[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sooo... a friend of mine showed my work to someone he met at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
Sooo... a friend of mine showed my work to someone he met at a convention who is trying to pitch a cartoon show to a big cartoon channel like CN or Nick.

The guy contacted me saying he liked my work and asked if I'd be interested in doing the storyboarding.

He said if I'm interested we can setup a Skype call to fill in the details.

I'm interested but I'm not sure how to respond or what the proper etiquette is to do here because I'm a socially awkward potato.
Do I ask right off the bat how much they're willing to pay?

Do I set up a contract with them or should they be sending me a contract for hire? If I do create a contract, what details should that entail?

How do I into business?
>>
>>2590230
Basically, what questions should I be asking and when is the right time to ask and do things?
>>
>Do I ask right off the bat how much they're willing to pay?

Yes.

"What's your budget?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXYoD7wfOs
>>
>>2590257
Thanks for the video, however I already know I would never draw for free. The question is not asking whether or not I should get paid, the question is more about the timing. Do I ask what their budget is right off the bat? Should I wait until we do a Skype call?

And if he does intend to pay me, do I made a contract/agreement? If I make a contract, should it be in written form or is verbal agreement enough?

If I make a contract, what details should it entail??
>>
>>2590317
And if they're paying, should I ask for half of the price upfront before I draw anything?
>>
>>2590317
>If I make a contract, should it be in written form or is verbal agreement enough?

WRITTEN. ALWAYS.
>>
>>2590330
So what should the contract say or how should the process be set up???
>>
>>2590317
Like I said man, yeah. Ask right off the bat. You're a professional-or an aspiring one. That's like asking "Should I voluntarily waste my time" or not. Keep us posted on when the idea guy your friend bumped into fucks off the second money's brought up, though. Those conventions are absolutely full of autistic pitchmen who don't know a thing about how the real world works.
>>
Wait... a guy you know recommended you to a guy he barely knows who wants to pitch your work to someone he doesn't know? lol

Guarantee the guy's gonna say he can't pay you but you'll make it all back WHEN you get picked up!!
>>
I should also note that I work a full-time 9-5 job.
Could that hamper this or any future freelance art opportunities? Like if I yell a client I work a full-time job, will that put them off? Like theyll think I won't get what they ask for done in time or that they think doing art is my fulltime job?

I'd like to get a full-time job doing this but I feel like my current job will ruin opportunities. At the same time I can't afford to do art commissions full-time unless it constantly comes my way
>>
>>2590354
Well this guy is actually has an association with my friend so he's not a complete stranger so... I can only assume he's trustworthy?
>>
>>2590359
Just because he's "trustworthy" doesn't mean he's going to have any money or the will to pay you if he does. Do not fall for the "teaming up with your bros or bros-bros" meme. Also, actual families break up all the time over petty disputes over deceased relatives' money. There is no such thing as trust when a shit load of time and a shit load of money is involved.
>>
>>2590414
Ok so should I email him back asking for the budget or should I wait until we talk over skype about it?
>>
>>2590427
Just say "great, glad you like my stuff! I just have a few questions: ____, ____, and what is the budget for this project?" If he says he can't pay you, say "thanks for your offer, but I can't afford to take on any new projects without guaranteed pay. I hope your solo work gets picked up though!"
>>
>>2590414
This, especially the "bros-bros" thing. If you don't be smart about this, shit can turn sour quick. Also, from reading your posts, it seems like you're thirsty for exposure and you're looking up to this potential client. Don't. Remember, HE wants YOUR product, YOU'RE the one who will get the job done. He should be the one on his knees asking you to work with him and handing the cash. The artist has the power and makes the terms. Always fucking remember that (and I am saying this as someone who commissions artists).

Don't let him push you around. He's not the one doing you a favor by hiring you, you're the one doing him a favor by being open to work with him. I've been approached by guys like him, and when I ask them what their budget is, they get super bitchy and I drop them. Eventually I find out that they didn't have money in the first place, or they got some shitty international student to draw them tumblr tier art and their projects fail to launch in the first place.

On the other hand, serious clients know that you are worth your time, they are respectful, and they will openly and happily discuss any budget, plan, or other business related topics with you. Unless he's a big name himself, only take guaranteed pay.

>>2590427
How many times did you email him by now? If you stick with email and he's not serious, there's just going to be a lot of emails back and forth and time wasted. Tell him to get on skype, and if he's some cheapass, he'll be intimidated. Write a list of questions to ask him (what's your budget, when do you need it done by, what are you going to use it for) and write down your terms and conditions AND STICK BY IT. Once you're on skype, you remember the thing I wrote above and you take charge of the conversation.

Also, if this guy flakes, remember there's other opportunities in the future.
>>
>>2590257
Fucking kek
Enjoying never getting jobs if you're not willing to do it for free
I can get if from India or China kids
>itt: entitled millenials
>>
>>2590474
I haven't even emailed him back yet. My question was, since I'm socially awkward, what should be the first thing to write back?

Also, Im not so much thirsty for exposure, I just tend to worry about confrotation and the correct way to do things, making sure I'm prepared, etc. Anxiety is a bitch
>>
>>2590481
Some of us actually draw to pay the bills you idiot. Drawing something for free doesn't put food on the table.
>>
>>2590481
You can and will get absolute shit 99.9% of the time. I freelance and a lot of people buy shitty drawings from indians or whatever for lunch money and then scrap em and employ me anyway. Better results=more money
>>
>>2590481
You're retarded if you think people are entitled millenials for expecting to be paid for their work. Do you think people who write jingles do it for free? Do you think advertisers give their world away for free? Why would someone doing pre-production for an animation pitch work for free? Only retards do.
>>
op you're asking a bunch of 16-20 year old neets. why would you think anyone here would know?
>>
>>2591579
Didn't think it would hurt to ask
>>
>>2590481
how are people falling for this
>>
File: le india or china kids face.jpg (30 KB, 666x501) Image search: [Google]
le india or china kids face.jpg
30 KB, 666x501
>>2590481
>I can get it from India or China kids
>>
Op here again! Thought I'd come back with an update.

So I asked the guy how many storyboards he needs done and by when and of course, what the budget would be.

He said the minimum they need right now is 1 storyboard to show to the network to hopefully secure a green light and funding for the show.

If I just want to do the storyboard for the first ep we can work out a rate

OR

He said if I'm interested in being the art director/lead visionary for the show, then they can offer me an ownership/percentage stake in the show.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? What would you do in this situation? ?
>>
>>2590472
This, do this OP. It's honest fair and defensible.
>>
>>2591035
>>2591094
>>2591359
>>2592373

Like he said, entitled.
>B-but muh bills
>m-muh food
>>
>>2593595
I did.
This is what happened.>>2593554
Now what?
>>
>>2593643
I'd only consider taking the second one if you have known the guy for a long time and want the thing to succeed regardless if you get paid for your time. Personally I find someone offering ownership / lead visionary to someone they don't know to be a unbecoming of a project with much confidence. I'd go with your first option. Ask for a thorough description of what they'll need and what they're paying for it so you can have a good idea of how much work you're being asked to do and if the payment is worth your time.
>>
>>2593554
lol, you need to ask how much work he actually has done on this, because it sure sounds like he wants you to do all the work, so you better make sure you get paid for this, not get the ownership of something that has no hope of succeeding because he hasnt put any actual work in
>>
>>2590481
LOOOLLL
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.