[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making good portraits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
There are good books/guides to start doing portraits? I'm thinking to start with drawing heads and hands by Loomis, but I want to know if there are better options to start with the fundamentals. Simply copying references over and over seems kinda stupid.
>>
>>2588059
Idk man. I think the only way is to do just that. Draw a shit ton of portraits from reference and from your head. That being said, I could be wrong. I am not as good as the quality of work you linked.
>>
>>2588059

pretty much any good art book assumes you know the fundamentals
>read: know what they are

like this one
>>
>>2588081
you are wrong, but not entirely.

there are a bunch of different approaches to drawing and painting the head, but if you don't know any of them you end up just running in circles not learning anything.
>>
>>2588059

Reilly's method, map rhythms and planes of the face first so you can build up from it.

Most important thing - keeping everything in proportion. Even being off by very little can drastically change face of someone. So good, accurate sketching and building on top of construction:

First watch Proko to get idea what is Loomis approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

And here is Reilly's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5ZaK1XExE

Do as Kyle Hefty suggests - paint construction over photographs, it will help you with seeing those lines on proper humans and train your construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyjl741Sn0

Check this channel to set up your painting environment, preferably grab this tool or something with which you can measure accurately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZMKc0nMAg

Also he explains in other video how you can make your own color checker, will help with matching skin tones.

With skin tones - limited pallette is ok. You can prime with red first. Not big hues, make it on grayish side. Master values.

Good values = indicating planes of the face = adding volume to the face.

Remember to not overwork paintings/drawings. If you do detail, it's preferable to focus in one area and let others a bit rough.

Also don't do many highlights. Those go at the end also.
>>
>>2588092
Yeah, i think this way when it comes about just drawing over and over without any study or method. You turn yourself into a copy/paste artist dependant on literal references and doing figures with aberrant disproportions that only others can see.

>>2588117
Whoa anon, I really apreciate your help. Was searching for Proko's videos just yesterday but never heard of Reilly. Also doing studies in grayscale to get values first to do colors later, but over detailing the final art was always a problem. Your tips were very welcome.
>>
>>2588117
Thanks, Anon
>>
>>2588117
Great post, thanks anon. Was already going through Loomis but these are really helpful.
>>
>>2588059
nice info and all but is anyone gonna actually post a portrait?
>>
>>2590009
Post a ref
>>
File: marion.jpg (33 KB, 505x540) Image search: [Google]
marion.jpg
33 KB, 505x540
>>2590009
I did not get destroyed on that study, would love to know what's wrong with it.

>>2588117
Are there books about the Reilly method(s)?
>>
>>2590031
there's jack faragasso's book but other people who know the reilly method say his book isn't that great
>>
>>2590031
i would recommend ron lemen portrait dvd from cgpeers
really anything ron lemen related, check out his post on muddy colors too
>>
File: 6716.jpg (373 KB, 780x1103) Image search: [Google]
6716.jpg
373 KB, 780x1103
>>2590009
is she recognizable?
>>
>>2588090
thats a bretty good book
>>
>>2591785
Don't blend the hair so much it makes her look like she's walking through a smoke screen, just leave the rough strokes in the hair
>>
>>2591785
damn those eyes pop out harder than anything else. it's kinda worse for that
>>
File: 8716.jpg (359 KB, 780x1103) Image search: [Google]
8716.jpg
359 KB, 780x1103
>>2593573
>>2593205
i think im just gonna leave it like this
i will try to measure more accurately next time
>>
>>2590018
>>
File: tumblr_n8ezohBSpG1qaqv2ro1_1280.jpg (517 KB, 1280x1641) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8ezohBSpG1qaqv2ro1_1280.jpg
517 KB, 1280x1641
>>2596291
at least post a good res
>>
>>2588090
link?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.