[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is inventing the figure just an exercise in memory? I ask this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1397121278752.jpg (98 KB, 394x550) Image search: [Google]
1397121278752.jpg
98 KB, 394x550
Is inventing the figure just an exercise in memory? I ask this because I have no issue doing accurate figure studies, and I can reproduce that figure, gesture and all, without the source material with a good deal of accuracy. But whenever I try to invent figures on my own, the gestures never seem right nor does anything else. I have a good understanding of anatomy and the underlying structure, but I don't feel that it helps too much in a lot of cases.
>>
Visual library + construction

Have you tried doing analytical figure drawing, i.e. Vilppu stuff?
>>
File: 1435841856450.gif (428 KB, 748x550) Image search: [Google]
1435841856450.gif
428 KB, 748x550
>>2583810
Yeah. I've gone through tons of instructional videos and books. Vilppu, Robertson, Bridgman, etc.

It kinda stresses me out to think of not being able to draw the figure without any sort of reference. I really can't tell if it's just because I haven't drawn the figure from enough angles and poses, or if I'm just retarded.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (476 KB, 1600x1595) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
476 KB, 1600x1595
>>2584228
Learn from my mistake, anon.
>draw just the simple construction frame
>Multiple angles. Sheets Of multiple angles.
>draw the frame with simple box/cylinder forms.
>Multiple angles. Sheets Of multiple angles.

Then add the muscles and drapery.
>>
I've found that having a vast visual library and having common sense is countless times better than mindlessly grinding construction
>>
>>2584317

>mindlessly

Yeah, mindless practice is generally not considered very fruitful. Insightsful post right there, anon.
>>
>>2584363
Thank you, I find that people don't enforce the 'avoid doing stuff midnlessly' part enough
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.