[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book really a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
Am I studying this book wrong? I'm thinking of ditching it for now and going back to my aaron blaise anatomy videos. I just wanna improve. Thoughts?
>>
If you already understand the basics of construction and anatomy you won't gain anything from reading it
>>
>>2595998
books great, not for beginners though. Also he doesnt go deep into anatomy. So check other stuff out for that.
>>
>>2596001
So it must just be me. What should I focus on after stick figures? What was your approach
Also im more of an mediocre artist btw
>>
>>2595998
Loomis is a shitty meme.
>>
yeah op,

just a meme.
>>
>>2596011
I like Vilppus approach, check his drawing manual, or Videos of his. Both can be found on ic. Archive maybe.
>>
>>2597772
Im just having trouble comprehending it is all
>>
>>2595998
just copy the diagrams and drawings in the book, and then copy photos of people, don't read any shit
>>
>>2597775
This. Here's some awesome videos by Vilppu and many others. His method and lessons are super easy to follow:

newDOTvkDOTcom SLASHvideos265645935
>>
File: 1391010683801.jpg (13 KB, 123x134) Image search: [Google]
1391010683801.jpg
13 KB, 123x134
>>2595998
>Is this book really a meme?
No

>Am I studying this book wrong?
Maybe. Post your work so we can see.

> I'm thinking of ditching it for now and going back to my aaron blaise anatomy videos
If it works for you, then do it. You don't HAVE to read Loomis. But its a great starting point.
>>
>>2598465
Thats sick, thanks!
>>
Loomis is a meme to sabotage newcommers
>>
File: Muscles.jpg (238 KB, 2338x1700) Image search: [Google]
Muscles.jpg
238 KB, 2338x1700
>>2598484
Well here's some of my studies from the book. I'm sure it's a good book but again maybe I'm missing something.
>>
File: Sticks.jpg (265 KB, 1700x2338) Image search: [Google]
Sticks.jpg
265 KB, 1700x2338
>>2598484
Some more
>>
File: More Muscles.jpg (204 KB, 2338x1700) Image search: [Google]
More Muscles.jpg
204 KB, 2338x1700
>>2598484
I could only get so far.
>>
File: Sticks #2.jpg (245 KB, 1700x2338) Image search: [Google]
Sticks #2.jpg
245 KB, 1700x2338
>>2598484
And lastly these. So yeah I might just drop the book and try something else.

Or do what one of these anons suggested and look at the book from a new angle.
>>
Is there anything specific you're not getting?
Figure Drawing's the only Loomis book I ever read, when I was a complete beginner. And while I found it to be a good intro to art, I didn't really gel with his way of teaching and haven't revisited him, so might be the case for you too. I powered through the whole book, which was the right decision for me as a beginner, but it's a judgement call if you've got other things you could be reading.
Loomis is a great reference to keep in mind for basic proportions though.

Looking at the studies you've posted, I'll definitely second the guys recommending Vilppu, you look to be leaning towards the sort of thing he teaches.
>>
>>2598816
Well I mean, Im not sure what to do with the stick figures and when I should jump into drawing full nude pictures. And Im more of a step by step guy
>>
>>2598816
What would be Villpu's best book?
>>
>>2598821
>>2598823
Definitely the Drawing Manual, very step by step.
There's also a super expensive(/pirateable) DVD companion series to it, but most if not all the same content is also available more affordably and in much better production quality on New Masters Academy.
>>
>>2598839
All right. Thnks. Will have to keep this in mind.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.