[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to become KGJ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
So i'm fairly sure there have been many threads like this, but how do I become as close to Kim Jung Gi as possible?
Also if there are some interviews/videos of his worth any value please do share them.
>>
love drawing despite the result, if you can't do that you're doomed from the start
>>
>>2585200
The dog on the right corner has balls on it's anus.
>>
>>2585255
what a hack
>>
>>2585200
Stop being yourself
>>
File: 1381251521901.jpg (133 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1381251521901.jpg
133 KB, 604x604
>Clearly see blue pencil.
>He doesn't own any pencils they say.
>He doesn't rough out his work first they say.

That being said, put away your pencils and draw in mostly pen. Study your anatomy, master form and perspective. Basically, what you should be doing regardless if you want to be Kim or not.

Honestly, Anon. Consider giving up.
>>
>>2585336
>telling a beginner to stop drawing
I suggest you do the same, anon
>>
>>2585336
he does use pencils tho. just not for finished work and it's usually very rare, when he wants to make absolutely sure

>>2585200
don\t be afraid of pencils, just make them your secondary tool, like, well down the list
>>
>>2585233

THIS.
99% people who quit drawing, quit because of that reason.
>>
>>2585200
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the master. Seek what they sought
>>
>>2585871
what?
>>
>>2585903
fortune cookie way to say
>don't try to be like him, be better
>>
>>2585336
>>2585670
Is there any blue pencil previously here ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubjV3TeXpZ4

If not he's crazy
>>
>>2585233
If he draws despite the result, how can he do this ? >>2585936
>>
>>2585936
>storyboard
that's his lossy pencil drawing
>>
>>2585937
What? The point is to love drawing enough so you can put in the time and effort to fill hundreds of sketchbooks with life drawings like KJG did, where he in fact didn't care about the result. Not that you shouldn't care about the result when you are a professional paid to do something.
>>
File: 1466900620331.png (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1466900620331.png
76 KB, 500x500
git gud

no seriously. Stop trying to find some kind of magic technique. Get your goddamn sketchpad and fill every inch of every page of it with drawings.
Once you're filling an entire sketchbook every day then congrats! You're at the same pace as KJG. Now just do that for 30 years and you should achieve your goal.
>>
>>2585949
Challenge accepted.
See ya in 35 years
>>
>>2585955

He said 30 years you big cheater
>>
>>2585981
Then I say 25 madafaka
Beat me
>>
Draw with ink only and occasionally pencil, try to do what he does until you can, it will take a long time and you need to draw A LOT
>>
>>2585949
>Once you're filling an entire sketchbook every day then congrats! You're at the same pace as KJG
Source on this please and thank you?
>>
>>2585949
>People can't even keep up with the "30min drawing/day" challenge on /ic/
>expecting them to draw a sketchbook a day

what he said is true though, literally draw everything you see all the time on everything near you and go through 4-5 bic pens a day and you'll be kim jung gi
>>
>>2586011
How will that not destroy your wrists?
>>
>>2585200
Try and visualise what you want to draw beforehand including the perspective and try and draw as close to that as possible.
>>
>>2585336
>>Clearly see blue pencil.
You mean in OP picture? It is white out....
>>
>>2586048
you don't use pencils

with pencils you have to press hard and redo a line many times, with a brush pen for example you only do a light stroke and you are good to go to the next one
>>
>>2586086
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Because I recently started painting. And I feel a huge difference between painting and drawing with a normal pencil (aka I can paint for hours and feel no pain/difference in my wrist compared to drawing intensily for 30m-1h).
>>
>>2586088
I personally like the lines of pencils but I try to stay away from drawing too long with them, usually just scribbling. and when I do I use the softest pencils I can get my hands on
>>
>>2586088
>drawing with a normal pencil (aka I can paint for hours and feel no pain/difference in my wrist compared to drawing intensily for 30m-1h).
How are you holding your pencil? I draw a lot with charcoal pencils and never have wrist problems.
>>
>>2586142
charcoal is very opaque and soft right? see >>2586086 >>2586138
>>
File: claire_wendling.png (876 KB, 1008x1056) Image search: [Google]
claire_wendling.png
876 KB, 1008x1056
>all this anons dissing pencil

what gives?
>>
>>2585936
Nope, no underdrawing there
>>
File: 1399354807818.png (11 KB, 744x520) Image search: [Google]
1399354807818.png
11 KB, 744x520
>>2586375

You're misinterpreting things, its not a 'hate' for pencil, rather its just pencil is too forgiving for a beginner.

The pencil is a more forgiving medium compared to a pen. When drawing with a pen you have to think and plan far into your drawings. Mistakes are very apparent with no undo/erasing. you'll remember your mistakes and make adjustments more often than just erasing them away; in addition you'll also learn to work with your mistakes and incorporate them into your drawing.You'll learn not to over bake part of your drawing getting an understanding of only placing lines that are necessary.

The benefit is ink as a learning tool; I wish more people would tolerate the frustration in the beginning. Your shortcomings are front and center and you have to get things right on the first go. This makes it so easy to dress things I don't I understand because I'm not erasing things until I get it right. All I'm saying is, Pencil should come later.

That being said, it's not to say none of this can be learned with a pencil, just more difficult with an eraser always within reach.
>>
>>2586410
you can draw in pencil and just not erase though
>>
>>2586410
There is an advantage in being able to rework things until right for learning which ink prevents. At the end of the day every tool teaches something different so a mix of a few is recommended.

>>2585200

Learn fundamentals of drawing until it becomes ingrained to your core, once your fundamentals are strong attempt to draw from memory with no ref , erasing or construction.Do this at first by visualizing the steps in your head instead of doing them on paper. Keep at it until as good as desired.
>>
How does KJG actually DRAW from life though? Does he contour in everything in front of him? That's the impression I get from looking at his life drawings. Like, he's pretty much doing the Kimon Nicolaides approach. correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>2586597
he constantly observes and breaks down things he sees.
>>
>>2585949
>filling an entire sketchbook every day

Sadly, the limitations of having a human body make that impossible to achieve for someone like me.
>>
>>2586451
This. I think doing quick studies (Like gesture drawings) work great in any medium (I've gotten obsessed with conte crayons from my art class; teacher let me borrow hers for a day and i was hooked) but a longer study would be better done or at least started in a reworkable medium like graphite.
>>
>>2586645
>teacher let me borrow hers
>i was hooked

Nigga, I see what you did there.
>>
>>2586410
when you put it that way it does make sense. guess ill go with ink from now on.
>>
>>2585992
>>2586637
how can you be a functioning human and not understand the concept of exaggeration
>>
Hone your visual memory until you can call up a whole figure in your head and trace it out.
>>
>>2586906
you don't trace it out anon. you first visualize it, then you draw. But you need draw-what-is-in-your-brain level of hand-brain-eye coordination

it's like when you put 2 dots on a page, and then you connect those dots, but replace the dots with ''where an arm start'' and ''where an arm ends'', ''where a strain of hair start'' and ''where a stain of hair ends'' and so on, while keeping in mind brush weight, line edge, how it will affect the composition etc.
>>
>>2586906
forgot to add, kjg himself said in a video he doesn't see a whole figure in his head, but thinks of it in parts and how they connect, while keeping an eye on proportions and perspective

don't ask what video tho, I saw lot's of them
>>
>>2586989
>draw-what-is-in-your-brain level of hand-brain-eye coordination
90% sure that's what they meant by trace it out
mentally project it on the page, coordinate your hand to realize it
idiot
>>
>>2587069
tracing is when you draw over something, what I am talking about is like when you are looking at something and then redo it on paper
>>
>>2586410
>erase mistake with an eraser
>smudges all over the paper
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.