[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
please help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: oldpeople.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
oldpeople.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1936
I did this watercolor/white gouache sketch in a coffee shop of these two old women talking. I recognize that the quality of the picture is shit, but I'm wondering what else I can improve on. Should I grab a smaller brush? Should I spend more time planning/drawing? What can help my paintings progress? I'm worried that I'm plateauing because I need more third-party help.

Medium is watercolor/white gouache on Moleskine's smallest watercolor book. I think it's 5 x 3.5 inches or something close to that.

Thanks
>>
PLEASE
>>
My bet is that you don't want to hear this, so you can keep being cute with your moleskine, but the #1 thing I think you can do is work bigger. Like, 3x bigger. Right now you can cop out of detail like faces because its so small. You also have a much easier time managing the wet/dry mechanics of the whole image.

DESU it look pretty good, but a big part of that is the small size hides your bullshit messiness. If you honestly want to get better and didn't just start this thread to show off, start working bigger immediately.
>>
>>2593459
>start this thread to show off
I'm asking for assistance. Why the fuck would I show off something I'm not proud of?
>bullshit messiness
I can paint larger, but I have a hard time carrying around large watercolor paper for coffee shop sketches like this.
>work bigger
Okay, that's advice. I'll try that.
>>
>>2593459
Also, being needlessly crass is great. 4chan has clearly had a positive effect on you.
>>
>>2593519
>I can paint larger, but I have a hard time carrying around large watercolor paper for coffee shop sketches like this.
Then try sketching it and finishing at home. For values and colors take notes or just snap a pic with your phone.
>>
>>2593519
way to miss his point.

paint and do intensive studies on large paper and then when you are leisurely painting in Starbucks in pee sized moleskin you will know how to solve the problem simply from experience.

also look to ink and brush (not dip) to improve generally brushmanship
>>
I don't have much experience with gouache but I think you can definetely improve in terms of edges. Your values seems good and I like the overall composition
>>
>>2593415
work on the edges
>>
>>2593415
yes
yes
use watercolor pencils cut them and get a pencil extender
get pairs of escoda reservas in smaller sizes
you can work bigger by using both pages
>>
File: watercolor_brushes_shapes.jpg (11 KB, 275x270) Image search: [Google]
watercolor_brushes_shapes.jpg
11 KB, 275x270
>>2593415

Hi OP. You do not necessarily need to work bigger, especially if you just want to carry around a small sketchbook. What you need to do is change the brush you use and scale your brushwork.

- Use smaller brushes.
- Make sure you use watercolour brushes, or brushes with very soft bristles so you can apply the paint precisely and smoothly.
- Carry 2 or 3 brushes with you. Either use travel brushes or get regular ones and cut off part of the handle. A pointed round brush for fine detail, a bigger round brush for regular paintwork and a flat brush if you want to fill in large areas or for specific brushwork.
- Exercise your linework. Your lines are atrocious. It looks like you have trouble keeping your hand stable, so the lines are all wonky. On a small notebook, you can keep your pinky on the paper to guide the height of your hand.

Ok OP, I have no idea which direction you want to go in regarding working style: either controlled and precise, carefully applying the various paint layers to add all the small details; or work more freely and suggest shape and detail by loose application of paint.

Depending on which direction you go in, either take your time or exercise your brushstrokes so that they feel more controlled.
>>
If you want to do realistic stuff then bigger paper is the way to go. But working on a small surface is a good way to try to capture the gist of stuff with very few strokes and a precise control of color. The tone of the shirt with a white highlight for example - it's shaped like a blob but I can instantly recognize it. I think this is a good setup to capture interesting light when you happen to notice it - if you want to make something more detailed, based off it, you can just take out your notebook at home. So I wouldn't be too worried about creating finished illustrations, correct forms and would just concentrate on experimenting with color.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.