probably derivative of the last century In a lot of ways . I have a decent grasp on older art but not knowing what's going on today as much makes me feel like I'm missing something
>>
>>2602206
Nowadays no one really knows what's going on, conceptual art is already getting old and it's mostly speculation about what's gonna be the next big thing
>>
Is it really important to have a good basic knowledge of arts n stuff? In europe.
>>
>>2602814
depends on what you wanna do/are interested in. if you wanna say things about art itself in your work then yes it would be important
>>
>>2601839
I only follow contemporary realism. Artrenewal dot org is a good starting point for that. Just for news and galleries, some of the articles are a bit too angry towards abstract art for my tastes.
>>
I don't think there are any really big movements in art right now, people are doing their own thing inspired by prior movements. I don't believe we've seen a seminal artwork of the 21st century yet.
>>
>>2603583

Some say Peter Doig has done a few good pieces, but compared to the last good figurative masterpieces in the 20th from Lucian Freud and Francis Bacon he's kinda kitsch
>>
>>2602802

This. The MoMA keeps putting up shitty exhibits of abstract memers who copy the styles of the 50s and 60s when there has been a huge resurgence of figurative fine painting, both traditional and digital. No museum wants to admit that figurative painting is just what everyone wants and is the most free form of expression now, instead they condemn it as reactionary and outmoded. They might come around in time once their attendance plummets a decade from now when they are still showing the public shitty conceptual art and outmoded abstract expressionism and pop art

Also because the rise of figurative painting will make the value of pop art and later movements plummet and rich jews don't want their Emin dirty bed investments and dead sharks to become worthless
>>
File: IMG_0179.jpg (594 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0179.jpg
594 KB, 1200x1600
>>2601839
Well OP
Here is my take on it.
I just finished a week a go, an art degree from a prestigious university. My degree was actually in art research. To give an example if you have seen the movie Witch that just came out maybe a couple months ago my work is somewhere along that line. To take old artifacts, writings, and compile them together in your own way.
Much of contemporary art is based in this.Contemporary art is at a very weird place. Art research is on the rise, as in making new work from older antiquity. For some reason all of my professors were fucking jewish women. Someone needs to come about and change that up. They want contemporary art to be a big girls club. As we all can tell no one is satisfied what is going on with art and things worth noting are deemed "outsider" and only celebrated when they are deceased.
I know this is all over the place, but just from my experience, contemporary art is at rock bottom. Its an all girls club. I have sold paintings for big somes of money already. Selling a painting for a grand while still in school is impressive.
If you really want to understand the contemporary you need to do your research and no one is going to do it for you. This is really healthy advise. One of the best things you can do is to make informed decisions about art through art history. Make an opinion. Not just an illustration. There is a lot at steak, it just takes one artist to break through the mold, and upset this oppressive feminist institutions we have. I have never been so disappointed in my class mates.

Talk to someone who went to school. Get non-mainstream opinions on art history. But don't be too edgy. You must be subtle and tricky.
>>
>>2603844

> a grand

nice sell. Mind posting a pic of the painting? I'm curious
>>
>>2603844
>contemporary art is at rock bottom. Its an all girls club.
This is absolutely true

Even photography and sculpture can hardly escape

The performance/happening shitters were almost all women too
>>
>>2603844
>There is a lot at steak
>>
>>2603844
I like that sketch. I'd like to see more.
>>
>>2603744
but I went to a norman rockwell show and it was the most old people i'd ever seen at an exhibit
>>
>>2603844
so you're saying that researching old art is the most important aspect of contemporary art?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.